: Need recommendations: Wheel balancing and PDR near Baltimore

mstrjon32
01-08-11, 09:05 PM
So I'm hesitant to complain about their service since they're well respected around here...but I took my car to Lindsay to get the missing tire pressure sensors installed and an alignment done and left $590 lighter and with a set of badly out-of-balance wheels. I reached about 50 mph and the V was vibrating badly, and not in the mood to turn around and sit in traffic on 395 again, I just drove it home and rebalanced the wheels myself. One was 1.5 off, and it was clear that the weights that had been on there from the previous balance hadn't been removed before they added more. I don't know...maybe someone was in a hurry to get home for the day...I still don't understand how you put it on the machine (it was clear they had) and leave it in that condition. It wasn't a complete loss though, I did talk to Luke and who gave me a good price on the spare tire hardware and on the center caps for the wheels.

Anyway, I rebalanced the tires, but the machine I have access to only allows me to do an inside-edge balance. It can't be set up for stick-ons on the outside-edge. So they're balanced to the inside edge, but I still do feel a tiny bit of vibration right at 60-70 (where, obviously, I spent most of my time driving). Now, I could just take the car back to Firestone who installed the tires in the first place, and did a pretty perfect balance in the process--but if anyone has any really good recommendations for shops with the Hunter road force balancer it would be nice to get a "perfect" balance.

Also, lucky me, some jerk put a door ding in my driver side door last night. If any one knows of a good PDR shop/guy nearby, let me know!

mstrjon32
01-09-11, 03:44 PM
So I took the car to Mr. Tire today on Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie. Had them do a Road Force balance, and then ran it up to speed on the highway and it feels great. I always have to take a deep breath before letting someone touch my wheels, but they came out without damage.

Also, he quoted me $65 for the balance, but I suppose the road force balance is more ($99?) but honored his original quote anyway, which I appreciated.

Zo6PwRd
01-10-11, 12:27 AM
Hmm i wwanna road balance mine i will have to check into it.

tommy compton
01-10-11, 08:35 AM
Road force is the shizznit. Road force would be more if they end up rotating your tires low spot to your rims high spot. When I had aftermarket rims on another car HRF was the only way I could get them balanced.
I had a rim replacced at a dealership once the vibration ws horrible it was off by over 7oz, it was like they just stuck the weights wherever they wanted, so I feel your pain.

odla
01-11-11, 11:31 AM
we have a road force machine here that i get mine balanced on. Works great. Sometimes though i get bad tires from tire rack that i need to send back. makes it easy when you tell them right off the bat that they were road forced.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
01-13-11, 09:19 AM
So I'm hesitant to complain about their service since they're well respected around here...but I took my car to Lindsay to get the missing tire pressure sensors installed and an alignment done and left $590 lighter and with a set of badly out-of-balance wheels. I reached about 50 mph and the V was vibrating badly, and not in the mood to turn around and sit in traffic on 395 again, I just drove it home and rebalanced the wheels myself. One was 1.5 off, and it was clear that the weights that had been on there from the previous balance hadn't been removed before they added more. I don't know...maybe someone was in a hurry to get home for the day...I still don't understand how you put it on the machine (it was clear they had) and leave it in that condition. It wasn't a complete loss though, I did talk to Luke and who gave me a good price on the spare tire hardware and on the center caps for the wheels.

Anyway, I rebalanced the tires, but the machine I have access to only allows me to do an inside-edge balance. It can't be set up for stick-ons on the outside-edge. So they're balanced to the inside edge, but I still do feel a tiny bit of vibration right at 60-70 (where, obviously, I spent most of my time driving). Now, I could just take the car back to Firestone who installed the tires in the first place, and did a pretty perfect balance in the process--but if anyone has any really good recommendations for shops with the Hunter road force balancer it would be nice to get a "perfect" balance.

Also, lucky me, some jerk put a door ding in my driver side door last night. If any one knows of a good PDR shop/guy nearby, let me know!

sent you a PM, call me

Chris0nllyn
01-13-11, 01:49 PM
I definately need a balance of some sort on my car. At 80+ it shakes and it just gets worse.

pplummer
01-15-11, 07:49 AM
Tires can make all the difference in the world and a nightmare for a shop to balance. Road Force balancing is awesome, but not always necessary. If you have the money and access to one and need a balance, get it done. If you are running run flats, they are a pain to balance, and suck completely.