: How would you get this off?

turbojimmy
01-13-11, 08:27 PM
http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_emblem_goo.jpg

I need to get rid of the gunk left behind from the missing Cadillac badge. I've tried Goo Gone and denatured alcohol. I have a "new" Cadillac emblem to put on, that I got from ebay, but it's slightly larger. I need to make the footprint of the old, smaller emblem to go away. Nothing short of a razor blade seems to work and I don't want to scratch it.

Ideas?

jayoldschool
01-13-11, 08:35 PM
I use a 3M eraser in my drill. You can also just rub it off with your thumb, but it will take awhile. Clean, wax, when done.

turbojimmy
01-13-11, 08:50 PM
I use a 3M eraser in my drill. You can also just rub it off with your thumb, but it will take awhile. Clean, wax, when done.

An eraser in a drill? Brilliant. I'll give that a whirl. Thanks!

jayoldschool
01-13-11, 09:45 PM
Not a regular eraser! The 3M Eraser Wheel is designed to remove body molding adhesive.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/jaysgottavtec/prelude/e2001b8b4ae3.jpg

There are youtube videos on using it...

Robin Banx
01-13-11, 10:04 PM
If you want your new script to stick, don't wax the finished surface after you've removed the adhesive residue. When you're satisfied with the result, wash the cleaned area with 4105, an oil and wax remover sold by auto refinishing suppliers. Then apply new script (you will get only one shot so make sure it is aligned properly) and then wax the area. BTW, Cadillac deck lid script for 80's cars was available at GM dealers as recently as 2009 for $35.00 approximately and may still be around. Check it out......I bought two of them for our Cadillacs.
Cheers........R.

cadillac_al
01-14-11, 07:16 AM
I've never tried that eraser wheel; it looks pretty slick. I'm surprised the Goo gone didn't work. I was going to suggest a plastic razor blade.

turbojimmy
01-14-11, 08:15 AM
My roommate works at a body shop. I'll see if he has any of those eraser wheels "laying around".

Stess
01-14-11, 01:07 PM
I have used a "label off" spray containing (Naphtha petroleum, hydrotreated light), worked very well also worked for removing glue rests from Window Tint Film.

turbojimmy
01-14-11, 02:32 PM
I have used a "label off" spray containing (Naphtha petroleum, hydrotreated light), worked very well also worked for removing glue rests from Window Tint Film.

Thanks - I'll look for that. My roommate says that you have to be careful with the eraser wheel because it's easy to rub through the clearcoat and paint. He says it also bounces and skips (like an eraser) if you're not careful. I'm willing to develop a new skill, though. I can add "3M Eraser Operator" to my resume. I'll try it, and the chemical option if necessary.

jayoldschool
01-14-11, 05:08 PM
Yes, you can burn through the paint easily if you press hard, dig the edge in, or stay in one spot too long.

pompste
01-15-11, 09:32 PM
http://turbojimmy.4t.com/caddy_emblem_goo.jpg

I need to get rid of the gunk left behind from the missing Cadillac badge. I've tried Goo Gone and denatured alcohol. I have a "new" Cadillac emblem to put on, that I got from ebay, but it's slightly larger. I need to make the footprint of the old, smaller emblem to go away. Nothing short of a razor blade seems to work and I don't want to scratch it.

Ideas?

I had the same gunk left over when i replaced a Caddy emblem on my '95 Deville last summer.I just "very carefully" used a plastic scraper while keeping the leftover gunk moist by sponging it with water every now and then.It worked---no scratches at all---and the gunk was removed!

turbojimmy
03-27-11, 01:43 PM
The eraser worked great! You can still see the outline a bit because I couldn't get to the very bottom due to the Superior badge. But I'm putting another one over top of it anyway so it'll be fine.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/cadillac_script_after_eraser.jpg

brougham
03-27-11, 07:53 PM
The only problem with eraser wheels is they can pick dirt or chunks of the crap you are trying to remove and scratch the paint underneath it. Looks like it did a good job tho.

jayoldschool
03-27-11, 08:38 PM
The eraser can also go through the paint quickly if you catch an edge. Have to be careful!

Jimmy, I think some polish/cleaner wax will take off that remaining residue above the coach label.

turbojimmy
03-27-11, 09:44 PM
The eraser can also go through the paint quickly if you catch an edge. Have to be careful!

Jimmy, I think some polish/cleaner wax will take off that remaining residue above the coach label.

Thanks! I think it will too. That looks like a build up of wax and gunk rather than adhesive. I'm going to try some wax with a mild abrasive in it.

cosmo
03-27-11, 11:36 PM
I work at a dealership. We get requests to remove emblems all the time. Heat (hot water), a plastic razor blade, and Bug & Tar remover gets 99.9% of them off fine. Sometimes the hot water alone will remove them.

Cosmo

turbojimmy
03-28-11, 08:36 AM
I work at a dealership. We get requests to remove emblems all the time. Heat (hot water), a plastic razor blade, and Bug & Tar remover gets 99.9% of them off fine. Sometimes the hot water alone will remove them.

Cosmo

I tried the Bug & Tar remover but it didn't touch it. Heat and a plastic razor blade sounds like it would have worked. I'll have to give that a whirl next time I'm faced with something like that.

brougham
03-28-11, 08:32 PM
The more dried out the 2-way tape is the harder it is to get off. Razor would have gotten the thick stuff off but you'd still have to deal with the glue at the end. Looks like what you used worked anyway.

intragration
03-28-11, 10:41 PM
Looks like you got it off pretty good. Naphtha usually works pretty well, Zippo fluid. The ABSOLUTE BEST thing for taking off remaining scratches and haze and making it perfectly shiny is Kit Scratch Out with Kleenex. The abrasives in Scratch Out break down as you're using it, so it leaves no scratches whatsoever. I did my entire black '70 with Scratch Out and it looks like a new car.

Cadillacboy
03-30-11, 11:22 AM
I do have good sources , Innovative Detailing . They also upload Yotube Videos , full of useful tips . Check their site
:highfive: