: iPhone officially revealed for Verizon!

Stingroo
01-11-11, 11:53 AM
YES!

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/11/verizon-finally-unveils-iphone/

Best part? It'll be a CDMA phone. I can flash to MetroPCS. Woohoo! Verizon and AT&T can both go jump off a cliff for all I care. They're overpriced.

hueterm
01-11-11, 12:00 PM
How much is the non-contract price for the phone? $1000?

Stingroo
01-11-11, 12:03 PM
Well if the 8gb is $199 contract, I'd guess maybe $299 non or so. But I don't care about that - I'd never pay that much for a phone. I'd get a used one from the most dangerous place on the Intarwebz - craigslist.

OffThaHorseCEO
01-11-11, 04:31 PM
299? yea right!

non contract iphones are 550 for the 16gig and 750 for the 32 gig. thats when supply is adequate. for up to 6 months after launch, they will be on craigslist/ebay for upwards of 900 for the 16gig and 1200 for the 32 gig. yes sheeple pay that.

itll be at least a year and a half before you can expect to pay less than 250 for a good condition used iphone.

dont be one of those guys who goes prepaid because "contracts are too expensive" then buys a phone full retail...

also, the iphone still sucks, being on verizon makes it suck even more, no simultaneous voice and data...really...?

hueterm
01-11-11, 04:33 PM
This ^

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 04:35 PM
Well if the 8gb is $199 contract, I'd guess maybe $299 non or so. But I don't care about that - I'd never pay that much for a phone. I'd get a used one from the most dangerous place on the Intarwebz - craigslist.

"That much???" 199 is dirt cheap dude. I'm not sure what you are expecting to find on CL but I can tell you the ATT iPhone 4s still go for 450 EASY. Your cheapest option will probably be to buy it on Verizon (I agree, their totalitarian pricing sucks) for the 199, then cancel the contract and pay the cancellation fee. I assure you, unless you wait 6 months until the iPhone 5 comes out (if it even shows up on CDMA) you won't get it for less than that on CL or Ebay.

The exciting part to me is the possibility to take it over to Sprint, if and when I ever decide to return to them from ATT. For now I'm satisfied with my ATT plan.

Stingroo
01-11-11, 04:35 PM
Contracts ARE a ripoff. I only wish I had that kind of money to throw away on a shitty little communications device lol. Must be nice.

OffThaHorseCEO
01-11-11, 04:39 PM
so i take it your metro pcs is free?

the economics behind cheaper plans but more expensive phones is the same as gas sipping pieces of shit that cost more

Stingroo
01-11-11, 04:41 PM
No, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a comprable plan from AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. I'm 110% sure that there's no way I could get unlimited incoming/outgoing calls, text, web, GPS, MMS, and IM for $45 a month.

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 04:43 PM
Contracts ARE a ripoff. I only wish I had that kind of money to throw away on a shitty little communications device lol. Must be nice.

Are they? I only pay 10.00 more a month with ATT than MetroPCS will charge for the same access according to this... http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/01/mobile-carriers-data-plans-violates-net-neutrality-group-claims/

Your "web" is about to be neutered dood...

OffThaHorseCEO
01-11-11, 04:45 PM
...I assure you, unless you wait 6 months until the iPhone 5 comes out (if it even shows up on CDMA) you won't get it for less than that on CL or Ebay.

The exciting part to me is the possibility to take it over to Sprint, if and when I ever decide to return to them from ATT. For now I'm satisfied with my ATT plan.

1) when interviewed about the phone, the verizon and apple reps stated theres no plans to release an lte iphone in the immediate (6 mo's) future. judging by the past years events and todays announcements, i believe apples annual announcement will be for a white iphone 4 for both at&t and verizon with no changes except maybe software.

2) when asked, the verizon reps did say that they have a multi-year NON exclusive contract. the way i see it, at&t will get the new stuff first, a couple of months later vzw will have it, then sprint and the others

Stingroo
01-11-11, 05:06 PM
That article isn't saying what you're saying. Those are plans Metro wants to unveil *in the future*. But regardless that doesn't affect me as I don't use the mobile web anyway. I don't own a smartphone so it's useless. I have a laptop for that. :lol:

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 05:10 PM
That article isn't saying what you're saying. Those are plans Metro wants to unveil *in the future*. But regardless that doesn't affect me as I don't use the mobile web anyway. I don't own a smartphone so it's useless. I have a laptop for that. :lol:

This thread has just veered off into some strange wilderness off an abandoned state road. If you don't USE mobile web than what on earth could you POSSIBLY want with the iPhone in the first place (going back to your comment about getting one cheap)? Just to say you have an iPhone? Unfortunately, the phone part of the iPhone is probably its worst trait.

