: exhaust fumes in cabin

pizzajoe
01-09-11, 06:32 PM
2010 DTS - i noticed early on that the cabin had a strong odor of exhaust fumes. i tried turning off the A/C, etc but the odor remained. i did notice, however that this only occurs at slower speeds (street driving). on the freeways, the odor is not present.

it doesn't matter if i'm in a group of cars at a light or simply rolling down the street alone, the odor of exhaust is still present.

anybody with a similar problem or aware of this being an issue with the DTS?

Superjim
01-09-11, 11:04 PM
2010 DTS - i noticed early on that the cabin had a strong odor of exhaust fumes. i tried turning off the A/C, etc but the odor remained. i did notice, however that this only occurs at slower speeds (street driving). on the freeways, the odor is not present.

it doesn't matter if i'm in a group of cars at a light or simply rolling down the street alone, the odor of exhaust is still present.

anybody with a similar problem or aware of this being an issue with the DTS?

I have never before heard of this being a problem with anyone.
I have over 140,000 miles on two different 2006 DTS's and I have never smelled exhaust in the cabin...AT ANY SPEED...

I would be taking it to my dealer ASAP...that can be dangerous to you and anyone else in the car.

Texas Jim

Jesda
01-10-11, 02:42 AM
Be very careful. Fumes will kill you and a fuel leak will cause a fire.

TulsaVic
01-10-11, 12:31 PM
No odors with my 2008, unless I start it up in the garage and let it idle there.

Budda
11-04-13, 11:50 PM
Zombie thread I know...but I just took my new to me 08' DTS back to the dealer for this very problem. I will update when I get it back.

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-05-13, 02:59 PM
Zombie thread I know...but I just took my new to me 08' DTS back to the dealer for this very problem. I will update when I get it back.

Hello Budda,

I am sorry to hear that your DTS is experiencing this issue as well. Thank you for keeping us updated. If you would like any assistance working with the dealership, please feel free to private message me. I can also be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as “ATTN GREG” if you are unable to private message me. I will be looking for your future updates.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

SC2150
11-05-13, 04:09 PM
The EGR is right between the firewall and the engine so its possible you have a leak there, but first I have heard of this as well, and work on these all the time.

Stike
10-29-15, 09:52 AM
Hi. I doubt if anyone is still looking at this thread, but like Princess Leia, help me Obi-Wan. You're my only hope. Briefly, we purchased a 2009 DTS from Patrick Cadillac in Schaumburg, IL last December. This replaced my wife's 2006 DTS, which she loved. When we test drove it, she noticed an odor of gas and we mentioned it to the sales rep, but he assured us that the car had been gone over with a fine tooth comb and was in exceptional shape, which it was. 70k miles. We asked for the Carfax several times but he blew us off about it. Was a red flag, but since we needed to replace the 2006 which had been in a crash and this 2009 was beautiful, we took it.

So, after driving it a few days, we noticed the gas/exhaust fumes issue was worse. Called Patrick and to their credit, they took it in, worked on it for days, replaced the cowl gasket and I'm not sure what all else (I'd have to check) and it was kinda, sorta okay for a bit. Then same problem came back.

Took the car to our regular mechanic, who we've used for over 15 years. Great shop. They couldn't find anything, either. My sense of smell is really poor and I can smell it. Seems like exhaust fumes to me. Has that acrid sort of edge to it. Makes my wife sick to her stomach. But here's the thing....it's sporadic. Now you smell it. Now you don't.

We drove from our house in the western suburbs of Chicago into the city Monday and last night and on both trips of roughly 75 miles round trip, we had times of such bad fumes, we had to open the windows.

So, we've stumped two groups of mechanics and still have a car that's unpleasant to drive when you have to use the heater and especially the defroster at a minimum, and if it's truly exhaust fumes from the engine, potentially deadly to drive. Not a good idea.

Today, I'm going to take the carbon monoxide monitor from the house and put it in the car and see if we can get any reading off that. I doubt it's that sensitive, but if it does show an increase, then we have our smoking gun.

My wife loves her big old Detroit sedans, and since we're a tall group with the extended family running 6'5" and better, we like to have something that's really comfortable to drive. Had an ATS while Patrick had ours in the shop and it was great for front leg room, but our 5'6" daughter in law was even cramped in the back.

If anyone out there has any suggestions, it'd be wonderful to hear.

Matt Steichmann

Elgin, IL

wellswa
10-29-15, 11:04 AM
I get the same thing in my 07 DTS but only when I'm idling at a stop light. Anxious to hear what the fix would be.

grullon10
10-30-15, 11:11 AM
Those fumes come from the egr pipe at the connection to the erg valves housing it happened to an 06 dts that I had . the way that I fit it putting muffler sealant around it.

CadillacLuke24
10-31-15, 03:14 PM
I would say, like others have said, that the EGR is a potential culprit. Check for leaks there and fix if you find any.

I would also check the exhaust for leaks, maybe a donut gasket has gone bad.

wellswa
11-01-15, 06:23 PM
I get the same thing in my 07 DTS but only when I'm idling at a stop light. Anxious to hear what the fix would be.

I found my leak! It was indeed the flexible pipe that goes from the cylinder head to the EGR valve. The flange of the pipe where it mounts to the cylinder head was cracked. I unbolted the clamp and applied some RTV sealant around the flange then rebolted the clamp back to the head. Walah! no more fumes in the cabin.

Submariner409
11-01-15, 06:42 PM
You're fooling with HOT exhaust gases. The RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber) probably won't stand up to the heat for long.

wellswa
11-12-15, 03:49 PM
You're fooling with HOT exhaust gases. The RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber) probably won't stand up to the heat for long.

RTV is still holding up. It's been two weeks and still no fumes.The RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber) I believe that is just the curing statistics. I think it will hold up to higher temps than just room temperature. I've used it in other areas where heat was a factor.