: please help quick fwb won't start

96brougham13
01-15-11, 10:53 AM
i have a 1996 fleetwood that is sitting in a parking lot that wont start. Now the battery is not dead but it does not make a sound when i go to start it. tried two different keys just in case of key fault but no luck. It did this last week too. I had it warming up, Its cold as hell, then i forgot something inside and needed my keys so i shut it off and when i came back out 1min later it would start, not a sound at all. then 5 min later it started like normal. Now its sitting in a parking lot and wouldn't start last night or this morning. Please Help

csbuckn
01-15-11, 12:15 PM
Have you tried moving the cables around? So the fuel pump doesnt prime, dashlights, doorchime...nothing?

96brougham13
01-15-11, 12:41 PM
everything else work just fine radio headlight dash lights just nothing when i turn key not even a sound its just like normal

jayoldschool
01-15-11, 12:53 PM
Time to check the starter.

outsider
01-15-11, 01:18 PM
yeah sounds like starter...maybe just the wires to the starter? check for corrosion or try tapping it with a hammer while a friend turns the key. sometimes that can get it spinning enough to start it up.

96brougham13
01-15-11, 01:23 PM
pulling a code 01 43 anyone know what this is?

thefleetwoodguy
01-15-11, 01:40 PM
could be pass key issue

96brougham13
01-15-11, 01:45 PM
ya this is what i come up with. I tried old key and new spare key. nothing happened. please enlighten me on this trouble code
01-43 ................................. Key resistor circuit open or shorted to battery

96brougham13
01-15-11, 02:08 PM
thefleetwoodguy nailed it. I do have two keys but i just found out that it takes 3 min to reset the key fault and i didnt wait that long. that is if google was giving me the truth. it is 8 F outside and hungover so i tell ya it couldnt of come at a better time

96brougham13
01-15-11, 02:18 PM
how can i test to see if its my key or ignition?

thefleetwoodguy
01-15-11, 10:20 PM
I doubt its the key
more likely the ignition
use an ohm meter
read the key pellet value, or bring the key to a radio shack
type place, have them read the key, now buy the resisitors to add up to that value, it doesnt have to be exactly , there is a tolerance built in so just get as close as you can, to the keys value, then go under the dash, along the column
look for two small white wires, usually in an orange sheath unplug the small plug, and put the resistors in the plug going away from the ignition
basically bypassing the ign switch, tape them in place if that solves it then it was the ign
otherwise its the ccm, its a common problem
good luck
www.thefleetwoodguy.com

96brougham13
01-16-11, 02:53 PM
thanks thefleetwoodguy before you wrote that i was ripping apart an old radio with all the resistors i needed and worked like a charm.

I got my info from here... http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

thefleetwoodguy
01-16-11, 03:50 PM
lol
I butchered a couple radios
for the same reason a while back
to fully test the ign you can plug your ohm
meter in the white plug going to the ign
put the key in and start jiggling and moving things around
see if the value starts changing, if so ign is bad
I would still just do the bypass