: Need to decide:05 w/Maggie or 07 with low miles

njdevilz1
01-09-11, 05:50 AM
I am having a hard time deciding what to do. I was hoping that some of you might offer their opinions and advice based off of their experiences.

I am looking at selling my 2007 Jeep srt8 and getting into a V.
I have it narrowed down to 2. They are extremley rare and hard to come by where I am from.

I am currently looking at a 2005 V with the following :
Maggie
kooks headers
corsa catback exhaust
Adjustable coil overs (was not told what brand)
Short throw B&M shifter
GForce anti wheel hop axles both sides
Diff cradle bushings
20" black DCR forged 3 piece wheels + original rims with winter tires
Clear fogs/tinted tails/blacked out grill /
STS-V emblems "Supercharged"
65,000 km's so .... I am guessing around 47,000 miles ish??

And a 2007 with:
10,000km .... ya thats correct 10k. So around 6000 miles.
Completley bone stock.
Warranty until June 2011.

Price for the 05 - $29,000 ( canadian)
Price for the 07 - $34,000

What I am going back and forth on is this... I obviously would love the 07 with next to no milage on it , but the cost would not allow me to do any mods for quite some time. I have been itching to get someting that has F/A (Maggie) but by the time I could afford to do so on the 07 , it would be time for me to move on and look at a 09 V in a year or two.

The 05 has supposively 20k in extras into. Has the Maggie already that I want. However it is hard for me to wrap my head around paying 30k for a car that is 6 years old already. That and I am a little creeped out about having possible issues buying a used car wiht a supercharger already installed. I am worried that the possibility of some expensive issues may come up with running with a Maggie. I do not want to inherit somebody elses problems.

SO more or less:
Pay more for a 2 year newer car wiht low miles... but would not be able to afford to do much as far as performance mods go :(

OR

Get a car with more miles/ 2 years older ... but has all the look good/ go fast goodies already on it........... but creeped out it may end up biting me in the arse

NOt sure wtf to do.:hmm:

06BlackonBlackCTSV
01-09-11, 06:20 AM
I would personally get the 05 with the maggie, just be sure to take it to a shop so a professional can look at it. You will not be able to tell the difference between the two in the interior. The 05 has the LS6 and the 06 has the LS2, but stock they have the same horsepower. The 05 already solved the dreaded wheel hop problem when he upgraded axles. Plus you get a maggie and a whole lot more power. Overall you will get a better performing car for less money. I think they are both a little overpriced. But if you can wait another year or so, save and get the 09 V, they are beast. All in all if you get one of the V1's, get the 05, way more bang for your buck.

njdevilz1
01-09-11, 06:48 AM
Just wondering about re-sale as well. Hard to know which one I will lose more money on.
I am thinking it may be harder to sell the 05 as ( like myself included) people may be scared off by having the supercharger already installed. May percieve that as it having the $%#$% driven out of it.

However , the original owner is already taking the biggest hit when it comes to losing money on all the $$$ he spent on mods. That is one positive for getting the 05... I would eventualy want to mod the 07 and would lose a good portion of that money spend on mods when I try to sell it.

WHen it comes ot the kind of money they are asking... it is hard ot justify spedning that kind of cash when I have seen C6 corvettes for sale on ebay for the same kind of money...
However , where I am from I could only drive a Vette for about 7 months of the year. I already have a Harley , so having another car that is useless for nearly 1/2 of the year is alot of money for me to have tied up sitting in the garage and not being able to drive them :(

I just love the looks of the V's , the "sleeper" factor , and the fact that they are pretty fun to drive / American made car.

rand49er
01-09-11, 06:53 AM
On one hand, you could have it all right now, but it may not be the financially responsible choice.

On the other hand, you could be reponsible, but not be completely satisfied for years to come maybe longer.

As blackonblack suggester, above, I think it comes down to the condition of the '05 and how well the mods have been installed and it's reliability. Depending on how willing you are to get your hands dirty, the '05 may or may not be the better choice. Many of the guys here who are familiar with the mods on the '05 would be more comfortable buying it because they'd know what to look for if something had issues. Many of those mods are what I have. Given my experience with those mods, would I be willing to tackle a car with them already installed? Yes, provided someone with a mechanic's background gave a second, unbiased, non-emotional positive opinion of it.

