: Northstar Engine Swap

Keith Carlson
01-11-11, 12:01 PM
What year Northstar engines can I use to replace my 1998 Vin 9? Did they change over the years?

Submariner409
01-11-11, 04:31 PM
What year Northstar engines can I use to replace my 1998 Vin 9? Did they change over the years?

Several threads above this one there's a lengthy sticky concerning Northstar engine interchanges.

Keith Carlson
01-12-11, 11:19 AM
From what I can tell from that thread 98 is a stand alone engine?

Submariner409
01-12-11, 12:00 PM
From what I can tell from that thread 98 is a stand alone engine?

Unfortunately all the Northstar FWD years were evolutionary. '98 was the beginning of the redesign and 2000 change to what is, essentially, a different engine. '98 and '99 can be quite different when it comes to sensors, wiring, and accessories.

If you're in the engine replacement mode, your easiest, best bet is to either find another exact engine and overhaul it or pull your engine and do an overhaul. That way there will be no question about parts, electronics, connectors, or basic nuts and bolts. There are still plenty of '98 parts around - RippyPartsDept can set you up, and installing Jake's studs will make the head bolt hole failure problem moot.

97EldoCoupe
01-12-11, 07:32 PM
You have to have a 98 or 99 engine. Those are the only two years that will bolt in your STS without any extensive modifications.

ponyboyt
01-13-11, 08:25 AM
Jake i dont remember seeing much about manifold to down pipe bolts in your thread. I had a bad experience putting in an engine from a 95 to a 97 because the Y pipe (down pipe?) wouldnt bolt up. Manifolds are a pain to change (and that crossover) so i used the 95 down pipe and had it welded up to my exhaust. (The 95 down pipe was at least 1/4 inch larger diameter too). I have that VIN9 from a 98 concourse. Do you know of any other differences pre-2000 on these cars for the Y pipe?