: Junkyard run - Update

MudAnt
01-06-11, 02:55 PM
Here's the current situation with the junkyard:

The yellow '80 coupe and blue '87 FWB were gone from the lot a couple days after I made my first thread about the wire wheels. Obviously any parts people wanted from those 2 cars are no longer available.

I've made some comments on the list in italics. To anyone who wants tail light lenses, they might be a lot more expensive than people thought, ($23 each) so I'm going to wait for confirmation via PM or a post in this thread.

Items marked in red are no longer available.

Robin Banx:

* Leather steering wheel from brown '83 $15- I have the whole wheel taken apart, but can’t remove it without a steering wheel puller ($8 from canadian tire).
* Center dash piece from brown ‘83 Have this - Will update with price
* Seat belt chime
* Trunk weather strip $2.50/foot, ~16 feet = $40, still want this?

Cadillac kevin:

* Center dash piece (for ‘87-89)
* '87 1.5 DIN radio brackets
* Woodgrain radio knobs
* 2 taillight lenses $23 - Only remaining 80’s taillight lenses are in poor condition
* 2 front fender fillers
* 2 rear fillers Tried to get this, couldn’t remove tail light housing- bolts buried in mud
* Licence plate filler
* 1 Hubcap

Dullahan:

* Tail light lens - Have this, paid $23
* Plastic piece from passenger mirror control

Jayoldschool:

* front, rear and licence plate fillers (80-89)
* 80-89 instrument cluster - $34 - This will be in KM/h
* Driver’s side lock switch block bezel (good condition only)
* Front left armrest, mid 80s light blue

Outsider:

* Front passenger side filler (under headlight only)
* one window switch

fool2:

* 90 FWB rear bumper accent piece
* 90 taillights w/ wiring harnesses and trim piece - $23 each
* 90 front driver's turn signal lens $14
* left and right chrome rocker pieces from bottom of quarter panels from 80's brougham

1980coupe:

* Both rear fillers from yellow ‘80 coupe
* Driver’s side rocker from coupe
* Trunklid reflector -No remaining ‘87-89s

Tylersloan:

* Rear passenger side armrest (blue) -None with blue interior
* Climate control from ‘85 $15
* Radio and harness from ‘85 $15
* Dash center piece - 80-86 style?
* ECM (under dash)
* Rear driver’s side fender lip trim -None in good condition

Also, since I have classes starting this monday, I won't be able to go out to the junkyard anymore until the summer. However, I will keep this list on file and let you guys know if any interesting vehicles show up in the yard. I'd be happy to get all sorts of parts during the summer when it's warm out and I have lots of free time :)

Pics of the stuff I have so far:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o4/Mudpics/Forum%20pics/IMG_3043.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o4/Mudpics/Forum%20pics/IMG_3044.jpg

outsider
01-06-11, 03:01 PM
correct on my parts. Thanks again!

Angry Matt
01-06-11, 05:52 PM
For future reference, easy way to remove a steering wheel at the junkyard, get all the bolts out, then free up the telescopic. Pull the wheel towards you, then smack the shaft in the center with a mallet or hammer. I figured this out of the summer and it usually works great. Just thought I would share the info.

It might screw up the threads on the column, so only do it if you're leaving that.

Robin Banx
01-06-11, 06:59 PM
Mud..... thanks. I will pay for the wheel puller. I have one already so you keep the Can Tire puller when you are done. Please get the wheel as soon as you can. I don't need the used trunk rubber. New repro rubber can be had for much less than that. All other prices and parts are ok. Please pack the dash centre section with lots of padding in say, a booze box to protect it from damage. The steering wheel will likely have to be shipped in a large empty pizza box with some padding as well. So if you can call me later when you are ready to ship (I will give you the number at that time) and give me payment instructions, I will have my Credit Union (Van City) wire the money directly to your bank.
Good Work.........Thanks. R.

sven914
01-06-11, 07:30 PM
Did any of the cars have one of those V-shaped emblems, Cadillac put under the trunk script in the early '80's?

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5684/194047575136878956.jpg

I've been looking and haven't seen any around here.

albymangled
01-06-11, 07:31 PM
Pardon my jumping in here but can I take it from the nature of this thread that it is actually hard to obtain parts for the older cars in US wrecking yards?

I (perhaps mistakenly) would have thought that as a domestic car Cadillacs would be plentiful in yards across the US?

sven914
01-06-11, 07:44 PM
^Cadillacs and older vehicles are usually harder to find because they weigh so much. Junkyards take them in and sell them for scrap metal before anyone has a chance to part them out. Some yards don't even put the Cadillacs out for salvage, and instead crush them the day they are brought in.

Angry Matt
01-06-11, 09:59 PM
Around here about ten years ago the '80's Cadillac was everywhere you look in the yards (mostly '82 to '85's), now they're like Sven said or being restored.

cadillac kevin
01-07-11, 01:01 AM
a local yard around here has 8 or 10 of the 80's cadillacs, only problem is people either take every single part off them to restore their caddy or destroy the parts everyone needs- and they're all 4100 powered cars. not to mention the filler panels dont survive the midwest temperature swings, and the body panels get eaten up by the enormous amounts of salt put on the roads every winter.

