Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Tire size for 10" rims?

8K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  tommy compton 
#1 ·
Shipped off my stockers to get widened to weldcraft wheels to 10".
I have MAP trailing arms and am lowered 2" in the rear.
I'm trying to decide on tire size either,
285/40/18
or
295/35/18
I will be rolling my rear fenders but I'm wondering if the 295's will stick outside the fender? or if on a 10" rim that won't be an issue.
Some one on the CTS_V parts page is apparently running 295 on gc lowered 1.5" in the rear, with an 8mm spacer. I won't be running a spacer so it would run inside more.
Obviously I would prefer a 295, and there is better tire selection in 35 profile.
Any insight?

#2 ·
Den_93 had these GM wheels widened to 9.75" from the same company. He's running Goodyear GSD-3's 275-40-18's...they run wide, more like 285's. I would think on a 10" rim 295's would fit perfect...mounting to a lowered car may be a different story.

#5 ·
I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I have 275/40 18s (the same F1 GS D3s as above) on the rear of mine with stock height and rims and no problems rubbing anything. While the rims are off for winter, I was thinking of getting them widened and going with different width tires in spring.

I like the idea of the 295/35s because they're slightly shorter than stock vs 285/40s slightly larger. I was thinking of going 295/35s in rear and 255/40s in front to get the difference down to .4% which shouldn't effect the abs/stability/etc.

I was hoping to do this with just the MAP arms and slightly widened rims.

I wouldn't think 295s on 10" rims would stick out any further than my 275s on stock rims, which are noticably past the rim lip. You're gaining well over an inch on rim width and under an inch of tread width.....but I'm not lowered, so I'm not sure how things tuck when you're not "trucking" like me. :)

Please get this done before spring so I can pull the trigger on some widened rims!

-PJ

-PJ

#6 ·
It will be spring when I put them on. If nobody chimes in to reassure me I'll be going with the 285's.
I also just ordered up some powergrid adjustable endlinks. I can hopefully tighten up my rear Eibach sway, to help counter understeer. Will be grabbing some BMR toe rods too, so I don't rub from camber.

#31 ·
I put 285/40/18 on my stock rims with the crappy MAP arms.....I am pretrty low with the Eibachs with the f2 shocks....The reason for me mounting them on the small rim was because after spending a fortune on getting my rims widened to
10-3/8ths...for the 305's that would not even come close, i wanted to see if the285/40/18 would clear and it does....no problem .....if that helps any....also, to everyone it is very very dangerous driving on 8.5 rims with a 285...while doing some serious highway agressive driving i had to pass a vehicle in traffic while braking and the V went almost entirely out of control....i let off the brake and had to pick up my speed or i would have rolled it...very scary:bigroll:when i got home i let out about 10 psi on each tire and it helped a lot but still is not safe.. Anyway, my rims should be done this or next week...I had them narrowed from the 10-3/8ths to 9-3/4's....They will work great on the 285's...BUT, i am hoping they will not only fit with a 295/35/18 but that losing 1/4" of rim the V will handle ok for a 10" rim is suppossed to be the minium when running a 295..LIKE I SAID 285's YOUR OK:yup: 295"s:hmm::hmm:

ps: one more thing about my near rolling the car....my MAP rear trl. arms are torqued about 40 to 50 less on the rear red bushing so as not to squish them......That might, i am[ not sure,], have also contributed some to the car swerving severly when driving agressive...

#7 ·
^^^ok, I'll just drive on snow tires a bit longer. :)

Rim wise, I would have to search, but 10" (widened stock rims) with MAP arms, would 275s hit anything else at stock height? That could be a default, and I'll remount my old tires after getting the rims widened to check for clearance before going wider with the new tires.

#10 ·
Sorry, that last post of mine didn't come out right. I'm running 275s now with no rubbing on stock rims. Your post didn't say anything about 10" rims. I was wondering if in taking a stock rear to 10" would interfere with anything else (like putting the tire in contact with any body areas, inner fender wells, etc which was discussed in that MAP debacle of a thread in regards to wider tires, so I've given up on 305 or 315s for now)

If you're saying a 10" stock widened rim will fit even with stock arms and no wheel spacers then it would be a no brainer for me, I'd just get them widened to 10" and be done with it. However, looking at the clearance of my 275s at stock width to my trailing arms, I have a hard time thinking that I wouldn't get them to rub on the stock arms with that extra rim hanging back there and no wheel spacers, even with the 275 width that doesn't rub now.

#9 ·
Good to know, If I'm dealing with only 5mm more to the outside than 275's rolled fenders may do the trick, for 285's.
But check out #3 on the cts-v tire size page,
says he's running 295/35/20 lowered 1.5", with an 8mm spacer. He must be way outside the fender with the spacer, thats why ithought maybe it would be possible without the spacer to be inside the fender. But yes from what I have read 295's stick out, but unsure of what rim size people had them on, somepeople jamming them on stock 8.5, or others with 9.5, or 19/9's. Also I know people who were running 295's were also running spacers to clear the trailing arms, but do to stock ride hieght were O.K..

