: Easy or Not?

renegaderob18
01-14-11, 11:08 PM
Gonna have my nephew change my heater core in my 1994 brougham since I can't due to rotator cuff surgery. He has worked on cars so has knowledge on them, but he has never worked on a caddy or done a heater core. Can anyone tell me how long this will take to take out and replace and if there is anything he should know before I have him do it? Any help would be appreciated.

sven914
01-14-11, 11:13 PM
BuY A SERVICE MANuAL!

outsider
01-15-11, 12:01 AM
I asked this question about a month ago maybe...

I believe the only advice was to remove the passenger seat for easier access. other than that, pretty standard heater core removal procedure.

thefleetwoodguy
01-15-11, 12:19 AM
removing the seat isnt necessary it does give you a lot of room
that being said, its not a hard one to change, I would say its
one of the easier ones, around an hour

Robin Banx
01-15-11, 12:53 AM
You're way too young to need rotator cuff surgery. I'm twice as old as you are and I had mine ripped up and repaired in 2004. Not nice. Good luck on your recovery.... way more important than a heater core.
Cheers.......R.

albymangled
01-15-11, 07:21 AM
BuY A SERVICE MANuAL!

plus one there....first thing I bought for my Cad....

renegaderob18
01-15-11, 11:36 PM
Do you have to remove the dash to do the heater core or where is it removed from?

thefleetwoodguy
01-16-11, 01:19 PM
Do you have to remove the dash to do the heater core or where is it removed from?

underside of the pass side dash ,
remove the black plastic cover from the underside
of the dash, and you will see the area its housed in
a bunch of screws and a couple clips

i assume its leaking?
if its not leaking but not producing heat
it just needs a back flush

turbojimmy
01-16-11, 08:23 PM
if its not leaking but not producing heat
it just needs a back flush

So a few days ago, my heat started getting colder. It's lukewarm now. So I augmented with the rear heat (coolant lines run the whole way back to a heater core in the trunk). Now THAT has become lukewarm. What are the chances of clogging 2 heater cores in a few days?

When I swapped the engine, I put a new radiator in it. The "new" 88k-mile engine was bone dry so I put all new, green coolant in it. This was about 2 months ago. Now the coolant looks like mud.

I hope whatever is going on doesn't ruin my new radiator.

I guess I gotta backflush both cores. I have no idea where I'd get a new core for the rear.

thefleetwoodguy
01-16-11, 08:58 PM
my moneys on a good flush
and Ill bet your back to hot again
if its that cruddy hook a hose up and let it run
through the system and out the bottom of the rad
it helps to remove the thermostat for a good flush
I dont think it will hurt your radiator any
turbijimmy:
ps got your check parts will go out tuesday .....

turbojimmy
01-16-11, 09:52 PM
my moneys on a good flush
and Ill bet your back to hot again
if its that cruddy hook a hose up and let it run
through the system and out the bottom of the rad
it helps to remove the thermostat for a good flush
I dont think it will hurt your radiator any
turbijimmy:
ps got your check parts will go out tuesday .....

If it ever gets above freezing here, I can hook a hose up to it. Someone installed a flush kit in the past.

Can't wait to install the "new" bumperettes - the bent ones that are on it now really bother me.

turbojimmy
01-17-11, 08:43 AM
Okay - I have 2 problems. First is the clogged stock core. Second was that the electrically-operated vacuum switch for the rear heat isn't working. There's a switch on the dash that applies vacuum to a heater-control valve via a switch. That wasn't working. I hooked vacuum directly up to the valve and voila! rear heat.

Just gotta back flush the stock core now...

renegaderob18
01-17-11, 02:15 PM
You can smell ant freeze when you start the car. Once in a while you see a drip or two when u pop the hood at the fire wall, but since it's been doing this for the last two to three months the anti freeze has stayed full.

jayoldschool
01-17-11, 06:58 PM
You have a bad heater core.

denadog
03-03-11, 04:45 PM
Did you ever get it done? MINE IS DOING SAME THING WAS IT HARD TO DO?