The-Dullahan
01-07-11, 01:05 AM
I call the lens. $23 works for me. Even though the electrical tape that is secretly holding mine on has held up for the last three years perfectly without a problem.

cadillac kevin
01-07-11, 01:11 AM
mudant, take the taillight lenses off my order.
also, does anyone have any ideas on how to ship rear fillers safely?
also, I'd like to get prices on the fillers before you go get them.

brougham
01-07-11, 02:35 AM
Pardon my jumping in here but can I take it from the nature of this thread that it is actually hard to obtain parts for the older cars in US wrecking yards?

I (perhaps mistakenly) would have thought that as a domestic car Cadillacs would be plentiful in yards across the US?

It usually is easier to get parts from US yards. But in this case he found some hard to find parts that he posted about before and was willing to get this stuff that other people are looking for. So why keep trying to find parts when someone has already done the work for you? :)

deVille33
01-07-11, 10:10 AM
I used to spend days in the local yards scavaging parts. It's unnerving when the yardman wants you to hurry up, so they can crush it. I then got a larger garage. That's when I worked it out with the yard owner's to purchase the complete car. I had to lay out more $s initially, and I agreed to return to them any metal or scrap I found unusable.
You may find it unbelieveable, but I filled my shop and several storage facilities with parts. I had everything cataloged and registered on a computer. Then I had to move, because they owner of the facility I was in sold the building.
Biggest reason I don't do it anymore, the local yards don't hold older cars very long. Then storing the parts, when you store parts, they often get damaged, when you have to move them to get to another part you are searching for.
The new facility I moved into is bigger than the other one, but I can't get as many cars into it, as it is on 2 floors. After 2 years, I still haven't gotten this place organized.

MudAnt
01-07-11, 02:38 PM
For future reference, easy way to remove a steering wheel at the junkyard, get all the bolts out, then free up the telescopic. Pull the wheel towards you, then smack the shaft in the center with a mallet or hammer. I figured this out of the summer and it usually works great. Just thought I would share the info.

It might screw up the threads on the column, so only do it if you're leaving that.

I tried that actually, it wouldn't budge.

jayoldschool
01-07-11, 03:38 PM
Mud, I'm still good for my list.

J

1980coupe
01-07-11, 06:18 PM
Did any of the cars have one of those V-shaped emblems, Cadillac put under the trunk script in the early '80's?

I got like two or four of those in my tool box. How many you need?

1980coupe
01-07-11, 06:20 PM
hey mud, thanks though for the effort, appreciate it. I was able to get my trunklid reflector from Florida through layitlow. Also might get a driver side lower rocker too??
have a good one.

sven914
01-11-11, 01:02 AM
Did you ever get my message about that emblem?

1980coupe
01-11-11, 08:49 AM
Did you ever get my message about that emblem?

yeah i did. sorry for not replying, been busy here at work.

Robin Banx
01-22-11, 08:50 PM
Marc...... I have been trying to send a pm but it appears that I have no idea how the messaging system on the forum works. I think the bloody think has been sending my own messages back to me. Can you give me shipping cost on my parts and banking info so I can get your money to you. My note had my email address and phone nbr. in it but as I have not heard from you I conclude that you did not get it.

Cheers.......R.

guyrobert
01-22-11, 11:47 PM
If any of these parts are available would be great!

I recently purchased a 79 Coupe Deville Phaeton, here is a list of parts I am looking for,

1 Glove box cable
1 passenger door ashtray
Drivers side and passenger retractable side seat belts front, copper color
Power antenna
Air intake hose from front grill to air cleaner
2 Plastic chrome air vents center dash
Radio surround pumpkin color with burled wood inlay
Spare tire cover grey (for the uniflated spare).
Chrome knob for AC/temperature control dash center
Tilt telescopic leather steering wheel light brown color
The part of the steering column that controls the park, neutral drive indicator.
Trunk mat rubber Correct floor
Air intake hose to aircleaner
Cheers

notease
10-30-11, 03:04 PM
No yunkjard tours anymore ? :)

Robin Banx
10-30-11, 04:54 PM
Hi Mud......your list shows a seat belt chime (which I still need) but you didn't send it. I also need the A/C pump adjuster complete (bolt and threaded block).

Cheers........R.

DouglasJRizzo
11-02-11, 07:37 AM

That was from about 83 up to around 88.

The-Dullahan
11-02-11, 03:35 PM
I'll make another Junkyard run myself (A really BIG one, if I'm correct) once I find out precisely what wheels are needed for my '72 that accept the proper Hubcaps.

cadillac kevin
11-02-11, 04:59 PM
Is Marc still around on the forum? I had messaged him about a set of brown/ gray rear fillers some time ago and never heard back from him.

jayoldschool
11-02-11, 10:59 PM
Have a look at his profile to see when he was last on. Most forums have that feature.

dennis93coupe
11-03-11, 10:24 AM
Last post was around July of this year...