: High Pressure hose power steering

4dr-ls6
01-10-11, 04:16 PM
Hi:
I have a leaky P/S hose. Has anyone replaced one of these? Is it a relatively simple repair? It goes from the rack to the PS pump. It seems possible to change out from under the car but I cannot see anything looking down from the hood. Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Regards,
Paul

Chris0nllyn
01-10-11, 04:42 PM
I don't know if I have the same thing. But there's alot of gunk on my steering rack. I haven't had a chance to look at it real close.

In for more info.

tweeter81
01-10-11, 04:49 PM
I was just attempting to research the exact same thing this morning. I was told by my mechanic last year that my PS hose was sweating. I wonder if anything can be done to wrap the hose/connections and keep the leaking to a minimum until it gets so bad that an actual replacement hose is needed. Maybe black electrical tape, wound tightly?

darkman
01-10-11, 07:03 PM
See attached.

To flush the system after the hose change, with the apron still off the car:

1. Remove the bolts holding the PS cooler and let the cooler drop.
2. With a catch pan in place - remove one of the cooler hoses and drain.
3. Reattach the hose.
4. Top off the reservoir with fluid and run the engine 2-3 minutes making sure the reservoir is full.
5. Repeat Steps 2-4 until you are draining clear fluid. (The OEM fluid is crystal clear-some other brands may be red like ATF).
6. Reassemble everything.
7. Recheck the reservoir periodically in case you had an air bubble.

CadzillaTN
01-10-11, 08:35 PM
Hoses? Lets talk hoses.
I have had 3 ps hoses replaced this yr. (one twice) I can remember them sweating bad!

I swear every damn steering part on my car is shot right now. I got in a wrestling match with her the other day at lunch in a parking lot. It was creepy. The friggin stability control was fighting me at 5 mph...

No one knows the hell I speak of.

What I mean is good luck with the hose..

4dr-ls6
01-11-11, 11:36 AM
Darkman:
I think you have come to my rescue again!
Much appreciated!
PG

4dr-ls6
01-11-11, 11:46 AM
Hey Darkman:
I have an interesting problem that maybe you have encountered before. All at once I was getting major driveline vibration. I changed the rear axle bearing on passenger side and that solved the rear diff vibration. I had all 4 wheels balanced and rotated the tires and that eliminated a low speed vibration at around 15-18MPH. The tire shop did not see any sign of a bent rim. It still vibrates around 45 MPH but while it appears to be steering related it is difficult to determine if the vibration is felt more in the steering wheel or drivers seat. The vibration is gone by 50 or so all the way up to 90MPH+.
Your thoughts?
Paul

PJGross
01-11-11, 11:56 AM
threadjacking your own thread? :) I have a weeping hp hose currently and getting ready to have it swapped. If it wasn't so cold looks doable.
On the vibrations, did you have the wheels/tires roadforce balanced? That might tell you if your tires are for sure the problem or not. I've caught several bad tires by having them Hunter roadforce balanced (by guys that know how to properly use the feature). Might be worth knowing the rims/tires are good before going down other routes.

4dr-ls6
01-11-11, 02:11 PM
Thanks. I will take that route first.