: timming tensioner

chevy-man77
01-10-11, 08:32 PM
just wandering im getting ready to install a used motor in my catera things only or sopose to have 30,000 on it but i have heard the timming belt tensioners are only good for around 40,000 and i heard about the oil coolers should i be worried about it also? just wandering i love my gm parts but funds are low right now im thinking about buying a set of gates pullies off ebay around 175.00 has anyone used thease or have any info for one to use

AHazzardToAll
01-11-11, 04:31 AM
just wandering im getting ready to install a used motor in my catera things only or sopose to have 30,000 on it but i have heard the timming belt tensioners are only good for around 40,000 and i heard about the oil coolers should i be worried about it also? just wandering i love my gm parts but funds are low right now im thinking about buying a set of gates pullies off ebay around 175.00 has anyone used thease or have any info for one to use

Might want to look into an external aftermarket oil cooler. Should be an easy conversion with the motor out, might save a few pennys as well.

hgqguy
01-11-11, 06:40 AM
I just had my timingbelt and tentioners done in my 2000 catera. It was a gates kit TCK285A is the number that was on the box. My kit was $309 from the shop, I let them order what they wanted use. the pullies came attached to the back piece.. so made chaging it very simple. Plus the belt had marking so that th timing was spot on.

I would consder that you are getting a motor that is now at least 10 yrs old.. and time breaks down the belts.. I think it is worth your while to swap it all out. My belt was cracked very badly, I had 128K.
While you are at it y may wish to change water pump also.. BTW I have a new water pump, GM with the o ring.. I bought it prior, but had to let them get a new one for warrante resons.
If you were interested Ill sellthe one I have (new ac delco) for $25 plus shipping. The one they put on my car was $80.
Use my id @yahoo.com for contact if u like. I can take a picture of what they removed from my car to show you what is included with the timing kit I supplied the # For.