: A smart investment by GM or another gimmicky option that won't take off?

drewsdeville
01-07-11, 10:25 AM
http://www.dailytech.com/GM+Invests+5M+in+Powermat/article20587.htm

We had that thread a while back asking if GM dumps lots of gimmicky options into their cars like rainsense wipers or if such options are actually desirable.

What do you think? Is this worth the $5 mil or will it immediately fade?

Jesda
01-07-11, 01:49 PM
No more 12v connectors and wires all over the place? That's pretty awesome. Would be pretty neat if there was an attachment to charge the iPod with a Powermat.

Aron9000
01-07-11, 03:44 PM
That's actually really cool, provided it works. I hate having cords running everywhere cluttering up the interior.

I'm all about tech and computers in cars if they are actually intuitive to use and serve a function. Backup sensors on a Mini Cooper, wtf? Same thing with most in dash navigation, the $100 tom-tom does a better job.

ga_etc
01-07-11, 06:19 PM
What they don't tell you is that you can't just lay the device down on there and it automatically start charging. You have to have an adapter plug that goes into the charger port on the device. Still a pretty cool feature, just like the RainSense wipers.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-07-11, 08:06 PM
Given the increase in sales and demand of portable electronics of all sorts in automobiles today, I think this is a great idea and a very sound investment on GM's part.

Rusty058
01-07-11, 08:54 PM
Given the increase in sales and demand of portable electronics of all sorts in automobiles today, I think this is a great idea and a very sound investment on GM's part.

EXACTLY! Never understood the value of the heated washer fluid option,in fact I had it disconnected before I ever got to use it,LMAO!(bought my DTS this past March)

V-Eight
01-07-11, 09:12 PM
^ Then you must have a very mild climate!

I think its a great feature, with the amount of portable devices people have today I'm sure this will do well.

Stingroo
01-07-11, 10:29 PM
Now we wait for native support for it.

But I bet they'll never allow it - after all, not having native support is another way to sell more stuff. I'd probably never use it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-07-11, 10:53 PM
I thought the heated washer fluid feature was great up here in cold, snowy MN. It made moving frozen, icy Chevrolets SO MUCH easier instead of having to warm them up, defrost them and then scrape their windshields.

thebigjimsho
01-09-11, 06:08 PM
That's actually really cool, provided it works. I hate having cords running everywhere cluttering up the interior.

I'm all about tech and computers in cars if they are actually intuitive to use and serve a function. Backup sensors on a Mini Cooper, wtf? Same thing with most in dash navigation, the $100 tom-tom does a better job.
Some in-car navigation systems are awful. But many are excellent. And if it's built-in, you have the compass and vehicle speedo keeping you on track in a bustling cityscape or long tunnel. Around here, that's huge...

Playdrv4me
01-09-11, 06:34 PM
I agree, vehicle navigation systems have come A LONG way from where they used to be.

However, leave it to GM to invest in a technology that has had less than a lukewarm reception in the technology industry. Like Austin said, in order for this to work, you have to attach a big, ugly slide on attachment, or a wart that sticks out the back of your device. These attachments are anywhere from 30-50.00 for EACH device you want to attach, and they ruin the portability of most of them. This is why they're on clearance at Best Buys all over the country.

Aron9000
01-09-11, 06:50 PM
I agree, vehicle navigation systems have come A LONG way from where they used to be.

However, leave it to GM to invest in a technology that has had less than a lukewarm reception in the technology industry. Like Austin said, in order for this to work, you have to attach a big, ugly slide on attachment, or a wart that sticks out the back of your device. These attachments are anywhere from 30-50.00 for EACH device you want to attach, and they ruin the portability of most of them. This is why they're on clearance at Best Buys all over the country.

Never mind then, this is just gimmicky. I thought you just set your phone down on the pad and it charged.

ThumperPup
01-10-11, 12:53 AM
amm i missing something but thats in the armest so where does your arm go when something is charging
also not seeing anyting thats keeping your charging item from falling sliding or moving around i think its a dude of a idea i mean dud

RippyPartsDept
01-10-11, 01:02 AM
i used a mophie juicepack air (http://www.mophie.com/) for a little over a year (until i broke the usb connector - now i use a similar one from energizer (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2607432863273560067#)that i got super cheap) and if powermat has a similar battery extender that can charge without wires in the car for apple devices (and others too) then i think it would work, maybe even just as a case (but i like the battery extenders)

RippyPartsDept
01-10-11, 02:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdA0j5FNIEg&t=16m30s

powermat interview from the CES show floor (starts at about 16m 34s)

Playdrv4me
01-10-11, 05:52 PM
Hmm, I just finished watching TWiT's coverage from CES on iPad Today, This Week in Tech, and Tech News Today but I missed this one. Overall it seems it was a pretty lame CES this year.

RippyPartsDept
01-10-11, 06:16 PM
the TWiT Specials feed has about 5 videos from CES this was one... also the Showstoppers event, and the Digital Experience event, and Leo rides the EN-V (GM's urban electric vehicle, kind of like a segway), and his interview with Ford's CEO... maybe another one too

CES is almost always lame, but there's always a few 'diamonds in the rough' to be found

Playdrv4me
01-11-11, 02:01 AM
The Samsung LCD with the almost non-existent bezel was pretty damn cool, as were almost all of the phone and tablet introductions from Motorola. Overall, I'd have to say this was Motorola's show to steal this year. TV makers still tried to make it about 3D and failed yet again, although Toshiba's "no glasses" LCD was hiding a slick 4K panel behind its inner workings. Unfortunately, tomorrow's Verizon/iPhone event will pretty much overshadow everything that just happened in the last week.

RippyPartsDept
01-11-11, 01:09 PM
the almost no bezel look on these new TVs is kind of disturbing to me... maybe it's one of those things you have to get used to