: Replacing cabin air filter

Kenwood
01-09-11, 07:46 PM
Has anyone replaced their cabin air filter? I can see it, but it's not clear if the paper filter slides in and out by itself or if it is attached (glued?) to a plastic frame that slides in and out of the holder. Any experience with these?

Thanks,
Kenwood

Superjim
01-09-11, 11:58 PM
Has anyone replaced their cabin air filter? I can see it, but it's not clear if the paper filter slides in and out by itself or if it is attached (glued?) to a plastic frame that slides in and out of the holder. Any experience with these?

Thanks,
Kenwood

The paper filter and a flexible rubber frame are all made in one piece...
Open the little trap door by the windshield wiper and pull the old one out.
The new one is sometimes a little hard to get back in straight...especially if it is a cheap one that bends easy.

(don't ask how I know "THAT" fact) :) :) :)

Texas Jim

tedcmiller
01-10-11, 07:41 PM
The owner's manual gives the location and specific instructions on replacing the passenger compartment air filter.

Superjim
01-10-11, 08:19 PM
The owner's manual gives the location and specific instructions on replacing the passenger compartment air filter.

His SPECIFIC QUESTION was...."Any experience with these?"
Not how to read the manual...

And since I have changed mine a couple of times...
I gave him the benefit of my experience. :)

Just saying...

Jim

tedcmiller
01-11-11, 02:29 PM
My experience, Super????, was reading the owner's manual. So I guess I did the same thing.

Superjim
01-12-11, 02:54 PM
My experience, Super????, was reading the owner's manual.
So I guess I did the same thing.

Not really...
I have actually "CHANGED THEM"...
You read a book...

Not the same thing at all... and it is "YOU" that jumps on people about not staying "EXACTLY ON TOPIC".

You could read a book on brain surgery...but you wouldn't have any "EXPERIENCE" on "DOING" brain surgery...

He asked for someone with "EXPERIENCE" doing it.. I had that...you didn't.

Jim

tedcmiller
01-12-11, 09:58 PM
Super????,
I have changed the passenger comapartment air filter on a 2004 DTS. I have not kept any of my other Cadillacs with such an air filter long enough to warrant changing them. The original poster specified a 2009 DTS. Perhaps things have changed since 2004. I suggested he read the owner's manual because of that. You only have a 2006. Maybe it is the same as his 2009, or maybe not. Flame this post all you want. I don't intend to look at it again.

Superjim
01-12-11, 10:12 PM
Super????,
I have changed the passenger comapartment air filter on a 2004 DTS. I have not kept any of my other Cadillacs with such an air filter long enough to warrant changing them. The original poster specified a 2009 DTS. Perhaps things have changed since 2004. I suggested he read the owner's manual because of that. You only have a 2006. Maybe it is the same as his 2009, or maybe not. Flame this post all you want.
I don't intend to look at it again.

Maybe that is a good thing....

And... I Wasn't flaming at all.
And for your info..the 2006 and the 2009 are EXACTLY the same.
I have a friend with a 2009 and I changed it for him, while showing him how to do it himself.

I have also changed mine...that's how I know they are the same.

See...I actually "DO" have experience...with "BOTH" of them.

Oh...some more info for you...something is wrong with your keyboard.
Some of the letters are missing...
Maybe you need to change that too. :)

Jim

MikeWagner
01-22-11, 02:52 PM
I have an 07' Base model, and I've changed the air filter and the cabin filter. Very easy to do. The cabin filter is kind of an odd design, with part of it folded under and you just have to be careful sliding it into place. I got them at a NAPA parts store for a total of $35 for the pair. The dealer wanted almost $100.

07DTS12801
01-30-11, 02:50 PM
I have an 07' Base model, and I've changed the air filter and the cabin filter. Very easy to do. The cabin filter is kind of an odd design, with part of it folded under and you just have to be careful sliding it into place. I got them at a NAPA parts store for a total of $35 for the pair. The dealer wanted almost $100 There's 2?? How often do they get replaced?/Same as in my Vette,every 10-15k??

Superjim
01-30-11, 05:13 PM
There's 2?? How often do they get replaced?/Same as in my Vette,every 10-15k??

I think he was meaning the ENGINE air filter and the CABIN air filter.
There is a filter in the cowl... right under the passengers side windshield wiper, that filters air coming into the cabin area of the car.

Jim

07DTS12801
01-30-11, 06:02 PM
I think he was meaning the ENGINE air filter and the CABIN air filter.
There is a filter in the cowl... right under the passengers side windshield wiper, that filters air coming into the cabin area of the car.

Thanks.

hazcaddy
06-11-12, 08:55 PM
@Kenwood:

How did you make out changing the cabin air filter? Mine is due to be changed in less than 2,000 miles and I'm wondering if it is a DYI for the engineeringly-challenged or if it is like changing the filter on your furnace.

Superjim
06-12-12, 12:22 AM
Changing the cabin air filter is easy...

