: using resistor to fool computer

stoveguyy
01-07-11, 01:08 PM
96sts. put in resistor on 1 front shock. no more codes. is shock default to soft or firm or what now? will i notice a difference in ride on rough roads from left/right side of car? i don't see any difference. should i put a resistor on both sides to make struts react the same?

Submariner409
01-07-11, 01:54 PM
Your STS has active suspension control for the front struts and rear shocks. If you defeat one side you MUST do the other. Default is soft - there's no longer any valve restriction control so the fluid flow is wide open. The front end will now handle like an SLS, not an STS, and the struts will NOT "react": they're now passive.

stoveguyy
01-08-11, 11:41 AM
yes, sub i know shock is passive. so 1 shock is soft and 3 are firm at speed? define firm after 125k miles/15yrs? new struts would be great but $2k is pretty steep for a slight improvement in handling. has anyone on this board ever changed all 4 struts with OEM stuff on a 95-97 vintage car?

Submariner409
01-11-11, 04:04 PM
yes, sub i know shock is passive. so 1 shock is soft and 3 are firm at speed?
(1 strut/shock is passive and 3 are controlled at speed. Depending on road conditions the changes from soft to firm are constant and infinite.)

define firm after 125k miles/15yrs? (That's anybody's guess)

new struts would be great but $2k is pretty steep for a slight improvement in handling. has anyone on this board ever changed all 4 struts with OEM stuff on a 95-97 vintage car? (Unknown, but that is the ONLY way to retain the original handling control as designed.)

cl8525
01-19-11, 03:35 PM
What type of resisters were used. I need to do the same on a 99 sts. Can you post a pic of the resisters and how you installed them also a part #

Submariner409
01-19-11, 05:15 PM
The resistors are 1/2 Watt carbon types - $1 a 5-pack at Radio Shack. Look for JimD's posts on the subject. You simply jumper the connector with a resistor. 4.5 KOhm, I think. Insulate and waterproof well.