: Google POIs and Destinations to OnStar

mm9351
01-09-11, 10:41 AM
Has anyone tried this?

I was on the google map site and searched for a destination; noticed at the top of the screen there is a send link. If you select Car, then Cadillac, then your OnStar user name, then submit ... destination is sent to your vehicle. This is Part 1.

Part 2: Once you enter your car, press the "call" button on the OnStar panel, say "virtual advisor" and the map / POI is loaded to your screen.

So far this has worked perfectly. I was planning a trip and from my desktop I loaded all the POIs I want to visit.

Best of all, you do not have to speak with anyone at OnStar, it is a completely automated process.

stevec5375
01-09-11, 11:22 AM
Has anyone tried this?

I was on the google map site and searched for a destination; noticed at the top of the screen there is a send link. If you select Car, then Cadillac, then your OnStar user name, then submit ... destination is sent to your vehicle. This is Part 1.

Part 2: Once you enter your car, press the "call" button on the OnStar panel, say "virtual advisor" and the map / POI is loaded to your screen.

So far this has worked perfectly. I was planning a trip and from my desktop I loaded all the POIs I want to visit.

Best of all, you do not have to speak with anyone at OnStar, it is a completely automated process.

Yes. It also works through MapQuest.com as well.

brs332
01-09-11, 01:28 PM
One nice thing about the MapQuest interface is that it lets you manage the 5 stored destinations OnStar keeps 'up there.' I don't see this capability in the Google interface.

Brian.

Edit: Also, this 'send to OnStar' appears to only be available on the desktop-browser web version of both Google and MapQuest services. Neither seems to presently support this capability on their iPhone apps or mobile web pages as seen from Mobile Safari. I have not checked other mobile platforms or browsers; YMMV.

TheCaptain
01-09-11, 09:30 PM
Bad news for me, Google will only send maps to three cars available in my pull down list: Rolls Royce, Mini, and BMW. :(