: What would you do? I think this is a big issue.....

Jeremyt
01-11-11, 03:47 AM
Ok so like i said in my introductory post i bought my car in Nov. of last year. Ive been working so much i havnt had time to tear into it and look at anything i.e, air filter, pull the engine cover off to look at everything and just look at it..you know, kinda the way you do your newborn child..lol..

Anyways tonight i was doing so and thought about customizing my own cai and so i commenced to removing the air box and engine cover to get a look at everything. When i first removed my engine cover i noticed some tree seadlings around my pass. side fuel rail, I didnt think anything of it so i just fluffed it off. I start removeing the intake tube from the tb to the air box ....np everything went smooth, then i remove the airbox completely and randomly flip it over and look in the fender cold air inlet for the airbox and what to my suprise but a huge mouse nest inside the airbox......

I bought this car from a pretty reputable dealer here in indy, and im concerned that if this is in there what other problems might i have with the car....Should i take the air box and the pics i took to the dealer and see what theyll do about it or do i just clean off everything and go along my marry way and hope nothing happens with the car? Also if this were the case with my car what kinda crap have they been selling to everyone else on their used car lot?

your thoughts?

AAIIIC
01-11-11, 07:34 AM
So you're positive it's all the dealer's fault? There's no possible way a mouse could have made a home in there in the past two or three months since you bought it? Seems like a pretty weak argument.

rand49er
01-11-11, 08:08 AM
It's not a big deal ... really.

My next door neighbor had a starling nest in her engine bay, and she drives her car all the time.

Here's what I found under my intake manifold when I went to put my maggie on.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/rand49er/cornunderintman.jpg

WesH8398
01-11-11, 09:09 AM
Some debris under your engine cover and a rat nest in your engine bay are barely indicators of the state of repair that your new ride is in. You've got yourself a nice ride there, don't ruin the fun by being paranoid. :)

V-Guy
01-11-11, 10:17 AM
I agree with WestH and others above. In my experience, unless a dealer is going to "certify" a used car, they don't look at it very closely before putting it out on their lot for sale. My salesman at Hare Chevrolet in Noblesville (another reputable dealer in the Indy area) told me that as far as he knew, "the car was all stock," when there was a Volent cold air intake staring me in the face when I asked him the question - and it turned out I had several other mods that were much less apparent - cam, etc. Particularly if the dealer bought the car at auction (like Hare did mine), they may not know much about it, much less give it a going-over that would involve removing the engine cover or accessing the air filter. The birds nest wouldn't bother me all that much - but I'd be real curious about the condition of the motor mounts, the differential, and a few other issues that we know recur in our cars.

Congrats and good luck!!

Guy

KaMaSuTrA
01-11-11, 11:33 AM
What is it with CTS-V's being nests for animals?!

daVe06
01-11-11, 05:54 PM
You mean under the hood... or behind the wheel?

JFensty
01-11-11, 09:42 PM
Mine had a nest under the engine cover as well and then I found the mouse, upon further inspection, somewhat mummified on the radiator support. I am sure it happened before I purchased it but all that means is the car probabaly sat in storage for sometime as many of our cars do.

rand49er
01-11-11, 10:12 PM
Mine had a nest under the engine cover as well and then I found the mouse, upon further inspection, somewhat mummified on the radiator support. I am sure it happened before I purchased it but all that means is the car probabaly sat in storage for sometime as many of our cars do.Mine's been sitting in the garage with a cover on it for about six weeks now. I have a mouse trap sitting on the floor under it and check it periodically.

wcryan
01-12-11, 05:31 AM
There's really no way around it, it seems like. Lay some traps and cross your fingers

uwood
01-12-11, 02:43 PM
For the love of god, cover up those intake ports before shit drops down in there.

Castro
01-12-11, 02:46 PM
Is that caramel corn?

rand49er
01-12-11, 05:57 PM
For the love of god, cover up those intake ports before shit drops down in there.Oh, it's covered all right ...

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/rand49er/PICT0324.jpg

Is that caramel corn?Nope. That's corn we had sitting in the garage to feed ducks with. Darn mice found the corn and a cozy place to hide it.

EdmundGTP
01-12-11, 08:36 PM
Oh s%$t!!!!!!! Not a mouse nest!!!!!!!!!!