: Chevy HHR is not that much bad.....

ben.gators
01-09-11, 08:56 PM
Last week I had a trip to east coast. I called discount cab, a very popular taxi service in Arizona, for a taxi to airport and 15 minutes later there was a Toyota Prius in front of my apartment, sh*t!!!

What an uncomfortable car it was! It was my first time (and hope last time!) I sat in a Prius... Everything look and feel cheap... No dashboard in front of driver, the cabin was horribly noisy, and the ride was very harsh! I asked the driver "are your shocks shot or bad" and he said no, it was something like this when the car was brand new too...The suspension system was so bad that I could feel the road with my ass!

Yesterday, when I returned back to Phoenix airport and stepped out of it, I saw a series of HHR taxis!!!! OMG! There is just one cab company that works in Airport and the city of Phoenix has prohibited other cab companies from picking up passengers in front of terminals. Anyway, I reluctantly sat inside one of the HHRs, and well, it was not that much bad. The seats were overall comfortable, the cabin is tall and there is plenty of space for leg space. I am 5' 10" and there was extra space for my legs or head and therefore the rear seats will be comfortable for taller people too. Since HHR is a crossover, there is no problem in fitting passenger's luggage too. The dashboard was neat, and the interior does not feel cheap. When the driver starts to drive, a smile came to my face! The cabin was almost noise free, the ride was very smooth and comfortable and the engine had adequate power. I asked about the engine and the driver said it has the base 4I engine. It is hard to judge about the power of an engine without driving the car, but it seemed that the driver had no problem in acceleration and speeding up.... Suspension of the car was the system amazed me the most... The asphalt of Phoenix airport, especially the exit to 202 highway, is terribly bad, but the suspension system hided all of road blemishes and the ride was so smooth even on that bumpy road!

Cons: Well, the interior design is as strange as the exterior design, for example circular door handles!!!

Overall, my thumbs are up for HHR, although there is no way I see myself behind the wheels of an HHR! I do hate the exterior design, however I should admit HHR is a good car in terms of ride and mechanics in its own class and league. I hope Chevy does the same good job in its other cars as well.

ThumperPup
01-10-11, 12:51 AM
First Experience was with a 2010 HHR i rented last summer from National when i was in Chicago it was a great car drove it back to Ohio got 35 MPG i think
had like 30 miles on it when i picked it up

second experience was with a 2008 HHR that mom asked me about when she was looking for a new car this past fall
i said it was a good car when i rented it got great MPG was a sturdy car
i wish i never vouched for that freaking peace of shit lol

and the worst thing is the GM dealership we got it at the caddy dealership down the road they had no freaking clue what they where doing
first the power sterring and the power drain the PS went out
they said oh its a steering colum and PS switch so they replaced that or so they said
picked it up was ok
a week latter battery was dead again took it back they said we left a light on
nope
then 2 weeks laker it woudltn start tried to jump it it started after about 20 minutes and only felt like it was running on 3 cylenders it was shaking so hard coudlnt get it ot go higher then 10 or 15 MPH down hill lol
they said it was the battery terminals that where ditry they cleaned them wokred ok for a week or 2
battery tied again over nite no lights left on nothing they said it was the Power Merror switch pulling the power
they replaced that not under warranty then 3 weeks latter after jumping the car like 4 times took it back they had it towed there cost
they said oh its teh radio took the radio out said we can sell you a knew one give you a good rate 550 dollars installed
i said FU took the radio out and havent had a damm problem with it since LOL but ofcourse mom has no radio went driving not yet

Stingroo
01-10-11, 12:58 AM
I think they look great on the outside. I'd take an HHR SS any day. If they made HHR Panel SS's then we're really in business! Too bad they're powered by the wrong wheels. :(

So, to recap, these are the "weird" GM models that I would drive in a heartbeat:

SSR
Aztek
HHR
Holden Ute
Apparently - a B-body wagon.

What? I like what I like. :D

ben.gators
01-10-11, 01:06 AM
PupFromCleveland

I guess mine was 2010 or 2009. About your mom's HHR, yeah, sometimes electrical problems are very hard to track and locate.... Is you mom happy with the car? How is the ride?