#13 ·
I'm running 255/40/18 on Front stock wheels and 295/35/18 on back with widen stock wheels to 9.75 and coilovers about 1.5in lowered. I have the MAP trailing arms, longer studs and an 8mm spacer. My rear wheels do not stick past the fender well at the top. I was being conservative when I did my setup. I think you can go 10in wide rim with a 5mm spacer (non-hub centric) and the MAP trailing arms (not sure if you need longer studs, it will be close). Don't use the anything less than 5mm for a spacer because they will probably crack. The size spacer will depend on which tire you use. The largest spacer you can go is about 14mm before you stick past the fender well with my 9.75mm wheels.

#15 ·
Any reason why 9.75" was your magic number? Did you ask for 10" but turned out 9.75" for whatever reason?

#18 ·
#21 ·
Hey Dennis, which is it, 9.75 or 10? I think when we were PMing you mentioned 10". :)

I was re-reading the wheel widening thread and I was trying to figure out what would hit next after the trailing arms. I guess if I could avoid a spacer and still run the 295 that would be the sweet spot. I have stockers and winter tires too, so it would be a pain, but I guess running the spacer and longer studs year round wouldn't hurt anything, right? An offset track in the winter might help traction? :)

-PJ

#22 ·
When I measured it initally, with the car jacked up, it was hitting at 9.75. After I lowered the car on the ground, it had more room (maybe a 1/2 more?). I think you can get away with 10in. but it is going to be close. I went with 9.75 because I was being conservitve, but every car/tires could be different. In the spring, we can meetup and we can mount my wheels on your car, but you will need the MAP trailing arms. The bad part is, I still can't get traction with 295's. I have some 305 Drag Radials on some Fikse I am going to try at the track.

#23 ·
Dennis - Not sure if I'm clear on this but did you need the MAP trailing arms at 9.75" with spacers?

#24 ·
Yes, you do need MAP trailing arms w/ 9.75. For the spacers, it depends on what tire you use, its very close and hard to measure without a hoist. Without spacers on my car, it looked like I had very little room, but I have the extended studs, so I couldn't get the lug nuts to bottom out to find out for sure.

I need to find some open ended lug nuts to try it.

#28 ·
Excellent! Did you get the rims back? Also what size spacers did you go with?

#29 ·
Rims aren't back yet, but I got my 5mm spacers. I actually had to change my tire choice to BFG g-force something or other, apparently nitto won't allow shippment of their tires to Canada from the US (price is too low) I'm actually pretty dissapointed by it, but not enough to pay higher prices up here.

#32 ·
After i spent over $850.00 to have my rims widened to 10-3/8ths MAP was way off with his calculations...I took them back to the machine and spent another
$500 even to cut them down to 9-3/4"...300 to narrow and 200 to shave the weld so it looks stock...i am hoping to put on 295/35/18's now with no spacer..I did some measuring and i think it will work..The shop called me last tuesday and said they were done...now i need 295 tires to check out the fit. i want Nitto's but not sure if they carry that size..:thepan: i would like to put some sticky drag radials on the V.........When i find some rubber i will post my results.:alchi:GREG O

#33 ·
:helpless:WOW!!!! what a nightmare or Wheelmare:suspense:Nightmare. . Damn, should of just bought CCWs.
:coffee: I hate seeing what you went through, but you've learned alot :wisdom: (considering your age :duck: :hide:)

and we learn from others. :thumbsup:
------------------------- ~:vulcan:~

#34 ·
Alright you guys ... you've got my head spinning after reading this thread.

I don't have the MAP trailing arms, and I'm lowered about 3/4" (~19mm). I've got a set of staggered wheeldude wheels coming (8.5 x 19 fronts and 10 x 19 rears with 47 mm offset). To be sure about this, can anyone assure me that I won't have any problems using 245/40zr19 for the front and 275/35zr19 for the rear? Unlike Greg, who seems to have a doggone money tree in his yard, I don't want to plunk down a thousand bucks and have issues. Thanks.

Here's what's in the faq:

"What is the largest wheel or tire that will fit on the V?
Wheel Width
I’m sure you can use 9X20 on the V but the ride will be crap.

Given the front geometry 9 in the front is the max and as high as 10 in the rear.

I wouldnt get bigger than a 19” wheel.
Tire size
255/35/19 Front
275-285-35-19 rear
You have to stay within the 26.6” tire diameter within a few points.

A 27 inch or a 25.5 might cause problems.

thanks Lastss "

#37 ·
Re: Tire size for 10" rims?
WOW!!!! what a nightmare or WheelmareNightmare. . Damn, should of just bought CCWs.
I hate seeing what you went through, but you've learned alot (considering your age )

and we learn from others.
------------------------- ~~ Re: Tire size for 10" rims?
WOW!!!! what a nightmare or WheelmareNightmare. . Damn, should of just bought CCWs.
I hate seeing what you went through, but you've learned alot (considering your age )

and we learn from others.
------------------------- ~~
It has been a nightmare,:mad: and still waiting to get new bushings made up...I still have 4 new 305/30/18's to sell Toyos and Perelli's:bigroll:fyi. i don't reccomend it but i put a new set of fulda carret's 285/35/18's on the rear on my stock 8-1/2" rims... i have Eibachs and sitting pretty low and there is no problem clearance wise. So the worst situation would be 285's on my 9-3/4" widened stock rims:alchi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.