: chick with a 63 deville

ravenshadow
09-25-04, 11:31 AM
o.k. bought a 63 coop deville,hadnt been started since 1983,started right up and drove from n.h. to providence.......love her,the only body damage is a crack that runs the front of her hood,alot of her fuses are blown,power window dont work,lights went yesterday,now suddenly she doesnt start,finished all the hoses and new battery..........thinking its the fuse bow,I can see wires at one point under the dash,but everthing is smooth and bolted down,one person said the fuse box is in the glove box,that doesnt look right to me,I cant find a book anywhere for a sixty three caddy that I can afford,before I start unbolting stuff, does anyone know where the box is located,and where to get the fuses?there arnt many junk yards around here which sucks,and why she might be suddenly not starting,no sound no nothing.......I know her starter is good and battery is new,she started getting stubborn a few weeks ago but would start with a boost of starting fluid,now though....capoot! help please! :rant2:

Stoneage_Caddy
09-25-04, 11:40 AM
starter doesnt even work ? seems some of these old cars have the box bolted tot he steering collum ...worse comes to worse Painless Wireing offers Harness kits for just about every car made

by the way welcome !!!!

ralphie will be by soon , some of us get exicted when we see lady caddys owners (me included esp vintage stuff)

Adam
09-25-04, 04:22 PM
seeing as it hasnt been started in twenty years it could be anything. the battery cables could be bad. im not sure though, im not there to see or hear it :hmm: could have water in the gas tank but that wouldnt cause it to not start. change the oil lately? could be a number of things.

Ralph
09-25-04, 06:25 PM
ralphie will be by soon

How could you possibly know this!!?? :rant2: Ya, you're right, it was inevitable. ;)

:welcome: Raven! I'm amazed it started right away and those are nice cars. There was a '62 for sale down my street this summer and I walked by it everyday. The things that I might be concerned about are the various gaskets drying up and leaking, etc. If it sat that long, and fluids aren't circulated they tend to get brittle. My Dad had this problem with his 442, and the waterpump gasket was gushing.

Could it be the starter solenoid? I had this problem on my 1970 Plymouth and another possibility could be the neutral safety switch located under the car. If it doesn't start in park, try it in neutral and if it does start it is the switch.

Now, be sure to post some pics of yousel.....er...um....I mean you Cadillac, ya thats it. :thumbsup: Or better one pic of you AND the Caddy. :)

majax
09-25-04, 09:38 PM
What was it stored in for those 21 years(I can't believe how long that is). If it was in a barn or someting maybe mice ate away at the wiring in places. Thats what happend to a friend of mines truck.

Welcome Raven :p

Barry Clark
09-25-04, 09:40 PM
Sitting is one of the worst things you can do to car. I would say that a great deal of your problems arise from sitting since '83.

scurling
09-26-04, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the site.

I'm afarid you will be getting more "O my gosh!" responses from amazed readers that can't believe the car actually started, than genuine helpful comments.

I have a '86 VW Vanagon Camper that lost an engine in 1990 and has sat covered in my driveway to this day (I'm hoping a tree will fall on her). I have started checking out various system to get her road worthy for sale, and I'm amazed at what has rusted, dried out, etc. I can't even turn the rear wheels due to the drums rusting tight against the break shoes. I'm sure the gas tank has water to some extent, so I'm not even going to attempt to start it until the tank and fuel system is flushed. And, yes, I must get the engine rebuilt or replaced at $2,500 for a crate engine from CA.

I'm surprised your Caddy would even roll on the tires after all that time sitting. You may have already started a process of rebuilding, but I would start from the bottom-up and thouroughly check it all. Replace anything rubber or gasket material that you can afford, because it will need it, if not now, very soon. As you have experienced, different problems are starting to show up on an irregular basis. That will continue at an increaded rate until all the seals, gaskets, fittings, etc. that have dried or rotted get replaced.

I just got rid of a 1973 Impala that was original in every way. I had to replace or repair almost every system on her to keep her running the 10 years I used her for daily to-work transportation. I knew the junk yards very well.

Vintage and classic cars are purchased from love and admiration, not because the car will be a reliable source of transportation. Good luck and stay in touch with us and the other forums for help.

Ralph
09-26-04, 06:57 PM
I'm afarid you will be getting more "O my gosh!" responses from amazed readers that can't believe the car actually started, than genuine helpful comments.

Was this statement necessary? It is obvious who it was directed to. You seemed to simply take my advice regarding gaskets and recycle it to your own words. I recommended two avenues of investigation so I think this was a rude statement. :tisk:

scurling
09-26-04, 09:15 PM
Ralph;

Whoa, hold on there. My comments were not directed at anyone's previous postings. I would have been very clear and made reference if that were the case. Sorry if I mislead you or others.

My main point in the posting, and obviously I didn't make it very clear, was the original question was so difficult to answer due to so many factors involved. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and thought my comments were less that adequate, based on the amount of information provided about the car.

I don't consider myself an expert in this forum, nor my comments any better than other members. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

Ralph
09-26-04, 09:48 PM
Ralph;

Whoa, hold on there. My comments were not directed at anyone's previous postings. I would have been very clear and made reference if that were the case. Sorry if I mislead you or others.

My main point in the posting, and obviously I didn't make it very clear, was the original question was so difficult to answer due to so many factors involved. I didn't mean to offend anyone, and thought my comments were less that adequate, based on the amount of information provided about the car.

I don't consider myself an expert in this forum, nor my comments any better than other members. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

Understood! Thanks for clarifying. I apologize also. Welcome to the finest automotive Forum on the planet!! :welcome:

Barry Clark
09-27-04, 07:18 PM
I let my '91 Brougham sit for only 3 months and the rear main seal dried out. :( Small leak.