: Looking to buy V - rear end whine

playedout
01-07-11, 11:00 AM
I'm looking to buy my first V and have driven a few with one standing out so far in terms of drive feel, condition, maintenance, and price. I've been reading through all the threads about potential issues with V's and this car seems to check out in all but one - rear end (differential?) whine. While test driving, I got what seemed to be the standard whining I've read about while accelerating and decelerating between 40 and 55 mph. It wasn't incredibly loud but sounded a bit like a turbo charger - only coming from the back. I know this is common on these cars and a likely indication of a differential needing replacement but I've also read several threads by owners who have gone through several differential replacements with no improvement in whining and in some cases, even louder whining than with their original parts. Sounds like some people just keep driving and deal with the whine. The car I'm looking at did have the differential casing replaced under warranty about 20k miles ago. My main question is how necessary is the replacement when the only symptom seems to be some relatively light whining? No noticeable clunks, etc. Will driving lead to a more significant failure down the line? This car will be a daily driver so I'm most concerned with reliability here. If this is a major red flag and the unit needs immediate replacement, that would be good info to know.

Thanks for the help!

CadzillaTN
01-07-11, 11:15 AM
My V is a daily driver.. I've had 5 diffs. Not once have I ever been concerned with diff failure other than with the original. Some say they have no whine but I would argue that they all hum or whine (or howl lol).

What version diff does this current selection have?..

playedout
01-07-11, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Cadzilla - that's reassuring. The car is a 2005 and the only record of diff. work is the casing replacement in late 2008. Could they have done a 3rd or 4th gen casing on a 1st gen core? Unfortunately I don't have the part number to confirm which generation. Would it be odd to just do the casing rather than the whole unit?

CancerJCC
01-07-11, 11:53 AM
Thanks, Cadzilla - that's reassuring. The car is a 2005 and the only record of diff. work is the casing replacement in late 2008. Could they have done a 3rd or 4th gen casing on a 1st gen core? Unfortunately I don't have the part number to confirm which generation. Would it be odd to just do the casing rather than the whole unit?

When they replace the differential they replace the whole thing. Also when they replace the differential they would have done so with the latest part #. I would say your speculation about 3rd or 4th is correct but the only way to find out is to get up in there and look. (By look I mean camera and flashlight and 30+ pictures to make out the first few digits on the top of the diff). Search around and you will see the threads. G/L

Castro
01-07-11, 12:09 PM
Late 2008 replacement (under warranty) would indicate you have the latest version (25xxxxxxx series). Mine is the same, 05 with late 08 diff replacement and it's loud. From what I've heard from multiple accounts the 4th gen that we have (well that you most likely have) is not likely to ever explode but they are loud even brand new out of the box in some cases. The 3rd gen may be quieter. Mine is loud and I don't like it but $1600 + labor for one that may be almost as bad is too much. Amsoil heavier gear oil did not help at all for me, and if I ever get the scratch I'd consider the very expensive gforce 9" conversion someday. SW cradle bushings make it worse btw. If you can live with it then you're fine.

rand49er
01-07-11, 02:38 PM
I have heard before of a dealer taking the guts of one and putting them in a new housing. The housing is what matters most and it's the part that was weakest with the Gen I and Gen II diffs.

Mine whines. I've learned to live with it.

PISNUOFF
01-07-11, 02:56 PM
I have the latest version from the factory in my '07. It has always whined and has never broken. I am not easy on my car either, I've twisted an axle off inside there without the diff breaking.

playedout
01-07-11, 03:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. This forum is such a great resource. Definitely some really good info here and it's all making me feel much better about the car which otherwise seems really solid. I'll double check on the part number to confirm which generation was installed. Then I guess it's time to make an offer and open up some room in the driveway...

Houdini
01-08-11, 12:23 AM
My 4th gen rear has over 10k miles on it now and it is still whisper quiet. This is the 3rd diff in the car.

Slithering_Joe
01-08-11, 12:31 PM
I have the latest version and once it heats up from driving it will whine in the range of 24-27mph and in the range of 44-47mph. It's so consistent that once I hear it I know exactly how fast I am going. All other speeds it is quiet. Since it has been pretty cold around here, it's been quiet at every speed.