: Stupid clock on a 1977

abcdefg
09-25-04, 04:48 PM
Why do those clocks on these cars die? I can not find the 2A fuse which my service manual tells me to check, and i even see these clocks not working in chrystlers.

Does the motor burn out, or is there a secret hidden fuse?

Night Wolf
09-25-04, 06:05 PM
I guess you mean Eldorado? (which is FWD :D)

eh... I can't give you an answer to the question, all I know is, most all of the clocks don't work.... but I guess that can be a good thing....

... on a 30 year old car... across the board, the biggest problem that people have.... is the little clock in the dash not working.... kinda cool in a sick way :)

abcdefg
09-25-04, 07:45 PM
its a deville.

Night Wolf
09-25-04, 10:33 PM
then it can't be a '77.... '77 was the first year for the new style... unless it is different then my '79... the only clock in the car is on the radio... which is digital.... unless they changed it between '77 and '79....

FASSTWOOD
09-25-04, 10:44 PM
Hey, cheer up even a broken clock is right twice a day!!! :histeric:

sethmartin
09-25-04, 11:16 PM
My '78 DeVille has a clock up near the top of the dash just to the left of the fuel gauge. It's still working (so far).

Night Wolf
09-26-04, 05:41 AM
hmmm.... I never knew that, mine dosn't have that... must be the old analog roll types... pretty nifity....

Hoop
09-26-04, 05:13 PM
My '71 Cutlass has an analog clock in the gauge cluster. It works from time to time...:D

Pianoman72
09-27-04, 01:26 PM
I took apart the clock in my '72 Cutlass because it wasn't working. When it is about to die (wind-out) it is supposed to wind itself up as an arm touches something that completes the circuit and triggers an electromagnet to push it away (winding it back up). What happend on mine is that this wouldn't work as planned and the arm would stay there and the coil on the electromagnet would melt in a small part and that was the end of that.

In other words the clock was totally manual via springs and it only uses power when it needs a rewind. Your clock probably works perfectly but the mechanism that winds it up is bad.

I know there are companies that will do quartz conversions on these old clocks and I would recommend that. It will keep better time and actually work.

abcdefg
09-27-04, 05:29 PM
I shook an angry fist at the clock, but it didnt do anything (this was after yelling at the gas gauge for going down to 1/4 tank a little too fast)

1caddy96
11-14-04, 08:13 PM
i have similar problem mine only works when i'm driving it, it works when i look at it but when i'm not paying attention and then i look over the time is way off? i don't get it? i have a '78 with clock up on center dashboard

notyettoday
11-29-04, 08:30 AM
wow i must have gotten lucky, i have a 78 fwb and my clock works fine

cadillacdeville
11-29-04, 04:08 PM
you're not the only lucky one my 77 deville clock works to the second no matter how long it sits never had a problem also its the roll type to the left of the fuel gauge oh and that digital gauge on the radio is an option that was availible in 77-79 any way check ebay I think I saw a NOS 77 cadillac clock for sale

Dead Sled
11-30-04, 09:17 PM
mines dead as a door nail there are quartz replacements for them