Stingroo
01-10-11, 01:10 AM
Did I miss any, Ben? :lol:

ben.gators
01-10-11, 01:15 AM
I think they look great on the outside. I'd take an HHR SS any day. If they made HHR Panel SS's then we're really in business! Too bad they're powered by the wrong wheels. :(

So, to recap, these are the "weird" GM models that I would drive in a heartbeat:

SSR
Aztek
HHR
Holden Ute

What? I like what I like. :D

My son, I pray God's healing for you! :worship:

:D :rolleyes:

Stingroo
01-10-11, 01:21 AM
:histeric: It'll be a great future. My dream driveway will have practically no risk of theft (except for the Corvette that'll be hiding in the garage).

ben.gators
01-10-11, 01:28 AM
Oh sh*t!!!! Today I did some search to figure out the options and prices of HHR and also sent a thread about HHR! Now Google thinks I am interested in HHR and shows me HHR advertisements here and there!!!!
http://i53.tinypic.com/axs39.png

Aron9000
01-10-11, 02:14 AM
Oh sh*t!!!! Today I did some search to figure out the options and prices of HHR and also sent a thread about HHR! Now Google thinks I am interested in HHR and shows me HHR advertisements here and there!!!!
http://i53.tinypic.com/axs39.png

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIT9yNVsGIiPCigeX-wU3KKyupkbkoUXknas8j2C-dNydhCt8r

Jesda
01-10-11, 02:42 AM
Its basically a Cobalt wagon, and the Cobalt could also be summed up as "not that bad"

ben.gators
01-10-11, 03:23 AM
^
Well, I have driven a Cobalt, and I should say the drive was harsher and the cabin was nosier than the HHR.... That is why I am saying the HHR was beyond my expectations....

ben.gators
01-10-11, 03:56 AM
Aron9000

Yeah, big brother is watching us! Sometimes I think Google knows too much about the people!

mhamilton
01-10-11, 03:30 PM
I was also pleasantly surprised that Chevy makes darn nice little cars. I've always liked Chevy, and compared with the other brands they're night and day.

In November I was out to Phoenix for business, the rental place stuck me with a Nissan Versa. Oh dear god, what a POS! First nevermind the fact that it was like getting into a clown car and didn't have the power of a lawn mower... it's a small car with a small engine, I get that. The car rode smoothly, as long as you didn't go over bumps. If you did, it felt like they used blocks of 4x4 pine instead of shock absorbers. Even on smooth highway, I could feel every grain of sand on the road through the wheel. A 2010 car with 15,000 miles had a dash that rattled. The 4 speed automatic shifted so loud and harsh... I've driven trucks with broken C6 transmissions that had better shift quality. Oh, and on cold starts it sounded like it had un-lashed mechanical lifters.

On top of that, it took me 2 days to find the mirror adjustment (down where you would expect the hood release to be), and I never did figure out how to open the trunk except getting out and using the key.

I was never so happy to get home to my own car!

ben.gators
01-10-11, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I have no idea why some of compact cars are so uncomfortable... OK, I can understand that the company wants to reduce the weight and gas millage as much as possible, but it should not result in terribly loud cabin and awfully harsh drive...

And by the way, I was in your state, North Carolina, indeed! I flied to Durham, and then took the supershuttle to Chapel Hill! I should say I did like Chapel Hill, clean old fashioned streets with a series of trees each side, single floor or two floor homes around, nice people who are classier than here, they were mostly in good shape and wearing good clothes... And the wether was not that much cold....

mhamilton
01-10-11, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I have no idea why some of compact cars are so uncomfortable... OK, I can understand that the company wants to reduce the weight and gas millage as much as possible, but it should not result in terribly loud cabin and awfully harsh drive...

And by the way, I was in your state, North Carolina, indeed! I flied to Durham, and then took the supershuttle to Chapel Hill! I should say I did like Chapel Hill, clean old fashioned streets with a series of trees each side, single floor or two floor homes around, nice people who are classier than here, they were mostly in good shape and wearing good clothes... And the wether was not that much cold....

Oh my gosh, that's too funny :) Last month I was out to Phoenix and this month you were out here! I have to say I also enjoyed seeing the western states, quite a change from home, but very nice. I was in Ocotillo for 2 days, unfortunately didn't get to see much else in the area :( Hopefully next time! You have to let me know next time you're out here, I'm right outside of Chapel Hill/Durham. CH is very nice, downtown especially, though we around here like to poke fun at it most of the time lol. Glad your visit here was during our brief return to normal temperatures... now it's 20F and snowing again :mad:

gdwriter
01-10-11, 04:35 PM
Sounds similar to my own experience taking a Prius from the OSU motor pool for a business trip to Portland. Won't ever do that again. Interior was very cheap (and had not held up well over time; I think this one was a 2005 model) and my God was it noisy. I had a horrible headache by the time I brought it back. Possibly due to cheap-ass tires, but poor sound deadening as well. I don't remember the ride being particularly punishing however.

