: On the topic of GAS...

OffThaHorseCEO
01-12-11, 05:29 PM
So, we currently have 3 vehicles, an 04 SRX AWD V8, A 96 Saturn SW2, and an 89 Allante

I drive the Allante daily, its my car. My GF drives the saturn daily, because she drives 60 miles a day to and from school. We both LOVE the SRX but the allante is my car, i drive it because i enjoy it more than the SRX, even though the srx is more comfortable and has heat lol. On weekends or when we go out, we take the SRX but it doesnt see much more action that that.

My GF wants to get RID of it! WHAT?! she wants to sell it and put the money into savings as an emergency fund.

I say thats a good idea, but driving the saturn the way she does is putting a good wear and tear on it. Eventually it will cost more to maintain that its worth. How long i cant say for sure.

The Allante seems pretty solid, but I'm not sure id have it as my only car. The engine is great, very powerful, no signs of wear really, trans is the same. But those arent issues that ground Allantes, its the electrical bugs that sometimes crop up.

My logic is that, if we sell the SRX for emergency money, that money could well end up being spent on buying a car if one of ours screws up beyond repair. If that happens we'll need to act quickly and may get desperate and buy on a whim. We got a killer deal on the SRX, we may not be so lucky again.

All three cars are paid for. one factor i didnt consider when my gf and i were discussing it is, the SRX carries comp and collision coverage, which is the majority of our insurance bill. hmmmm

we're not hurting for money, but if something major came up we might be.

What do you guys think? I think its a good idea but i like the peace of mind of having a third vehicle to fall back on if one of ours messes up

The Saturn DEFINITELY needs replacing soon and i think she'll want to replace it when shes done with school, regardless of if we keep the srx or not.

come to think of it, its not on eht topic of gas lol

gas is the least important factor in all this, except for her

hueterm
01-12-11, 05:33 PM
just start saving up the emerg fund. Considering the two cars you have I wouldnt get rid of the SRX.

Submariner409
01-12-11, 06:30 PM
Money ??? Gas ?? High mileage ?? Reliability........Dump the SRX and the Allante, stick some money in the bank and find a decent 3 - 4 year old Explorer to use as a beater. Absolute beater for everyday town/commute driving ??? - try a Camry or Corolla. (Isn't Saturn gone forever ??) SRX and Allante starts with C.A.D. ......so your repair and maintenance is gonna be out the window when (not IF) it is needed.

hueterm
01-12-11, 07:21 PM
I can imagine that an SRX N* AWD would be a fortune to fix if not in warranty.

OffThaHorseCEO
01-12-11, 07:39 PM
because corolla camry and explorers can be fixed for pennies? the allante isnt going anywhere, period. well, at least not for a long time.

im not looking for another car. im not looking to replace the srx. simply weighing the pros and cons of selling it.

btw, i dont want to seem like im kidding myself about the cost of repairs, i know first hand it is expensive to repair any modern vehicle. the new $3200 transmission in the SRX is proof of that. BUT, in 2003, our 96 mitsubishi mirage needed a new transmission as well, the quote for a REMANUFACTURED trans, was 2900...so its not just cadillacs that are expensive to repair...

Mark0101
01-12-11, 08:16 PM
I don't know how much you bought it for or how much you can get for it as of right now. I would Keep the SRX unless you have a car in mind that you would want to get to replace the Saturn. Spend up to $7,000 on the new car and save the rest for savings.

drewsdeville
01-12-11, 09:59 PM
I agree with your girlfriend.

You aren't even using that SRX, and it's sitting in your driveway depreciating faster than anything else you own right now. That's just wrong. It would be different if you were racking up the miles on it, getting your use out of it, but you aren't now and it sounds like you don't plan to anytime soon. Get rid of that thing and stick that money in an investment of some sort instead.

As far as your current vehicles, I'd worry about them if/when the time comes. They've been good so far, do you have any reason to believe you'll experience some catastrophic failure anytime soon? Even if the unlikely did happen, it'd probably be very cheap and easy to replace either in an emergency situation.

It's almost always cheaper to maintain an old car that to take the continuous depreciation hit on a newer car (which also needs maintenance). This is probably especially true with the expensive insurance on the SRX that isn't needed on the older vehicles.

Aron9000
01-12-11, 10:12 PM
If it were me, I'd dump the SRX, take about $4,000 and buy some sort of beater, and put the rest of it in the emergency fund. I really wouldn't want a 96 Saturn with a bunch of miles and an 89 Allante to be my only two cars.

Jesda
01-12-11, 10:48 PM
Keep the SRX. Having an Allante as your primary transportation is doable, but can get quite expensive, as I experienced with my '92 STS. It got to a point where it was a grand here, a grand there. It never died but it simply wore out.

hueterm
01-12-11, 11:37 PM
Why don't you just drive the SRX as your DD and keep the Allante as a toy?

Playdrv4me
01-13-11, 12:36 AM
Why don't you just drive the SRX as your DD and keep the Allante as a toy?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Seems silly to drive an Allante every single day.

ben.gators
01-13-11, 02:08 AM
SRX 2004, well I guess this 2004 model has experienced its big depression of value, and after this moment the car will lose its value very slowly and slightly... Also it implies if you keep the car now and sell the car after one or two years, you can get almost the same amount of money you can get now.... Therefore selling such a car at this point will be your loss! And I would say keep the car and if something happens in the future and you need money, you always can sell the car very fast just by pricing it 400$-500$ below market value...

Stingroo
01-13-11, 08:57 AM
You mean seems AWESOME.

Bah. Have fun with it. If you don't use the SRX, she's right - sell it and get something cheaper for a third car.

jayoldschool
01-15-11, 02:49 PM
Can't believe no one has mentioned the obvious option...

Dump the girl, and do whatever you want.

:D

OffThaHorseCEO
01-15-11, 03:16 PM
lmbo, nah thats not an option

I've come to my senses, i will drive the SRX more now.

this will give me a chance to park and "freshen up" the Allanté and get her ready for her best seasons, spring and summer. conveniently, my gf will be out of school during late spring/summer, so she will drive the SRX to/from work instead of the Saturn. work is much closer.

in the meantime, Ive been building up an emergency fund anyway, but i cant say Ive really been trying, so I'm going to devote more money to it to ease her worries.

the guy who said the biggest depreciation hit has already happened hit the nail on the head. My gf only has one more year of school, and then if the Saturn isn't cutting it anymore, we'll be buying "her" car, and most likely trading in the SRX toward it.

thanks for all the advice from everyone

ben.gators
01-15-11, 04:10 PM
the guy who said the biggest depreciation hit has already happened hit the nail on the head.e
The guy's name is Ben! :sneaky: ... :D

ben.gators
01-15-11, 04:12 PM
Can't believe no one has mentioned the obvious option...

Dump the girl, and do whatever you want.

:D

You are so funny, one of the best posts I ever have read.... :D

OffThaHorseCEO
01-15-11, 04:25 PM
The guy's name is Ben! :sneaky: ... :D

sorry, didnt mean to make you generic or not give proper credit, just didnt feel like scrolling up to see who said it

ben.gators
01-15-11, 06:27 PM
It was just a joke... :D