Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2004 V Thermostat - does it require the integrated housing?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  darkman 
#1 ·
I have an early 2004, and I recently started running cold and getting the CEL related to the car taking too long to come up to temperature. I'm pretty sure my thermostat is basically stuck open and so I went to a local parts store to get a replacement. I watched him look it up on the screen, and it definitely showed my 2004 V, but the thermostat I got was a regular thermostat (no housing). Then I went on here to do some searches and see if there were any "helpful hints" people had from doing the thermostat replacement, and I started to see mention of the early LS6 cars needing a thermostat that was integrated into the housing.
What's the deal?
Was there some sort of cutoff date where GM went from an integrated housing setup to a regular thermostat setup or is it one of those deals where people just started putting regular thermostats into that special housing and figured out that it worked fine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.