: New CTS-V owner

Cbort
01-14-11, 10:37 PM
Hey all, just purchased a 2005 Redline CTS-V with black interior, GM performance wheels, magnaflow exhaust and 39,000 miles! I did loads of research while trying to find one before buying and think i found a Gem!

Anyway...Quick question. I have owned a mostly 4 cylinder cars and when in high school owned a 1982 Camaro Indianapolis 500 pace car with a 350 swapped in, and it also shaked a bit when the ignition was turned off.

My question is how much should the motor shake when shutting the car off? Is too much shake result of motor mounts needing replaced?

CadzillaTN
01-14-11, 11:44 PM
Welcome. 39k on an 05 is a nice find..

A nice quick 'soft' 3-4 cycle shake is normal.. Rattling, or a longer lasting shake/shimmy with 'dieseling' sound/feel may indicate one or both mounts could need replacement. You can inspect them under the car by looking for evidence of coffee like stains on mount's top heat shields, the sides of the mounts themselves, or on the oil pan just below them.

With 39k assuming its lived a respectable life, the driver mount has probably split and lost it's supportive internal fluid. The passenger mount could be bad as well but it mainly gets squished a bit over time and may never actually split. Both issues can lead to a more pronounced shake.

V-Guy
01-14-11, 11:47 PM
From one Newbie to another - welcome!!

There are many, many folks here who know a hell of a lot more than I do about this issue, but our cars have significant problems with motor mount failures, so if you're getting siginficant vibration at any stage, it would definitely be worth checking them out.

rand49er
01-15-11, 07:14 AM
Classic MM failure.

Welcome! Post up some pics!

Cbort
01-16-11, 10:50 PM
What do new motor mounts run installed? I have seen some aftermarket motor mounts for around 400-500.00 Just for the parts.