I could not possibly live without mobile web. Over and above that I also jailbroke my iPhone to tether my laptop wherever I go. That feature alone is worth my entire monthly cost.

OffThaHorseCEO
01-11-11, 05:12 PM
This thread has just driven off into some strange wilderness off an abandoned state road. If you don't USE mobile web than what on earth could you POSSIBLY want with a smartphone? Just to say you have an iPhone?

I could not possibly live without mobile web. Over and above that I also jailbroke my iPhone to tether my laptop wherever I go. That feature alone is worth my entire monthly cost.

he wants the one with the bigger g b's. and it must have the wifi's

Stingroo
01-11-11, 05:19 PM
I don't use it *BECAUSE* I don't own a smartphone. If I did, chances are I would and then I would care. But as for the article linked, I'd be okay with the proposed $40 plan (however the whole point is moot since the article is speculation anyway). Whatever. For those with verizon who want an iPhone, there you go. It's official.

[/thread]

drewsdeville
01-11-11, 05:20 PM
This thread has just driven off into some strange wilderness off an abandoned state road. If you don't USE mobile web than what on earth could you POSSIBLY want with a smartphone? Just to say you have an iPhone?

^^^Yes.

Some people need it or want it, some people don't. A smartphone without the web is like a high performance race car without a race track. Sure it's nifty to look at, but it's functionality isn't being taken advantage of.

Personally, I can also go without one. Since I generally need my laptop when I go out on service calls, and I need it to keep my AutoCAD drawings and plans mobile, I pretty much run all over with it. Combine that with the fact that I can almost go ANYWHERE in my area and get FREE wifi, it's a no brainer. I'm not sure I'd even be able to take advantage of a net-enabled smartphone even if I was given one.

hueterm
01-11-11, 05:32 PM
This lost me a few posts back. I hate ATT (which is what my work Blackberry is on). I'm indifferent toward Verizon, but I prefer doing business w/the underdogs (Sprint, T-Mobile). Their "everything" plans are quite a bit less than VZW...not sure about ATT, as I'd never use them personally.

I actually hope they do merge...since combined they'll still be the underdog, albeit hopefully a stronger one...

gdwriter
01-11-11, 05:48 PM
I had Verizon for years but finally got tired of waiting and switched to AT&T for the iPhone. I'm not much of a phone person, so I use most of its other features a lot more than the phone, especially Web, texting and e-mail. I've also found a number of useful apps. It's not perfect, nor do I buy into all of the Apple hype, but I like it a lot.

I won't be eligible for an upgrade to the iPhone 4 until May, and my two-year contract with AT&T ends in September, so I'll wait and see on switching. I get a state employee discount with AT&T (and I think I did with Verizon), so I think I'd pay roughly the same with either carrier. What would make me switch is a larger 3 or 4G service area. I get 3G in Corvallis, but not at home (although I generally run my phone on WiFi at home).

ga_etc
01-11-11, 06:42 PM
I had ATT and currently have VZW. ATT has the faster network and the use of voice and data at the same time. VZW has the coverage advantage. I have no real issues with either carrier. The only reason I switched was because 80% of the people that I talked to a regular basis had Verizon.

I see no point in buying an iPhone from VZW when you have half a dozen Android devices to choose from. The only advantage that the iPhone has is a larger app store.

ejguillot
01-11-11, 07:16 PM
That "no LTE iPhone for at least 6 months" comment sounds carefully parsed to me. What I expect to see: Announcement at the 6 month mark and availability at the 7 month mark. AT&T announced that their initial rollout of their LTE network is going active in June, and Verizon has already started their LTE rollout.

You WILL NOT SAVE ANY MONEY by getting a contract price iPhone then canceling the contract... the $350 cancellation fee will see to that. And who knows how long it will take to properly jailbreak the CDMA iPhone (which is required for the carrier unlock/reflash).

gary88
01-11-11, 07:30 PM
I'm still in contract for another year and a half with AT&T. I'm in no huge rush to switch either, AT&T has been pretty decent for me.

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 08:08 PM
That "no LTE iPhone for at least 6 months" comment sounds carefully parsed to me. What I expect to see: Announcement at the 6 month mark and availability at the 7 month mark. AT&T announced that their initial rollout of their LTE network is going active in June, and Verizon has already started their LTE rollout.

You WILL NOT SAVE ANY MONEY by getting a contract price iPhone then canceling the contract... the $350 cancellation fee will see to that. And who knows how long it will take to properly jailbreak the CDMA iPhone (which is required for the carrier unlock/reflash).

