: Question about Service Stability System msg and Steering Wheel sensor

repenttokyo
01-14-11, 02:00 PM
If I get a Service Stability System msg with the steering wheel cranked hard in one direction, is that a strong indicator that the steering sensor is bad?

CancerJCC
01-14-11, 02:18 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/181784-diy-steering-wheel-position-sensor-install.html

repenttokyo
01-14-11, 02:21 PM
thx.

how can I make sure it's not say, a wheel sensor instead of the steering wheel position sensor? I am worried I might have damaged a wheel speed sensor in the recent snowstorm.

CancerJCC
01-14-11, 05:07 PM
thx.

how can I make sure it's not say, a wheel sensor instead of the steering wheel position sensor? I am worried I might have damaged a wheel speed sensor in the recent snowstorm.

Apparently a dealer can "bang" on the steering wheel while hooked up to the tech2 (and turning lock to lock) and receive "weird" readings. This is the SWPS. Of course this is just from my own research as I didn't have them do this for me.

As for the wheel speed sensor it used to be the minority problem along with the YAW sensor but more often I am reading of the wheel speed sensor being a likely failure. If I had to guess on my own part buying/diagnosing I would go SWPS (especially in your case), wheel speed sensor, and finally maybe the YAW sensor if all else failed.

Perhaps some other guys who have had the wheel speed sensor go bad can chime in but unfortunately I think the wheel speed sensor and SWPS both exhibt the same symptoms.

repenttokyo
01-14-11, 05:09 PM
How hard is it to replace a wheel speed sensor? I have read that they are embedded in the hub?

CancerJCC
01-14-11, 05:21 PM
How hard is it to replace a wheel speed sensor? I have read that they are embedded in the hub?

Haven't done one but you can make us a DIY when you do! :highfive:

darkman
01-14-11, 08:29 PM

The wheel speed sensors are embedded in the hubs, which are not inexpensive (excepting the usual counterfeits), and you have to figure out which one is defective unless you replace all four.

GM Part Number 12413103 Front Hub CTS-V

GM Part Number 89047669 Rear Hub CTS-V