Kenwood
06-12-12, 05:05 PM
@Kenwood:

How did you make out changing the cabin air filter? Mine is due to be changed in less than 2,000 miles and I'm wondering if it is a DYI for the engineeringly-challenged or if it is like changing the filter on your furnace.

It's not quite as easy as changing a furnace filter, but it's close. It was very easy once I discovered that about 1/3 of it kind of folds down to form a lop-sided V or a check-mark. I had to wiggle it, push and shove it a little, but I got it in (get you minds out of the gutter gentlemen!).

I got my filters off of Amazon. They had a special, so I bought four and got free shipping - should last me until I'm ready to trade it in. They're the Fram brand and have the charcoal particulate stuff on them which makes them look like they're already dirty. I'll try to get some pictures and make a new How-To post here in a few days.

Cheers,

Kenwood

Dadillac
06-12-12, 09:42 PM
The cabin filter slides into a plastic frame. You can remove the entire plastic frame with the filter still in it. Once the frame is out you can change the filter much easier than trying to slide it into the frame while it is in the car,

Don

2003 sts & 2008 dts
12-22-12, 01:17 AM
i have a 2008 platium with 9 k on it ! do i have to replace it now ? is fram the best filter to get ? thanks mike

billdaman
12-22-12, 03:42 AM
The cabin filter slides into a plastic frame. You can remove the entire plastic frame with the filter still in it. Once the frame is out you can change the filter much easier than trying to slide it into the frame while it is in the car,

Don

Just be sure (This is very important) that you get the airflow arrows printed on the side of the filter pointed in the right direction if you decide to uses the filter replacements instead of replacing the entire unit. I inadvertently loaded my filter in backwards and ended up with dust in my vehicle and restricted air flow thru my HVAC system. Flipped the filter around in the plastic holder and problem solved

Andrew224
12-27-12, 05:16 AM
Here's the step by step DIY procedure for replacing the cabin air filter for 2006 -2012 DTSs.

Under the hood, just below the windshield on the passenger side.

Push the two clips back (very little pressure needed)

You can grab and pull the filter out or you can leave it in and remove it with the housing.

The housing is held in with one clip. Use a small common screwdriver to pop out the pin and then grab it with pliers to pull it free.

Wiggle the housing free and remove it.

Insert new air filter (ensure it is facing the correct direction (marked on the side of the filter). It is cut in a manner to facilitate proper installation.

Replace housing with new filter and line up mounting hole. Reinsert the pin to secure the housing in it's proper location.

Replace cover over the filter.

Superjim
12-27-12, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the pictures Andrew...
Taking the housing out may be a better way to do it.
Sometimes getting the filter in place PROPERLY is kinda hard to do.

Texas Jim

Andrew224
12-27-12, 04:28 PM
No problem. You'll actually save time by taking the housing out as you're able to get the filter seated properly much quicker and with less wrinkling of the filter.

Hope this helps someone out.

cadillac_guy21
12-29-12, 02:38 AM
Thanks just replaced mine today this really helped now I just need to change te engine filter bought a k &n one today

MoistCabbage
12-29-12, 07:37 PM
In general, reusable, oiled filters, flow more dirt than non oiled ones. Also, be careful not to over oil it when the time comes, your MAF sensor won't like that very much.

FWIW, the stock filter flows more air than the engine can use, at WOT, at redline. There's really no advantage to a high flow filter in these cars.

Tonyny
01-02-13, 11:33 AM
Anyone have a link to where I can get one for a 2003 DTS? Thanks

Eddie39
01-02-13, 09:13 PM
I buy mine from Advance Auto Parts and the carry several brands.

Cadillac Shawn
01-19-13, 08:19 PM

Don

I NOW HAVE EXPERIENCE DOING THIS!!! SO I HAVE EXPERIENCE!!! Trial buy error like on most of my car projects is how I fixed it and this time is was not one of those ''AAAAAAAAaaaaaah SH*T!!!! CRAP! NOW I GOTTA GO TO THE DEALER!!!'' moments... LOL

I agree with Don. The entire bracket pulls out. I pulled out the filter, well if you could call, ripping it out after having a hard time with it pulling it out, and once out, I saw the bracket was held in by one of those GM plastic rivet type holders. I used a screw driver to pry the head back out and the rivet removed very easily. Once out, the entire bracket comes out. Then it's really simple to put your filter in. Once in, all you have to do is fish the bracket down in, then use the plastic rivet to put it back into place firmly.

The plastic rivet is on the right side of it in the front. Simply line up the holes and put the rivet back in.

Now, to show my feminine side... I sprayed some nice cologne on my filter before putting it in, and the moment I turn on my heater in the car... aaaaah, nice smelling air blew into my cabin and I was wisked away into a land that Calgon could never take me. And Kari likes it! ;)
:kari2:

cadillac_guy21
01-20-13, 08:07 AM
lol,