: 07 diagnostic check / pull codes

cheech
01-08-11, 05:52 PM
Can a diagnostic check and codes be pulled through the instrument cluster on an 07 DTS or do you need a scan tool?

Superjim
01-08-11, 08:23 PM
Can a diagnostic check and codes be pulled through the instrument cluster on an 07 DTS or do you need a scan tool?

Sorry to tell you this...you will have to have a scan tool.
Places like Auto Zone can pull engine codes ... but not codes on other modules.

If you decide to buy a scan tool... read the specs carefully.
Most of them only pull engine codes...unless you get into the more high end ones.

Texas Jim

cheech
01-08-11, 08:48 PM
Thank you Jim. I don't need one yet but might in the future. Any one see or have any experience with the CARMD scanner that works in every vehicle after 96. Gets updates through your computer plus you also TBI's.

tedcmiller
01-09-11, 03:24 PM
If you buy a tool, be sure that it can communicate with the CAN interface. If it can't, it will not work with newer cars (at least GM 2008, but cars older than that might be included). By the way, Superjim, is correct (Super?????). You can't get anything through the instrument panel now days (GM stopped that many years ago). You will need a tool. My 1995 Eldo would do the instrument panel thing, but my 2004 CTS-V would not.

cheech
01-09-11, 03:40 PM
If you buy a tool, be sure that it can communicate with the CAN interface. If it can't, it will not work with newer cars (at least GM 2008, but cars older than that might be included). By the way, Superjim, is correct (Super?????). You can't get anything through the instrument panel now days (GM stopped that many years ago). You will need a tool. My 1995 Eldo would do the instrument panel thing, but my 2004 CTS-V would not.

Thanks. One other Question; has anyone heard of or have any input and or experience with the CARMD code reader with computer interface??

DriverPI
01-11-11, 07:45 PM
Got a CarMD for christmas from family. watched the video online later about it, and i liked it.

So I decided to give it a try on my Son's car.

Pretty simple to use, and the report it came it out with was pretty detailed.
I kept the fix/cause and cost all in mind when i brought his car into the shop.

The price that CarMD quoted? about 10 dollars off and the problem.. was exactly what caused the Check Engine Light to turn on.

cheech
01-15-11, 07:04 PM
DriverPI, Thank you for your input on the CARMD.