Sure you will... You are talking 600 (if you include a prorate for a day or two of service) versus the 8-900.00 Initial VZW iPhones will be going for all over the place... Never fails. As for the jailbreak/unlock, that's dependent on the iOS version present at the time of release and it's always been hacked in a matter of weeks.

As for ATT vs. VZW, the mass exodus of fellow ATTers will only serve to improve my bandwidth and rate plans.

Jesda
01-11-11, 09:15 PM
Contracts are financing plans that would break usury laws if they were openly called financing.

ThumperPup
01-11-11, 09:22 PM
great maybe fianly some ppl that only came to att for the iphone will leave and then my freaking service will get better lol
the reason att service sucks and calls drop is because eveyrone wanted the iphone and they got it but att still only had the same amoutn of towers and service so evyerone elses calls droped
i have an iphone 3g yes but i only use it for music and emergency calls
my daily phone is my att tilt wich i love

RippyPartsDept
01-11-11, 09:26 PM
everyone stop freaking out... in June Steve Jobs will unveil the new iPhone and it's very possible that it will only be on at&t since verizon just got the iPhone4

now either verizon will just stay off the cycle and come out with the new iPhone5 (or iPhone4gs or whatever) later in the year....

... but it's more likely that they'll just skip that version of the iPhone and then get on the cycle the next year (2012) in June when the next iPhone is released...

so the smart money is on waiting until june to switch to verizon if that's what you're planning on doing ... just in case verizon does get the new iPhone that's coming out in June

---

as for at&t service - i have no problems with it... i was a cingular customer since 2002 and have only had problems when i drive out into the areas that at&t clearly doesn't cover (as viewed by their coverage maps)... i can't say that i've never had a dropped call, but i can't remember any if i have had any at all in the last 9 years... plus i get coverage basically everywhere in the country (except for the most rural areas as you can see on their coverage maps)...

Jesda
01-11-11, 09:32 PM
I had great service with AT&T a decade ago when it was still AT&T. When it was acquired by SBC they began taking down what they considered excessive numbers of cellular towers, and it got terrible in several metro areas.

ryannel2003
01-11-11, 09:56 PM
Earlier this year I had an iPhone 3GS with AT&T and I was disappointed in the service and call quality. More than a few times people said they called me and it went straight to voicemail and sometimes it would randomly switch between Edge and 3G even though I was clearly in a 3G area. I got fed up with it and went back to Verizon and purchased a Droid Incredible. The incredible part is I don't think I want to part with it, even though I loved the iPhone itself and I can actually upgrade to one soon. Android has pretty much caught up with Apple on everything minus a few minor points.

RippyPartsDept
01-11-11, 10:03 PM
yeah, even though i've not had any problems w/ at&t android is making me think really hard... i'm still waiting until June though

ThumperPup
01-11-11, 10:13 PM
as for at&t service - i have no problems with it... i was a cingular customer since 2002 and have only had problems when i drive out into the areas that at&t clearly doesn't cover (as viewed by their coverage maps)... i can't say that i've never had a dropped call, but i can't remember any if i have had any at all in the last 9 years... plus i get coverage basically everywhere in the country (except for the most rural areas as you can see on their coverage maps)...

ATT has always treated me well Custoemr service and all
first Cell phone i ever had was with Air Touch Cellular that was back in 95 in my first car old school car phone when i was 15-16 years old

my first mobile phone that i could take iwth me anywhere was ATT and i have been with att since wow i cant remmebr how long
but i have also had the same number for just as long
love them ]
but the service just got bad after they realeased the iphone 3g everone was getting it and service calls would drop

Jesda
01-11-11, 10:14 PM
I like Android but I still prefer iOS.

ga_etc
01-11-11, 10:20 PM
Android vs iPhone is best summed up in two words: Removable Battery.

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 10:33 PM
yeah, even though i've not had any problems w/ at&t android is making me think really hard... i'm still waiting until June though

If I was even remotely interested in an Android device for my primary phone (I do have a Galaxy Tab), I'd *STILL* stay with ATT because ATT, for better or worse, almost ALWAYS ends up with the best phones the other carriers envy. If you like Android, the Motorola ATRIX is going to absolutely blow away everything else, especially with the web-top docking capability.

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 10:34 PM
Android vs iPhone is best summed up in two words: Battery Life.

Fixed it for you...

This is fun.

Jesda
01-11-11, 10:47 PM
I only remove the battery from my Blackberry to reboot it (which hopefully, after last night's OS update, I'll be doing less often). There's more juice in that thing than an orange grove in Tampa. I've tested the limits -- once it starts beeping "battery low" I STILL have an hour of additional talk time! And boy, women sure can talk.

hueterm
01-12-11, 12:03 AM
Fixed it for you...

