Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Bike Rack

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  V-Guy 
#1 ·
I bought my wife a bicycle for her birthday recently and now she requests that I install a bike rack on our V. I told her abolutely not at first but she loves driving that car as much as me so I figured I'd look into it.

Is there anyone that uses a bike rack on their V? If so, any suggestions? I have no intentions of installing a reciever hitch on the car unless it is completely hidden and I don't want a roof mounted bike rack so I'm guessing that would leave trunk mounted my only other option. But my concerns are damaging the paint...

So I guess the questions are:
Is there a reciever hitch for our cars that is completely hidden? (I had one on my 85 chevy truck that mounted behind a folding license plate) or,
Is there a good quality trunk mounted bike rack that will not damage the car?

#2 ·
Are you both riding? If she just wants to take her bike on her own, it should fit in the trunk. I'm guessing I'm quite a bit taller than your wife, and my road bike fits into the trunk of my V fine. Fold down the seats, take off the front wheel, and put the bike in rear wheel first.

Now, if you're trying to get two bikes in there, you're probably going to need a rack. But, I wouldn't know anything about that, because I wouldn't put one on my V. :)

#3 ·
"Honey, I have thoroughly investigated this issue on cadillacforums.com, and it is physically impossible to put a bike rack on a CTS-V."

#5 ·
This whole debate depends on how anal you are about having swirl marks and hairline scratches in your clear coat, and whether or not your car is black. If your car is silver or a lighter color which doesn't show clear-coat imperfections easily, and you daily drive your V in all weather conditions, then you should be able to use a trunk mount with little risk of SIGNIFICANT finish damage (at least no worse than what your car would see in the course of its present usage). If you have a black car, only drive your car on days with 0% chance of precipitation, keep it immaculately clean, and freak out when anything other than water, wax, or microfiber touches your paint (this is me by the way), then I wouldn't let a trunk mount rack anywhere near your car. Bottom line is, you CAN use one without SIGNIFICANT paint damage, but it will leave some marks. Marks which anybody who's spent hours behind a polisher will try to avoid at all costs.

#7 ·
Perfectly stated!!

#6 ·
Couldn't she just ride the bike where ever she needs to go???

Just kidding. I have thought about trying to transport bikes with my V as well, in the end I couldn't bring myself to do it and use the wife's suv. There are some hitches that don't stick out all that far and may not be horrible looking, but I don't want a hitch on the car for 1 or 2 times a year that I would need it. Someone needs to make a removable receiver. Tuck the permanent parts up behind the bumper and just the removable hitch drops down into sight. Kind of how the European cars do their hitches.

#11 ·
The bike itself is a beach cruiser so even if she took the front wheel off it still has fenders to contend with. I'm thinking this bike rack thing is absolutely not going to happen. I just cant picture my beautiful V with a giant pink beach cruiser hanging off the back...."sorry honey, It doesn't look like they make a bike rack to fit on the V."
Thanks for all the input here guys

#12 ·
:werd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.