: BMW unveils world's fastest hydrogen car

caddyshack24
09-26-04, 12:54 AM
PARIS - German luxury carmaker BMW unveiled the world’s fastest hydrogen-powered car at the Paris auto show. Dubbed the H2R, it's capable of exceeding 185 miles per hour.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6089614/

majax
09-26-04, 01:54 AM
A few years ago they also converted one of their 7 series into a hydrogen car. It had a normal engine pretty much just it burned hydrogen. The only negative about it was it had kinda bad mileage. Is Cadillac gona get a hybrid out there any time soon? You think they could put like a fuel cell next to a mini northstar and get decent power maybe lol.

Ralph
09-26-04, 03:09 AM
Ya but will these things be able to pull a trailer up a hill, etc?

Caddyshak I couldn't read all of that article it jammed up or something. :madtalkin

ben72227
09-26-04, 03:57 AM
Ya but will these things be able to pull a trailer up a hill, etc?

Could the Cimmaron pull things up a hill??? :p

I can see it now, the Cadillac Cimmaron with a Hydrogen engine :bonkers:

Ralph
09-26-04, 08:31 PM
Could the Cimmaron pull things up a hill??? :p

I can see it now, the Cadillac Cimmaron with a Hydrogen engine :bonkers:

Well, we're not discussing the Cimmer, that's going back a bit. The Japanese aren't "known" for making a wide variety of V8 engines with the necessary torque for pulling large objects up hills, etc. I think the Honda Pilot might be an exception, but still.

I think the hybrid cars and trucks will eventually get more powerful and will be able to do more and more. Last year it was rumoured that Ford or Chev was building a full size hybrid truck, but I haven't heard on the progress of it. The focus with this technology right now seems to be mainly fuel economy, not towing capability, butI think that will change as it slowly becomes more accepted by the consumer.

p.s. when I see a Honda Civic pulling a 33 ft. camper trailer up a mountain in British Columbia, then I'll be impressed, but it aint likely going to happen. ;)

Vesicant
09-26-04, 08:50 PM
Chevrolet just recently unveiled a hybrid Silverado actually....

ShadowLvr400
09-26-04, 10:21 PM
Oh yea, forgot this thing got bumped last night. My comment had been a lackluster whoop-dee-doo. I'll take an RX-8 over that BMW. Oddly, the Rotary motor does pretty well on hydrogen fuels. Actually keeps over 200 horses on the switch. I have a feeling that irotary powered cars will be the best hydrogens at first.

Msilva954
09-26-04, 11:22 PM
Yea, Ive read that the wankle can run on hydro without much work done at all....id imagine less then a grand to convert it......imagine local municipalities runnin round in RX8's.....