This is fun.

I've heard that iPhone's batt is merely OK. However my Android's is TERRIBLE.

ga_etc
01-12-11, 12:09 AM
I have the original Droid and my battery life sucked at first, but it's getting better now that it has broken in a little.

Playdrv4me
01-12-11, 12:19 AM

I don't remember owning a phone with better battery life since probably my feature phone days. My Treo 7xx on Palm OS might have been equal.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-11, 12:32 AM

When my iPhone 3G was new, the battery life was decent. About the same as my Droid X when it was new. But after 18 months, the iPhone's battery wouldn't last 3 hours, and that's after sitting overnight on the charger. That's about as pathetic as it gets. When you combine that with the fact you can't remove the battery to replace it, you have the main reason why I switched from the iPhone to the Droid.

RippyPartsDept
01-12-11, 01:22 AM
When my iPhone 3G was new, the battery life was decent. About the same as my Droid X when it was new. But after 18 months, the iPhone's battery wouldn't last 3 hours, and that's after sitting overnight on the charger. That's about as pathetic as it gets. When you combine that with the fact you can't remove the battery to replace it, you have the main reason why I switched from the iPhone to the Droid.

that's why i bought my mophie juicepack air (and then the engergizer battery extender after i broke the mophie usb connector)... iphone battery is almost always at 100% and when i do need to dip into the phone's battery it lasts almost a day of moderate use, half a day of heavy use

Aron9000
01-12-11, 01:38 AM
I've got to say that the AT&T sucks ass compared to Verizon. I never had one dropped call in the two years I was with verizon, coverage everywhere I went. The whole reason I switched to verizion is that AT&T would not work in my old apartment, which was in a major Nashville suburb about 15 miles from downtown. I switched back to AT&T to get on my mom's family plan, which is $35 a month for an Iphone 4. I was paying $60 a month on verizon for a basic phone with texting. A smartphone would be pushing my bill over $100 a month.

ben.gators
01-12-11, 03:46 AM
If you want to have a contract with AT&T, iPhone is dirt cheap now.... For example, I checked my upgrade options, and iPhone 3GS - 8GB Black (Refurb) is just 19$ (2 year contract) and brand new iPhone 3GS - 8GB Black is just 49$! OK, if you need more memory iPhone 3GS - 32GB Black (Refurb) is just 49$! And if you are looking for iPhone 4, well, good news, iPhone 4 - 16GB Black (Refurb) is just 99$! And brand new iPhone 4 - 16GB Black is just 199$. All of these phones require 2 year contract. I am not sure these great deals are available for new customers or not, but I guess they are....

About the costs of voice and data plan, 450 minute anytime minutes, with 5000 minutes night and weekend minutes and free AT&T phone to phone call, with 200 massage and 2GB data plan is just 63$, if you are affiliated with a university.... and I barely use 10% of my anytime minutes, since most of my friends are AT&T users, and 200 massage is more than enough, unless you are starting some new relationship with a girl, and 2GB data plan is more than enough, if you do not decide to watch movies online!

These upgrade options are wonderful for me and I am seriously considering upgrading to iPhone and data plan. Right now I have a touchscreen LG phone, LG CU920,
http://www.pricego.org/v/vspfiles/photos/CU920R-2T.jpg
which came free with my one year contract, and my current voice and massage plan is about 40$ and something.... So iPhone and voice/data plan totally makes sense....
I need iPhone, not as a symbol or icon, but as a tool to to find my way around the city and also to locate stores or restaurants easily...

This is a good news that iPhone is revealed to Verizon too, the competition between Verizon and AT&T can have good outcomes for current and future iPhone users.... I am waiting to see the pricing strategy of version for iPhones and data plans, however i really do not think they are going to beat AT&T deals.... Also I know couple of potential iPhone customers that like to own an iPhone, but they dislike AT&T and its network coverage and reliability and that is why they have not purchased iPhone yet. So after Verizon steps into the iPhone market, we will see a sudden increase in number of iPhone users.

ejguillot
01-12-11, 09:15 AM
I expect that the AT&T network experience will improve (and Verizon's will get worse) as a large number of iPhone customers cut over to Verizon.

Personally, I have a 16GB 3GS with iOS 3.1.3... and jailbroken! The battery issue is a problem, but go to ifixit.com and you can get a battery replacement kit for about $25 (and they have excellent step by step instructions on how to replace). Got that kit and installed a new battery in 15 minutes.

For me,
Unlimited data plan
+ tethering (thanks to the jailbreak, don't pay AT&T for that)
+14% discount through employer
+ a lot of jailbreak upgrades (can't think of anything iOS 4 has that I want, and don't already have through jailbreaking)
= WIN for me.