My Dad has a 2007 HHR he bought after having one as a rental. Really likes the gas mileage. My Mom, however, hates it. Mostly because of the way it looks. So if they travel anywhere together, they take her 2000 Buick Century.

ben.gators
01-10-11, 05:47 PM
Oh my gosh, that's too funny :) Last month I was out to Phoenix and this month you were out here! I have to say I also enjoyed seeing the western states, quite a change from home, but very nice. I was in Ocotillo for 2 days, unfortunately didn't get to see much else in the area :( Hopefully next time! You have to let me know next time you're out here, I'm right outside of Chapel Hill/Durham. CH is very nice, downtown especially, though we around here like to poke fun at it most of the time lol. Glad your visit here was during our brief return to normal temperatures... now it's 20F and snowing again :mad:

ha ha ha, that is funny, and please let me know if you come here again.... :) Indeed I was stuck at the hotel all the time and could not go around too.... I was in a conference hosted by triangle universities, and venue was "The Carolina Inn", and I spent all days and nights in the hotel, except launch and dinner times when I just walked to the downtown, Franklin Street. There was a great Mediterranean restaurant in downtown, and boy, the food was wonderful and prices were surprisingly cheap!!!!
By the way, what are the jokes about CH downtown? :D

ben.gators
01-10-11, 05:53 PM
Sounds similar to my own experience taking a Prius from the OSU motor pool for a business trip to Portland. Won't ever do that again. Interior was very cheap (and had not held up well over time; I think this one was a 2005 model) and my God was it noisy. I had a horrible headache by the time I brought it back. Possibly due to cheap-ass tires, but poor sound deadening as well. I don't remember the ride being particularly punishing however.

My Dad has a 2007 HHR he bought after having one as a rental. Really likes the gas mileage. My Mom, however, hates it. Mostly because of the way it looks. So if they travel anywhere together, they take her 2000 Buick Century.

I totally can understand you mom! However if someday I am forced to choose between Prius and HHR, I would definitely take HHR. But I will close my eyes, while I am walking toward HHR not to see what kind of car I am getting into! :D

mhamilton
01-10-11, 06:15 PM
ha ha ha, that is funny, and please let me know if you come here again.... :) Indeed I was stuck at the hotel all the time and could not go around too.... I was in a conference hosted by triangle universities, and venue was "The Carolina Inn", and I spent all days and nights in the hotel, except launch and dinner times when I just walked to the downtown, Franklin Street. There was a great Mediterranean restaurant in downtown, and boy, the food was wonderful and prices were surprisingly cheap!!!!
By the way, what are the jokes about CH downtown? :D

Well that's certainly a nice hotel to stay at! Was the restaurant 411 West by chance? (I'm guessing it was another place, because 411 isn't a bargain lol)

Oh, haha, well Chapel Hill has a bit of a reputation for greenies and tree huggers lol I'm sure you saw your fair share of Priuses down there! :) But it's more like a vocal minority. It's mostly just your typical college town, lots of bars and coffee shops, pizza places, etc. They have an art walk once a month in the summer where most of the galleries stay open (though I'd say Raleigh's is better, but being a State guy I'm biased lol). Durham is up and coming with some nice revitalized areas downtown, some very good restaurants, but you can quickly get into a bad neighborhood. Raleigh has one of the nicest downtowns. Next time you're here I'll tell you all the places to go visit :)

ben.gators
01-10-11, 07:09 PM
^

Well, the hotel was advertised as a very luxury place, as the room rates suggest too, but it was just a good normal hotel. However I might expected too much and I set the bars so high that the hotel did not meet my initial expectations.... but it was a nice place to stay....

Here is the restaurant:
http://www.mediterraneandeli.com
It is 411 West Franklin. I guess we are speaking about the same restaurant. About the prices, well, in that mediterranean place I had a big meal named Kebob, marinated meats served over a bed of Basmati rice with roasted almonds, and it came with two additional free sides, all for 9.99$!!! And also there were free complimentary olives, pickles and cheese in the middle and you can take as much as you like!!! And the quality of food was really good and the place was very clean! I call this a very good deal...
Today for launch I walked to a nearby mediterranean restaurant, well better to say fast food, and paid 8 dollars and something for an small pita gyro with some fries and an small drink.... And I barely can call it a launch!!!

