: Just announced...

ga_etc
01-09-11, 10:23 PM
A special preview tonight announced that the VW plant in Chattanooga, TN is to build the next generation Passat. The official announcement and press conference will be tomorrow. They even showed a 1:30ish commercial style preview video. It looks nothing like the current car. More like an over grown new Jetta.

Just found this picture online. Obviously this is the Wagon, but the front end styling is the same.
http://www.autoevolution.com/images/news/2010-paris-auto-show-2012-volkswagen-passat-24901_1.jpg

Aron9000
01-09-11, 10:28 PM
Great news for Tennessee!! Hopefully this new Passat will be less trouble prone than VW's of the past. I really do like VW/Audi designs and their driving dynamics, would probably own one if they were cheaper to fix and more reliable.

ga_etc
01-09-11, 10:31 PM
I really like the styling of the current Passat, and even more so, the CC.

Playdrv4me
01-09-11, 10:36 PM
That's a very nice Audi looking body... And I spy LED headlamps on that Euro model.

ga_etc
01-09-11, 10:40 PM
Yeah. Those aren't coming here. This VW plant is the recovery that this area sorely needs. The plant can't be completed soon enough.

ga_etc
01-09-11, 10:42 PM
This looks like the US Spec version.

http://www.fastmotoring.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/passat.jpg

orconn
01-10-11, 12:20 AM
To me that's a handsome design. I too like the look and driving dynamics of VW/Audi products, unfortunately my previous experience with an Audi (but good experience with a Volkswagen) leaves me in a quandary as to whether to ever take the VW/Audi plunge again. Hopefully Detroit will make that decision unnecessary!

Stingroo
01-10-11, 01:22 AM
Wagons yay!

Aron9000
01-10-11, 02:04 AM
Wagons yay!

:werd: Wish we had more options in the U.S. I personally hate crossovers, they are either mommy-mobiles or owned by somebody of my parents generation. The wagon, oddly enough, has become a vehicle of choice for the quirky, young, artistic person of my generation(Y). We never grew up with wagons, so there really is no stigma attached with them IMO(well my parents had a Volvo 240 that they traded in when I was 5, I barely remember it other than it being red and having vinyl seats that would burn your legs). I think we were the last people to own a wagon on our block, and probably the only people who didn't own an SUV in the 90's, we stuck by the sedan with a trunk(Buick Regal)

Jesda
01-10-11, 04:18 AM
I feel asleep looking at it.

They've also blandified (new word) and cheaped out the Jetta, downgrading its suspension to allow them to lower the MSRP.

Jesda
01-10-11, 04:37 AM
http://www.carforums.net/reviews/makes/pictures/saturn10.jpg
Familiar?

I do like the new Passat's tail lights and interior, but at $7000 less than the old Passat, the money had to come from somewhere.

Stingroo
01-10-11, 11:33 AM
Aron, how old are you? (I don't recall ever seeing/hearing/reading a number) Are you much older than I am?

ga_etc
01-10-11, 09:02 PM
http://www.carforums.net/reviews/makes/pictures/saturn10.jpg
Familiar?

I do like the new Passat's tail lights and interior, but at $7000 less than the old Passat, the money had to come from somewhere.

My aunt had a L200 or L300 as a rental one time that I got to drive. I kinda liked it. :hide:

DouglasJRizzo
01-10-11, 09:17 PM
I truly miss wagons. I own a '96 Roadmaster Estate Wagon, the last of decades of station wagons from GM (Buicks and Chevies) and Ford (LTD's).

drewsdeville
01-10-11, 10:04 PM
:werd: Wish we had more options in the U.S. I personally hate crossovers, they are either mommy-mobiles or owned by somebody of my parents generation. The wagon, oddly enough, has become a vehicle of choice for the quirky, young, artistic person of my generation(Y). We never grew up with wagons, so there really is no stigma attached with them IMO(well my parents had a Volvo 240 that they traded in when I was 5, I barely remember it other than it being red and having vinyl seats that would burn your legs). I think we were the last people to own a wagon on our block, and probably the only people who didn't own an SUV in the 90's, we stuck by the sedan with a trunk(Buick Regal)

Lulz. This is the only thing I remember my parents wagons for as well (1980 Impala wagon and 1981 Custom Cruiser, both diesel).

I actually prefer cloth seats in all of my cars for this reason (I loved my '95 Deville for it's cloth interior). Like vinyl, leather gets quite uncomfortable in extreme temps if the car isn't sheltered, which mine never is.

ga_etc
01-10-11, 10:32 PM
Wouldn't mind having one of these.

http://images.autotrader.com/scaler/565/421/images/2010/11/23/290/330/18218428891.290330333.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.j pg

Jesda
01-10-11, 10:47 PM
My aunt had a L200 or L300 as a rental one time that I got to drive. I kinda liked it. :hide:

Yeah they were pretty decent handling cars

ga_etc
01-10-11, 11:56 PM
I thought it was a good looking little car too. As far as Saturns go, I've seen much worse.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-11, 12:26 AM
Why is VW cheapening & blandifying all their stuff out? Did they get sick of their style?

Jesda
01-11-11, 02:26 AM
My suspicion is that VW NA now sees a vulnerability at Honda and especially Toyota, both of which have lost market share, so they're sneaking in with bargain-priced cars to directly compete with Camry, Corolla, and Accord and expand their base. No longer do they have to differentiate themselves by making nice-driving premium-aspiring cars.

ga_etc
01-11-11, 02:36 AM
Yeah, they're really after market share now. It's kinda depressing.

Aron9000
01-11-11, 03:03 AM
Yeah, they're really after market share now. It's kinda depressing.

True that, and it really is kind of sad. I always thought the reason VW was uncompetitive on price was the Euro exchange rates. I was hoping they could build the same sort of premium Passat and Jetta in the US and get their prices in line just by saving money on the exchange rates. Honestly though, if these new models excercise all the electrical gremlins and unreliability from the brand then I'd be happy.