: 1989 fleetwood parts car

newside
01-10-11, 03:24 PM
hi all. i have a chance to buy a 1989 fleetwood for a very good price, by what i'm told it's going to be a parts car. My question is will the grille doors, or interior work for parts on my 1979 sedan deville? also what motor went into that year?i'm buying this unseen as my buddy is making the deal for me. Thanks

outsider
01-10-11, 03:28 PM
well if you mean the 1989 fleetwood, then it's a front wheel drive and thus you're in the wrong forum.
the engine from this car would be a 4.5 litre i think.

If it's a 1989 brougham then it's RWD.
the engine fro this car would be a 307...

Not sure on the rest of the parts, though...but my gut would say no to the parts swapping over

sven914
01-10-11, 06:16 PM
If the part's car is a front wheel drive, then nothing will swap over...

If it's rear wheel drive, them most of the body panels won't fit. The grill used in the '80's is about twice as tall as the one used in '79. The hood used in the '70's is tented more then in the '80's, so that might throw off the angle of the body lines, if you use the newer doors. If the doors do bolt up, then the opera window on the rear doors will not match the originals. As for the interior; you can swap almost everything (maybe not the radio) between the two cars. It just won't look original, as all of the trim, panels, and wood-grain is different.

The cars do have the exact same chassis. So if your de Ville's chassis is too degraded to repair, you can swap the entire body and drive-train to the newer chassis. Also, if it turns out that the de Ville is less salvageable than the part's car, you can swap your 425 into the Brougham (it's a direct bolt in), and junk that 307 Oldsmobile.

I would recommended, before your friend closes the deal, that you find some pictures of '80's Cadillac Rear Wheel Drives, to see if there are any parts you want in or on your car. I usually look at cardomain.com (http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/Cadillac/Brougham/all/all/all/1980/1989/all/all/all/44301/). Just search for 1980-1989 Cadillac Brougham; most of them have been modified but there are some really good examples of what your part's car will look like.

newside
01-10-11, 07:55 PM
thanks for replying guys. It is a 1989 rear wheel drive brougham. It's kind of rusty but lots of usable parts. The guy wants $300 for it and my buddy who is a junker is going to take it for iron if i don't it. i hate to see an old caddy go to the crusher I might take it and part it out. thanks again

brougham
01-11-11, 11:45 PM
For that price you can probably get some usable parts off it. Then flip what's left to your scrap buddy and make the rest of the money back.

creeker
01-12-11, 12:02 AM
thanks for replying guys. It is a 1989 rear wheel drive brougham. It's kind of rusty but lots of usable parts. The guy wants $300 for it and my buddy who is a junker is going to take it for iron if i don't it. i hate to see an old caddy go to the crusher I might take it and part it out. thanks again

Might be an idea to post where you live.