: 300 miles round trip to Grandma's Funeral

turbojimmy
01-06-11, 09:54 PM
My brother, sister and I drove 300-miles in the limo in the past 36 hours to attend my grandmother's funeral. All my work on the car over the past couple of months really paid off. The car ran great and everyone (my extended family) loved it.

There was some concern from my mom (it was her mom who had passed) over the car's history as a funeral limo and perceptions of the skulls that adorn the middle doors. Ultimately it was decided that I would transport my mom, dad, brother and sister from the place we were staying to the funeral home. It was weird because the car was once again serving its purpose: my dad and sis sat in the back comforting my mom as we slowly made our way to the funeral home.

Okay, in reality my mom and sis were fighting over something and my dad was trying to pretend nothing was going on. But still, it was a nice ride and the car fit in perfectly (I parked it by the funeral home's garages). Everyone told me that it looked nicer than the funeral home's Deville (I think it does, too). The funeral director was impressed and lamented that they don't make anything as big as the Fleetwood anymore.

I gave several rides to cousins and family. The car really brightened an otherwise somber event.

The service was really nice. My grandfather (who passed away this time last year) was a big Caddy fan. His '79 Fleetwood is still on their property (it's a basket case though). He'd have been proud to see the big Fleetwood there.

Afterward my bro, sis and I piled back into the limo and hit the road. I can't imagine a nicer way to travel. Even though I was driving, I was comfortable and didn't feel fatigued at all. The power from the LT1 is great, even with the weight of the limo. Next time I'm going to have my brother drive.

I resisted the urge to take a picture of the 'Wood next to the Deville hearse. I think this was a good move on my part.

I really love this car, despite its performance in the snow :-p

77CDV
01-07-11, 01:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing. Glad your trip was mechanically uneventful.

gornati
01-07-11, 07:36 AM
post a pics of your car... my condolences about grannie

outsider
01-07-11, 09:08 AM
yeah sorry to hear about your grandmother. on the bright side, glad the limo was a hit. and you're right, these LT1 engines are awesome.

Cadillacboy
01-07-11, 03:12 PM
My condolences about your grandma ,good thing is you had a nice trip

Cadillac Giovanni
01-09-11, 03:12 AM
My car has done funeral service twice. Short trips, though, nothing like that. I know the funeral directors seem to want to put the nicest cars up front near the hearse, and when I pulled in with my Brougham, they descended upon me like vultures, all asking what year it was and all that. Apparently they miss the "good ol' days" of Cadillac as much as I do. I ended up riding third in line after my mom's Cadillac.

My grandpa would have liked it, though. He was the one who instilled me with the love of Cadillacs.

The-Dullahan
01-09-11, 05:30 PM
My Condolences about your Grandmother. Losing a loved one is never easy. I am glad to hear that the Limousine made it without any mechanical anomalies. The Lt1 deserves more credit, methinks.

My car has done funeral service twice. Short trips, though, nothing like that. I know the funeral directors seem to want to put the nicest cars up front near the hearse, and when I pulled in with my Brougham, they descended upon me like vultures, all asking what year it was and all that. Apparently they miss the "good ol' days" of Cadillac as much as I do. I ended up riding third in line after my mom's Cadillac.

My grandpa would have liked it, though. He was the one who instilled me with the love of Cadillacs.

I remember those days. Every funeral in my Mountain home seemed to end up with the exact same cars for the procession, sometimes EVERY single vehicle was privately owned (And by my Mum too, hah)

turbojimmy
01-09-11, 06:41 PM
Thanks all. It was bittersweet, but the limo lightened the mood and proved to be a REALLY comfortable car to take on a long trip (for both driver and passengers).

Here's a recent pic:

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/limo_tint-3.jpg

Aron9000
01-09-11, 10:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your grandpa man. Your limo is really nice, kind of ironic that it was pressed back into duty at the funeral procession.

turbojimmy
01-10-11, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear about your grandpa man. Your limo is really nice, kind of ironic that it was pressed back into duty at the funeral procession.

I know.

It's funny because the rumor at the local ski resort was that I'm a mortician or own a funeral business. I've been shuttling my GF and her friends around in the limo. Rather than ask what the story is with the car, people just make stuff up. I put the rumor to bed over the weekend, but it's still funny. People look at it and assume it's some huge investment that has to be associated with a business. Not so - I just happen to like gigantic Cadillacs.

jsherid1
01-10-11, 07:22 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Does anyone else find it a little odd that this thread is headed by an ad for The Neptune Society which presumably is something to do with burial at sea?

The-Dullahan
01-10-11, 08:54 PM
Not trying to be morbid - Nice Skeleton.

turbojimmy
01-11-11, 01:49 PM
Not trying to be morbid - Nice Skeleton.

I removed him for the trip. I also have little skulls on the middle doors. They're subtle so I kept them.

jesterof84
01-11-11, 05:04 PM
my 96 fleetwood came from a funeral home too kinda odd how that's a trend , my condolences as well

The-Dullahan
01-11-11, 05:07 PM
I had guessed as much, such things are only proper and respectful. When I visit a family member's funeral, I think they would come back to haunt me if I didn't take my Hearse, complete with my skeleton, Zombie and coffin.

When I die, anyone who comes to my wake in a fashion that isn't their every-day-self will be cursed.

The-Dullahan
01-11-11, 05:20 PM
I had guessed as much, such things are only proper and respectful. When I visit a family member's funeral, I think they would come back to haunt me if I didn't take my Hearse, complete with my skeleton, Zombie and coffin.

When I die, anyone who comes to my wake in a fashion that isn't their every-day-self will be cursed.

Aron9000
01-12-11, 01:52 AM
^ I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to funerals and proper attire. I'm the same person I always am, but you wouldn't recognize me in a suit(I have a closet full of jeans and Cannibal Corpse, Iron Maiden, etc tour t-shirts). I always think of formal attire as a form of mourning for me personally, and it shows respect to the dead.

jesterof84
01-12-11, 07:43 PM
funny question my dad just asked is that a limousine a factory built or a body by fisher after market ? curiosity

turbojimmy
01-12-11, 09:44 PM
funny question my dad just asked is that a limousine a factory built or a body by fisher after market ? curiosity

It's manufactured by GM as a "coachbuilder" car. They beef up the suspension and drivetrain for "up to 7,200 lbs.". The coachbuilder (in my case Superior) buys it and has their way with it. Superior does both hearses and the limousines. They had a 44" strecth and 60" stretch. Both limousines were available in "24 hour" flavors which provided a middle seat that faced both forward and backward. "24 hour" meaning that the seat faced forward for funeral use during the day and backward for entertainment at night. Mine is a 44" stretch, 24-hour car. The 60" stretch had accommodations for a partition, which would be nice but I don't really need it. I can still park the 44" stretch in normal parking spots. Can't do that with a 60" strech.

So long story short, it's not 'Body by Fisher', it's 'Body by Superior'.

http://turbojimmy.4t.com/body_by_superior.jpg

The-Dullahan
01-12-11, 09:45 PM
Agreed. But at my Funeral, when the small handful of attendees 9if any) eventually DO show up and they are in their normal attire, should someone get a photograph, My guess is you'd think it WAS formal attire.

Floridians on the other hand, they are just weird. I don't think women here know what dresses or cloaks are. Such a pity.