: Key fob fixed for free!!!

AL Cool Dates
01-14-11, 09:04 PM
Hey guys, no issue but a little story to tell.

When I brought my car back in August of '10, it came with a dead key fob. It never bothered me until it started snowing here in New York. The snow was piled against all of my doors so I needed my shovel from the trunk (if you know your Catera then you know where Im getting at, had to dig out the doors to open the trunk). I said that will be the last day my key fob doesnt work. I went to the closest dealer near me and they said it would be 67 bucks for programming, I bit the bullet and said do it. 20 minutes pass and he comes back and said the key fob is busted and its 109 bucks for a new one (Screw that). I left for home and when I got there I started throwing some garbage out of my car, I was just about to toss the key fob too but then something said press a button, I press the trunk button and bam! it opened! I hit the lock and unlock keys and both work along with the gas door button. The max range I was able to get out the remote is about 10 feet all around. Did the Catera god smile on me today? :worship: Key fob fixed for free! Hell Yes! Thought I'd share. :bouncy::bouncy: :cool2:

R-Caddy
01-15-11, 12:15 PM
Cool story. Stuff like that has happened to me as well. Sunroof, for example... :)

AL Cool Dates
01-15-11, 10:16 PM
Yea, I think I figured out why he think it didnt work though, you got to press the keys a little hard for it to transmit. I will take it apart and check the buttons. Since the car has the code now, i dont think that shoud be a problem. Shoot, I wish I could trick them into fixing my sun roof switch like yours R-Caddy, it works but you have to turn it to where you want it then push it in a little.

ceehow
01-17-11, 02:21 PM
Hey guys, no issue but a little story to tell.

When I brought my car back in August of '10, it came with a dead key fob. It never bothered me until it started snowing here in New York. The snow was piled against all of my doors so I needed my shovel from the trunk (if you know your Catera then you know where Im getting at, had to dig out the doors to open the trunk). I said that will be the last day my key fob doesnt work. I went to the closest dealer near me and they said it would be 67 bucks for programming, I bit the bullet and said do it. 20 minutes pass and he comes back and said the key fob is busted and its 109 bucks for a new one (Screw that). I left for home and when I got there I started throwing some garbage out of my car, I was just about to toss the key fob too but then something said press a button, I press the trunk button and bam! it opened! I hit the lock and unlock keys and both work along with the gas door button. The max range I was able to get out the remote is about 10 feet all around. Did the Catera god smile on me today? :worship: Key fob fixed for free! Hell Yes! Thought I'd share. :bouncy::bouncy: :cool2:

WIN!!! :cool:

AL Cool Dates
01-17-11, 05:06 PM
Yea, I think I figured out why he think it didnt work though, you got to press the keys a little hard for it to transmit. I will take it apart and check the buttons. Since the car has the code now, i dont think that shoud be a problem. Shoot, I wish I could trick them into fixing my sun roof switch like yours R-Caddy, it works but you have to turn it to where you want it then push it in a little.

Cleaned it up, a lot of gunk was in it and smeared all over the circuit board. Works Flawlessly now.