: The Toronado that could have been.

Jesda
01-10-11, 11:41 PM
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l504/Keith2890/CD992.jpg
Instead they called it Aurora. Interesting to read that Buick was almost burdened with the Northstar/Shortstar. Sticking to older technology managed to keep Buick's quality scores up and keep the division going.

hueterm
01-11-11, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry, but a Northstar Riviera would have been the pinnacle....screw the HGs...

ga_etc
01-11-11, 12:02 AM
That drawing looks too much like a Lumina.

hueterm
01-11-11, 12:05 AM
Or, the Intrigue...

The first gen Aurora was too gorgeous for that pic...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-11, 12:20 AM
Wow, interesting! It just goes to show that GM really had no idea what to do with Olds/Buick in the early '90s. If a few things would have happened differently, then maybe Buick would have been axed and Olds would still be alive.

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 02:20 AM
I'm sorry, but a Northstar Riviera would have been the pinnacle....screw the HGs...

I think I would have preferred proper wood trim to more Northstar STDs. The 3800 Gen II S/C is a fantastic motor.

hueterm
01-11-11, 02:33 AM
You say that now...

Don.t grow up and be bitter like Destroyer... :-)

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 02:54 AM
You say that now...

Don.t grow up and be bitter like Destroyer... :-)

Ahh, the difference between me and Destroyer is the N* won't keep me AWAY from cars that already have it, not that it isn't a vastly enjoyable mechanical marvel. But for the G bodies it didn't end up in to begin with, I certainly won't complain!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-11, 08:53 AM
I thought the Riviera's supercharged 3800 was more cramped in the engine bay than the W-Bodies, making the water pump much harder and costlier to replace. I remember asking a tech about that before I bought the Regal, and it was quite a PITA to get access to the water pump on the Riviera, because you had to remove a motor mount or something to get at it. Anyways, the point of what I'm saying is that I think it would really be a PITA to do any work on a Northstar Riviera because of the lack of room. Look at how wide the fenders are and how the hood narrows down as it gets closer to the grille. It isn't as broad or as flat as the hood of the Eldorado or Seville.

BTW, I'm glad that Oldsmobile named it the Aurora. Anthem would have sounded tacky and the name Toronado belongs on a coupe.

DouglasJRizzo
01-11-11, 09:21 AM
The Aurora couldn't save Olds from GM. Too bad, I thought the divison, like Pontiac, was too valuable to lose, but too much brand equity had been squandered.

Jesda
01-11-11, 09:48 AM
The name "Anthem" somewhat explains the stupid ad with the couch in space and the Aaron Copland music.