: 96 Brougham starting issues?

GreenWood
01-08-11, 09:43 PM
Need help fixing a starting issue I have with the 96 Fleetwood Brougham. The car takes forever to start but when it does it runs good. It does sound like a lite miss is going on but I suspect the injectors. I took the car to NTB today and them do a injector service cleaning but the problem still exist. Is there a relay or something that could be bad? where is it located? any other thoughts?
Thanks

sven914
01-09-11, 12:53 AM
It sounds like your crankshaft positioning sensor might be bad.

Basically, when functioning correctly, the crank sensor tells the computer that the crankshaft is turning, which makes the computer engage the spark coil, which allows the engine to fire. When the Crank Sensor is not functioning, the computer never sees the signal, and therefore never knows when to give you spark. As a backup to the Crank Sensor, if the computer doesn't receive a crank signal, it will monitor the oil pressure, and give the engine spark once the engine builds oil pressure. It can take a while for the engine to build enough pressure, so the first thing you will notice is an extremely long cranking period, before the engine will fire.