: Just Bought Another 307 Car! (pics)

brougham_geezer
01-07-11, 10:11 AM
... although it's not a Brougham!

In case any of you guys are interested in this unique piece of GM history from an era we all seem to enjoy: I just landed a 1981 Oldsmobile Holiday 88 coupe. This is another "driver" and looks a bit mean & nasty to say the least.

This car was owned by the 85-year-old woman who lived next to our local community hall for the past ten years. I had always recognized it as another old GM boat, but it was sort rough looking, so I never gave it a second look. Last summer I saw the lady leaving the parking lot of the post office in town, and noticed that she was putting the car in drive by reaching to the floor instead of the column. I knew that could only mean one thing: this was a rare Holiday 88!

I dropped by the woman's place to document the car as I had never seen one in person before. Olds built these full-size "sport" coupes as an option added to the base Delta 88 between '78 and '81. It included sport mirrors, bucket seats, a sport steering wheel, console with floor shift, "Holiday 88" badging and this one even has an aluminum hood. Pontiac was the only other GM brand to offer these options in a full-size at that time. (We had a two-tone green '81 Parisienne with buckets, console, gauge pack, astroroof as well).

Recently, the woman called me at work. She said she remembered me from the summer, needed money and wanted to sell. I bought it Monday night for $500.00, fully safety inspected and drove it home. The woman had misplaced the title, so I drove her to the DMV on Wed. evening, and got it put in my name. She's a nice lady and we enjoyed the little road trip!

The car has 194,000 km on it, and I am the fourth owner. Bought new by a never-married school teacher, then sold to a gentleman who owned it a couple years before selling to his sister (the seller), due to alzheimers in 2000.

I plan it to be a work-in-progress summer driver that I will freshen up. It drives wonderfully and (although it doesn't look it), has been well maintained and is solid underneath. First things will be to fix the radio antenna, pinstripe the car with a light-blue accent, install my 15x7 Olds Rallies & whitewalls (painted blue with correct bigger centercaps & rings) off my now sold '83 Delta. I would like to find and install the factory gauge package.

Specs:

One of 1637 Holidays built in '81, and 533 shipped to Canada
AM/FM Eighttrack
Power windows
Rear stabilizer bar
No A/C
No Power locks or seats
Aluminum hood
Sport mirrors & steering wheel
Buckets & Console w/shifter (broken handle in glovebox, as well as hood ornament)
Colour = "Dark Blue Metalic" (suprising) :thepan:

Since it's from next to our community hall, I call it the "Halliday" 88. I'll probably name it Lida after the lady I bought it from. Check the set of flickr for all the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28706630@N06/sets/72157625640095301/with/5331489457/

Stingroo
01-07-11, 10:17 AM
Funny, one of these just came up for discussion on the wagon forum. Sweet car - would really have benefitted from an Olds 350 though. Damn 1980s with your shenanigans....

outsider
01-07-11, 10:22 AM
looks like it's in pretty good shape for an 81! as sting said, 350 would be sweet in it. nice buy and thanks for sharing :D

Stingroo
01-07-11, 10:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140493650573

There's the one found on the wagon forum. It's awesome.

Bro-Ham
01-07-11, 11:41 AM
That is the height of coolness! :) What a rare and unique car! :) The console top looks similar to other GM cars, both rear drive and front drive, like Ciera, Century, 6000, Regal, Supreme - if you want a replacement I would think you should be able to find one. Even if the car has some battle scars it is still super neat, don't be afraid to drive it as it is with a little fixing, I sure would - again, nice car! :) :) :) :) :)

outsider
01-07-11, 11:43 AM
looking at the interior pics again...man that column looks naked with no shifter :D

brougham_geezer
01-07-11, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys! I figured you'd at least find it interesting. That one on ebay right now is quite something, eh? In 1980, they were available with an Olds 350, but that engine had disappeared from the Olds lineup by 1981.

bicentennialcadillac
01-07-11, 01:48 PM
Great buy - I love it.

Cadillacboy
01-07-11, 02:15 PM
Nice deal , you're used to driving those cool rides as well

sven914
01-07-11, 05:02 PM
It's strange that they only offered the Holiday with the LV2. You would have thought that all of the classic sport packages would have had a resurgence in '83 when Olds came out with the LG8. But then again, they did have the Hurst/Olds and the Cutlass 442, so maybe the Holiday wasn't sporty enough.

Bro-Ham
01-08-11, 09:21 AM
Sven, what is LV2 and LG8? :)

sven914
01-08-11, 11:06 AM
LV2=RPO for a standard VIN Y 307 (low output)

LG8=RPO for the optional VIN 9 307 (high output)

cadillac kevin
01-08-11, 01:35 PM
what a cool and very rare car. I do find it odd that they would go through the trouble to make an aluminum hood for a delta though. the car weighs a lot, and with the base motor (150 hp 307?) its not going to go very quick, even with 50 to 70 lbs or thereabouts shaved off the car. Although a properly tuned up base 307 is another story entirely, even for a large car.