And here in Tampa FL, AT&T isn't too bad (speeds and coverage comparable to Verizon).

Playdrv4me
01-12-11, 03:00 PM
Ben, I envy you if you can get away with just 200 text messages... and in fact, the fact that ATT CHARGES for something that is FREE to send over their network is one of the few things that does bug the shit out of me. In any case, I do NOT have a GF, and have the 1500 text option and I've still used as much as 900 or 1000 in a month. I'm getting close to having to switch to the Unlimited option.

RippyPartsDept
01-12-11, 03:45 PM
i got away with just 200 text msgs ever since i had text messaging on my phones... every once in a while i would go over... but just before xmas this year i was in the airport and decided to check my usage with the at&t app on my iphone and noticed that while i was only 8 days into my billing cycle i had already used 194 texts!! so i quickly slid over to the 'features' screen and upgraded to the 1500 texts ... didn't even have to talk to an agent or wait on hold or go into a store... lovely

OffThaHorseCEO
01-12-11, 05:05 PM
i got away with just 200 text msgs ever since i had text messaging on my phones... every once in a while i would go over... but just before xmas this year i was in the airport and decided to check my usage with the at&t app on my iphone and noticed that while i was only 8 days into my billing cycle i had already used 194 texts!! so i quickly slid over to the 'features' screen and upgraded to the 1500 texts ... didn't even have to talk to an agent or wait on hold or go into a store... lovely

i agree that this is coo., its quick, easy and convenient, but at a cost.
You may have been lucky, but most people would have gotten billed prorated charges on that feature change like this (part of my sisters actual bill)

MESSAGING 1500 11/15-12/14 15.00
Includes:
- Pict Video MSG
- Text Messaging
Adjustment for MESSAGING 200 11/16-12/14 -4.83 -4.83

DATAPLUS 200MB BB 12/15-01/14 15.00
MESSAGING 1500 12/15-01/14 15.00

INSTEAD, what i tell my customers to do is call me if they ever think they are gonna go over or have gone over. When they do call me i tell them not to worry about it and just keep using the phone, the bill will come with overages but i will fix it.

so when they have a 200 msg plan and used 500 msgs the bill charges them $ for the 200 msg plan and 60 for the overages. I simply call in and say they went over, they had a busy month, theyre willing to go to the next higher plan, can we do that for them and rerate as a courtesy. Sure enough, the CS rep will move the plan up to the 1500 plan, and credit the 60 minus the difference in the plan you have and the plan you want.
so in other words
200 txt = $5
300 txt overage = $60

i call in

1500 txt plan = $15
minus 200 txt plan @ $5 = $10
1500 plan covers all messages so credit minus higher plan = $50

basically it ends up cheaper my way and only takes more time on my end, not yours.

Stingroo
01-12-11, 05:08 PM
200 texts a month? I'd barely last a week.

slk230mb
01-12-11, 08:08 PM

When I was in college (2003-2007, feels like an eternity ago), I would average between 2500 and 3000 texts a month. Since I'm out and working, I send maybe 75 a month.

Stingroo
01-12-11, 08:14 PM
I probably do about 1/3 that. A busy month would net me 1500 or so. But still, way more than 200 lol

ben.gators
01-13-11, 02:56 AM
Ben, I envy you if you can get away with just 200 text messages... and in fact, the fact that ATT CHARGES for something that is FREE to send over their network is one of the few things that does bug the shit out of me. In any case, I do NOT have a GF, and have the 1500 text option and I've still used as much as 900 or 1000 in a month. I'm getting close to having to switch to the Unlimited option.

Well, 200massages /30days= 6-7 massages each day and it is all enough for me to have basic communication with friends! My text massages are like this: "will be 5 mins late" or "I arrived, lets go" and if I feel a subject needs more than two massages or needs more interactive communication I will just call. So what are you doing that your massage usage is so high? If you had a GF, specially if the relationship was in early stages, these numbers and even more totally make sense! Once I met a girl who was 8 years younger than me and she totally belongs to one generation after me, and you know how those kids are.... Long story short, we used to send more than 100 massages each day! But now my usage is less than 200 and even some times it goes below 100!

ben.gators
01-13-11, 03:00 AM

You belong to the same generation, Stingroo! :D

Stingroo
01-13-11, 10:33 AM
Yeah I do. lol I text between/during/after classes, in the middle of the day... whatever.

And I'm in a pretty comfortable relationship so we text a lot too. I've had my phone just over a month and it has 700 texts that are in my inbox (I wonder when it starts auto-deleting them lol)