Are you in Ontario? Where?

rand49er
01-09-11, 06:59 AM
Just wondering about re-sale as well. Hard to know which one I will lose more money on.
I am thinking it may be harder to sell the 05 as ( like myself included) people may be scared off by having the supercharger already installed. May percieve that as it having the $%#$% driven out of it.

However , the original owner is already taking the biggest hit when it comes to losing money on all the $$$ he spent on mods. That is one positive for getting the 05... I would eventualy want to mod the 07 and would lose a good portion of that money spend on mods when I try to sell it.

WHen it comes ot the kind of money they are asking... it is hard ot justify spedning that kind of cash when I have seen C6 corvettes for sale on ebay for the same kind of money...
However , where I am from I could only drive a Vette for about 7 months of the year. I already have a Harley , so having another car that is useless for nearly 1/2 of the year is alot of money for me to have tied up sitting in the garage and not being able to drive them :(

I just love the looks of the V's , the "sleeper" factor , and the fact that they are pretty fun to drive / American made car.Yeah, I was going to bring that up.

Resale of the '05 is going to be tougher. This is apparent already where the '05's value basically excludes the mods, but also has limited the market to only those guys willing to take on a modded car. Somebody will end up buying it and get a great deal ... it'll just take a while for the owner to unload it. You'd be in the same boat when you went to sell it, but that'd be the case if you modded the '07, too. It's all the price you have to pay to mod a car. Keep it a long time, and the impact of modding it will be a lot less.

njdevilz1
01-09-11, 07:36 AM
I am from a small city about 2 hours south of Calgary Alberta.
Honestly , V's are very seldom seen around here. I know of 1 in our city (approx. 80,000 people)
I very rarely see any on the highway or even around Calgary for that matter.
Finding a used V that is in good shape is very hard to do. If they do come up for sale , they sell pretty quick and for quite more money than what I see posted on forums like this / Ebay / Bluebook value etc.

I created a Kijiji ad looking to buy a V or trade one for my Jeep srt8. That is how I came across the 05. A person contacted me and was looking to sell it and is giving me first crack at it before he lists it for sale.

The 07 has been for sale for about 4-5 months now. A dealership was originally asking $38,000 ....
The low milage on it and the fact that it is a 07 is what has me going back and forth between the 2.

I know though that I will no be content on keeping a V stock and I will get the mod itch in a hurry
With plans of trying to get into a V2 as soon as they get around $40k , I am not sure if it would be wise to sink cash into modding a 07. I do however need something to play around with though until a V2 is an option.

I guess it comes down to having the 05 inspected carefully and go from there. That or just slap a Vortech supercharger on my Jeep and call it a day lol

Twitch
01-09-11, 09:01 AM
As stated above, I would also be thinking about re-sale and buying an already modded car. That said, it sounds like you want the 05. Your looking for a car with passion so you may need to take a chance. You already have a plan to move on, so the miles shouldn't be much of an issue. But the extra money spent, especially if you end up modding the 07, might push back your plan to get a V2.

When I first got my then stock V, it was so much fun. I can only imagine what a Maggied V would have felt like. The HP builds quickly, but the 400lbs of torque is instant anytime you put your foot down.

Either way, good luck and enjoy.

Tony

Stepside
01-09-11, 08:40 PM
The '07 has a 100k warranty on powertrain & better resale & trade-in value.
The '05 has more 'go power' and no warranty & less resale & trade-in value.
Based on these two facts:
Buy neither . . . wait another year . . . watch oil prices . . don't get in debt yet.

njdevilz1
01-09-11, 10:07 PM
The '07 has a 100k warranty on powertrain & better resale & trade-in value.
The '05 has more 'go power' and no warranty & less resale & trade-in value.
Based on these two facts:
Buy neither . . . wait another year . . . watch oil prices . . don't get in debt yet.

But... that would be the smart and responsible thing to do :) aka --- boring lol. You only live once!!