About cars and driving, the most obvious thing that caught my eyes is sometimes people, either pedestrians or drivers, do not pay too much attention to driving and traffic rules and regulations. For example, sometimes I saw pedestrians crossing the streets wherever they like, or drivers during turning right into a neighborhood did't stop for pedestrians walking on sidewalks! The most interesting one was I saw a Toyota Camry, braked and stopped in the middle lane, and then used right indicator and after her right lane cleared she turned right into an street..... and this happened in a crowded street where cars were moving very fast too! I was shocked when I saw it, but our shuttle driver was very cool and simply drove from right side of the Camry and continued his way without any distraction....:O

These greenies, who are trying to save the earth with their clown cars, are everywhere! :D and I saw dozen of them in CH too... Also I saw a nice 98 or 99 STS driving right in front of me, I gazed at that beautiful STS from the moment I saw it coming near to me till it disappeared... The driver saw me watching his car and he continued watching me in his rear mirror too! I bet he was thinking what kind of retarded person I am! :D

mhamilton
01-10-11, 07:54 PM
Ah, that place must be across the street from 411 West Franklin (yours is 410 W. Franklin). 411 is an Italian place, 411 is actually the name of the restaurant (http://www.411west.com/). Passable fare, typical Americanized Italian dishes, but charge you a premium for it. They have valet parking, though. Anyway... the Greek place you went to looks good! I will have to try that. Thanks for the link :) There's a Greek and Lebanese bistro in Raleigh I love, but they don't have as big a variety as that one.

Ha! Don't even get me started on NC drivers. Don't expect 75% of them to use blinkers, and they wait for you to be within 10 ft before they cut out in front of you.

ben.gators
01-10-11, 08:00 PM
Oops, my bad, it is 410 west! :D

Oh boy, remembering all those delicious foods and reading their website made me so hungry! I really hope we had such a good place to eat around our campus too! We have nothing but junk fast foods or garbage restaurants around! Indeed there is one, but I can not go there anymore..... There is a waitress there, and I used to flirt her a lot... But she took it very seriously, and therefore I have been keeping a distance from there.... sh*t, I trashed a very good option for dinning because of some jokes and flirts...

Destroyer
01-10-11, 11:23 PM

SSR
Aztek
HHR
Holden Ute

What? I like what I like. :DSSR, yeah they got a "cool" factor to them. HHR, for a daily beater, yeah. Holden ute, sure why not. B-body wagon, ok. AZTEK???!!!!! Dude, put the crack pipe down, you need help!

Stingroo
01-11-11, 01:53 AM
That thing is cool. If they came with a V8 I'd be all over it. IT CAME WITH A TENT!

ga_etc
01-11-11, 02:28 AM
PSSST, Ray...
http://www.phrenicea.com/edsel.jpg

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 03:53 AM
PSSST, Ray...
http://www.phrenicea.com/edsel.jpg

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/images/lincoln_navigator_07.jpg

Some things never change...

ga_etc
01-11-11, 05:54 AM
I would rather have the Edsel, by far. At least it's interestingly ugly. The Navigator is just FUGLY. I think that designer had to be dropping acid that day or something.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-11, 08:58 AM
I don't find the Navigator to be that ugly. I however think that the Aztek was quite possibly the final nail in Pontiac's long awaited coffin. Not even a million G8 GXP's could undo the damage that the Aztek slayed on the brand.

Oh yeah, and the HHR ain't bad I guess. It's miles better than a PT Cruiser.

Stingroo
01-11-11, 09:35 AM
PT Cruiser is the worst sack of crap I've EVER driven or been in in my entire life. It's so cramped inside, it's ugly, and what in the holy hell is with having all 4 window switches up front? Are the rear passengers just automatically assumed to be too stupid to operate their own shit? Worst idea ever.

ThumperPup
01-12-11, 02:19 AM
PupFromCleveland

I guess mine was 2010 or 2009. About your mom's HHR, yeah, sometimes electrical problems are very hard to track and locate.... Is you mom happy with the car? How is the ride?

she drive it well to put it simple she is the type of driver who will have to replace her exsust system due to rust and no driving she uses it to go one block up to tempel and to the store a few times a week but thats it

it hink shes is happy with the fact it gets ok gas miles
but the real thing that sold her on wanting that specific car was the color it was the u56 sunburst orange and she loved it so she got it now if i had been there with her when she was pickign it out she would not have made the mistake jsut like when dad and her went shopping a few years back and she came home with a pt cruiser i couldnt belive dad let her do that but she had to have it because it was red lol

ThumperPup
01-12-11, 02:21 AM
i read an article a whyll back that GM hired away with a bigger salavry the same guy who enginered and desined the pt crusier and that is the guy who built and came up with the HHR
i might not be fully corect but if memoery is corect thats what i remmebr reading