: water soaking up through passenger side carpets front&back

wyse18
01-16-11, 03:14 AM
recently there has been water soaking up through the bottom of my passenger side front and back carpets. iv heard that it is probably a drainage issue seeing as it only started to happen about 3 weeks ago and all the leaves and debris from fall in atlantic canada brings about a lot of crud that could be my the root of my problem. iv heard that clearing the drain from the cabin filter is the solution but im not sure where to find the cabin filter. this might also be the reason why some of my electronic systems may be malfunctioning including the check engine light which has turned on and then off again a few times, turning on after a wet one and then turning off after a few days of dry weather. if anyone could aid me in my struggle that would be much appreciated from a fellow catera owner. thanks

AL Cool Dates
01-16-11, 03:46 AM
Its your cabin filter drain, its clogged and once the cabin filter fills with water the rest drains into the cabin passenger side. Open your hood and on the passenger side near the windshield right there under the passenger wiper blade is the cabin filter. You are going to see what looks like a vent, thats the compartment, take the vent off and you have access to it. The drain is at the bottom of the compartment, I'm not sure how to unclog it though, my mechanic did it for me.

Here is a pic, top left above the strut, that leaf is right on top of it.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/263/2241/25656120026_large.jpg

waco-brian
01-16-11, 11:33 AM
that look like a 97-98 engine

AL Cool Dates
01-16-11, 12:35 PM
that look like a 97-98 engine

Got the pic from car domain, I didn't really look at the year but you may be right. The cabin filter should be located in the same area as all models right?

AHazzardToAll
01-18-11, 11:23 PM
Got the pic from car domain, I didn't really look at the year but you may be right. The cabin filter should be located in the same area as all models right?

It is a 97-98. The cabin filter is the same on all years. There are drains on each side, the driver's is clearly visible when you pop the hood. The passengers side causes the most problems, but both should be cleaned.

investor74
01-20-11, 10:27 PM
If you can't completely clear the drain hole at the bottom of the filter compartment working from the top, here is the best tip I ever got on this forum:

Turn your front wheels to the left and look into the right wheel well. There will be a plug at the top of the wheel well. Open this plug and you will see water and crud gush out.

Barry.