I agree that it may not be the wisest thing to do. However , if it does not put me into debt or stretch me too thin finacialy, and it is something people enjoy as a hobby.. my outlook on it is " Why not?"
I used to think along the same lines as you and plan for the future , save for a rainy day , be prepared etc. That was before my unlce passed away earlier this year. He was 50 years old and passed away rather quickly. I am pretty sure when he was on his deathbed thinking about his life , he was not thinking ot himslef " Gee , looking back , I am so glad that I stashed away that extra money in RRSP's now. Dammn that was fun I will never forget that"

I know I am being over dramatic with the example but it made me think that there is more to life than just working for a living.

trhs75
01-09-11, 11:38 PM
I vote for the 07 for reliability, warranty, and resale. I probably wouldn't have risked buying a modded car, but that's just me.(I'm an 05 owner, so I'm not biased against the 04's and 05's!) It's not like these cars are exactly slow. If you do some mods later, save your stock parts and consider putting them back on when you sell it!

I know you'll be happy with either car!

WakikiVee
01-10-11, 04:32 AM
You said it yourself, when an 09 comes available in your price range, you're gonna want to get it. That being said, this car is only going to be a temporary driver and you're gonna want to get the one that is going to be the easiest to sell at the most value. That is the 07 with the super low miles.

njdevilz1
01-10-11, 06:21 AM
Good point.07 makes the most sense but I believe I have an illness or disorder where I cannot leave a stock vehicle alone. I want it to be a little different than everyone else's and someting that makes it more unique and adds some character ( making it fast as sh!t is also alot of the fun). Even if it is only a year-two unil I can afford a V2 ... I think I may go nucking futts just leaving the 07 stock , while any mods I would do is just putting me further away from a V2.

I wish I knew how to attach photos so I can show some of the 05

More or less the 05 is perfectly the way i wanted to mod my V once I got one.
Re-reading what I have posted so far after the original post , it apprears that I am talkign myself into the 05 , right choice or not.

njdevilz1
01-10-11, 06:31 AM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk178/ksteinz34/P1000917.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk178/ksteinz34/P1000914.jpg

Not the clearest of pictures but exactly how I wanted to murder out a V , that and has the Maggie/Kooks/coilovers/catback/axels/bushings/shifter/ OEM rims + the ones pictured

Twitch
01-10-11, 08:27 AM
it apprears that I am talkign myself into the 05 , right choice or not.
I told you that a few posts up :thepan: lol

If it makes you feel any better, that 05 looks great. And it seems like the owner put quality money into some quality parts. Twenty buck says those mods were influenced by this forum.

Everything your saying makes me think if you get the 07, you'll be thinking "what if". :helpless:
You know what you have to do,,,,,,enjoy

06BlackonBlackCTSV
01-10-11, 08:46 AM
This is one of the nicest V's Ive seen. If something happened to my V right now, I would be all over that one. LOL
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk178/ksteinz34/P1000917.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk178/ksteinz34/P1000914.jpg

Not the clearest of pictures but exactly how I wanted to murder out a V , that and has the Maggie/Kooks/coilovers/catback/axels/bushings/shifter/ OEM rims + the ones pictured

WesH8398
01-10-11, 03:28 PM
What I get out of everything you've posted here so far is that you really don't even want a V1, you want a V2. If you're going to get an 09 as soon as they're in your price range, it seems to me that going through all the costs and hassles of getting into a V1 right now is a bit counter productive. Don't sink all that $$ into a V1 and then you'll be that much closer to the v2 that you REALLY want. Hell, you're already driving a beast in that SRT-8 Jeep. If that cash is burnin' a hole in your pocket, and you've got more extra money than you have patience, then play with the Jeep until you're ready to get your V2. I can tell you right now - for SURE - if you trade the Jeep for a V1, it wont take you long to start missing that Jeep's stellar interior. In that respect the V1 doesn't even begin to compare, IMO.

06BlackonBlackCTSV
01-10-11, 05:02 PM
What I get out of everything you've posted here so far is that you really don't even want a V1, you want a V2. If you're going to get an 09 as soon as they're in your price range, it seems to me that going through all the costs and hassles of getting into a V1 right now is a bit counter productive. Don't sink all that $$ into a V1 and then you'll be that much closer to the v2 that you REALLY want. Hell, you're already driving a beast in that SRT-8 Jeep. If that cash is burnin' a hole in your pocket, and you've got more extra money than you have patience, then play with the Jeep until you're ready to get your V2. I can tell you right now - for SURE - if you trade the Jeep for a V1, it wont take you long to start missing that Jeep's stellar interior. In that respect the V1 doesn't even begin to compare, IMO.

I agree with this 100%.

trhs75
01-10-11, 10:44 PM
That is NICE....