: The new V coupe race car 80% stock LOL!!!

crankedupforit
01-10-11, 09:42 AM
Carbon fiber body, lexan windows, no supercharger, no magnetic shocks, less HP than a stock V2 and 3100lbs. I'm not dissin it. I think it will kick some ass for sure. It's a sales and marketing tool which in my book is perfectly OK. Sounds alot like Pilgrims 05 racer except for the carbon fiber. Cadi has the formula for success in racing.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/detroit-2011-cadillac-cts-coupe-racecar-12425.html

Andringa
01-10-11, 10:17 AM
Full powertrain modifications — for obvious reasons — have not been revealed, but the CTS-V racer retains a 6.2-liter V-8, but ditches the supercharger per SCCA regulations. Cadillac is working with the SCCA so it can run a supercharged engine in the near future. The normally-aspirated engine is coupled to an Xtrac, six-speed, sequential manual transmission. Despite being an all-out racecar, the racer actually produces less power than its road-going sibling. In order to comply with SCCA regulations power output has been toned down to somewhere in the neighborhood of 550 horsepower. With the CTS-V racecar’s new 3100 pound weight, some 900+ pounds less than the stock CTS-V Coupe, 550 horsepower should be more than enough to make the CTS-V racer competitive.

Rules are rules, but it is interesting that they had to get rid of the blower, yet power is still somewhere in the neighborhood of 550hp.

V-Guy
01-10-11, 10:24 AM
Exactly - it would be fascinating to know how they got that many more hp out of the normally aspirated motor.

tweeter81
01-10-11, 10:28 AM
The thing looks badass, and it will be a dominator!

Also, just like the Gen1 CTS-V racecar, the body looks squished flat, much lower and wider-looking than the street car's body. If you look at the front quarter panel above the front wheels, it looks like the racecar body is literally only half as tall compared to the street car...this must be because they shoved the motor back farther in the chasis and it must sit a number of inches lower as well. I can't wait to watch it in action.

silver02stang
01-10-11, 10:34 AM
b-e-a-utiful

AAIIIC
01-10-11, 10:58 AM
Sounds alot like Pilgrims 05 racer except for the carbon fiber.
I thought the 1st gen race car also had a CF body?

Rules are rules, but it is interesting that they had to get rid of the blower, yet power is still somewhere in the neighborhood of 550hp.
550hp N/A from a completely streetable 6.2L just isn't all that hard with the LS motors, so a race motor making that sort of power is easy.

Exactly - it would be fascinating to know how they got that many more hp out of the normally aspirated motor.
More cam, more RPMs, better flowing heads, better intake manifold, all the normal tricks, I'm sure.

crankedupforit
01-10-11, 11:06 AM
exactly - it would be fascinating to know how they got that many more hp out of the normally aspirated motor.

katech

crankedupforit
01-10-11, 11:22 AM
I thought the 1st gen race car also had a CF body?

I don't believe the gen 1 was all carbon fiber like this one. GM was criticized in the past for getting the officials to bend the rules for their programs. The infamous chopped rear cradle was one bone of contention with the gen. 1 car. That baby was slammed.

JD03Cobra
01-10-11, 11:27 AM
Thats a serious wing. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

V-Guy
01-10-11, 03:37 PM
More cam, more RPMs, better flowing heads, better intake manifold, all the normal tricks, I'm sure.

I'm sure you're right - but wouldn't it be cool to know the exact specifics??

CadiBlk
01-10-11, 03:52 PM
Anyone know where to find the race schedule at? Is there one yet?

tweeter81
01-10-11, 04:54 PM
Anyone know where to find the race schedule at? Is there one yet?

http://www.world-challenge.com/event/season.php?y=2011

Junior1
01-10-11, 08:30 PM
Looks bad@ss...

Dan_Gurney
01-10-11, 08:52 PM
They just need to get the weight of the production car down to 3100lb... heck throw a base ls3 into it, and i'm good to go.

repenttokyo
01-12-11, 02:13 PM
i saw the car in person monday, and it bears little resemblance to a stock V except in general body shape...it looks like a race car.

AAIIIC
01-12-11, 11:39 PM
http://www.world-challenge.com/event/season.php?y=2011
I hadn't really made note of it initially, but now that I look at this again, it's rather disappointing that Cadillac is going back to World Challenge. The series has really fallen in popularity in the few years since they last competed. The Grand Am Continental Tire series has way more competitors and has 2 more events this year (10 vs 8). Not to mention all of their events are actually scheduled! I don't think it's very reassuring for the World Challenge series that a month after their 2011 schedule was announced the last 2 events of the season (25% of the season's events) are still TBD!

I'll still pay attention to see how the new car does, but I think it would've been nice to see Cadillac go to ALMS or Grand Am.

tweeter81
01-13-11, 11:24 AM
I hadn't really made note of it initially, but now that I look at this again, it's rather disappointing that Cadillac is going back to World Challenge. The series has really fallen in popularity in the few years since they last competed. The Grand Am Continental Tire series has way more competitors and has 2 more events this year (10 vs 8). Not to mention all of their events are actually scheduled! I don't think it's very reassuring for the World Challenge series that a month after their 2011 schedule was announced the last 2 events of the season (25% of the season's events) are still TBD!

I'll still pay attention to see how the new car does, but I think it would've been nice to see Cadillac go to ALMS or Grand Am.

I agree, Grand Am seems to be where it's at these days. ALMS just seems to be a little too "big time" for me (even though it is still awesome to watch the Vettes kick ass), I kindof like the more grassroots feel of the World Challenge and Grand Am.

liqidvenom
01-14-11, 02:34 AM
ALMS would require them to field a competitor to the gt2 c6 vehicle. Also ALMS prob wouldnt allow so many changes to the v coupe to keep it competitive.

crankedupforit
01-14-11, 08:30 AM
Speaking of the Grand Am Continental Tire series, there is a local guy by me that the hardcore racers go to and get used Conti (HoosierR6 rebadged) tires from that series. He follows the series and buys them from the teams. He has what he calls "100%'s" which have all the thread (5/32) and guarantees no flat spots or mounting problems. $100 ea. He has 75%'s for $75 and 50%'s for $50. He carries our size 275/35/18s. The next load is coming in a few weeks. He's in Lake Geneva Wisconsin. PM if you want me to check some out for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270618283013&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

tweeter81
01-14-11, 11:05 AM
Awesome! I was just thinking about starting a thread regarding cheap race rubber (although I really want the BFG R1s). I would love to jump on a deal like this, but also want to get some TD track wheels to mount them on. I guess I could mount them on my stockers for the time being...Man, I have a feeling my tax return money is going to go bye bye real quick.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
01-14-11, 06:48 PM
That's similar to the deal I got on some R6s. About 50-75% tread, 275/35/18, twelve tires for $450. I'm hoping they work fine up front.