: New owner of 2004 V

bhendricks
01-06-11, 09:55 AM
Hey guys. I've been lurking on this site since I had a 2006 CTS, then a 2000 STS, and now finally a 2004 V. Anyone here in NW Ohio??

Investigating a muffler delete project, I figured out I have the newer differential and replacement shocks, but I forgot to check the motor mounts though. :(

I've noticed a few things about the car that I don't know if they are "normal" so I'm hoping you guys can help me figure them out before I pay a mechanic to try and sell me something I don't need.

1. Something in the rear end whines only during deceleration and is more noticeable under 60 mph. Since I have the replacement diff, not sure if this is normal noise.

2. The front end "chatters" over small pot holes and bumps to the point that it drifts toward the offending pot hole/bump. Visual inspection of the front end anti-sway bar setup shows that the knuckles can be moved with manual force.

3. When the car has been idling in neutral for some time, I have to wait for the reverse gear to stop spinning before engaging the gear, otherwise she grinds hard. Reverse right after an engine start is no problem.

4. This morning I noticed a slight supercharger sound from the engine when there is currently nothing installed. 1st time I heard this and been driving in cold for almost a month.

5. With 45K on the car, what are my extended warranty options and which companies are worth it?

This site is a wealth of info and this car is a blast to drive.

Thanks,

Ben

rand49er
01-06-11, 03:30 PM
1. Something in the rear end whines only during deceleration and is more noticeable under 60 mph. Since I have the replacement diff, not sure if this is normal noise.

2. The front end "chatters" over small pot holes and bumps to the point that it drifts toward the offending pot hole/bump. Visual inspection of the front end anti-sway bar setup shows that the knuckles can be moved with manual force.

3. When the car has been idling in neutral for some time, I have to wait for the reverse gear to stop spinning before engaging the gear, otherwise she grinds hard. Reverse right after an engine start is no problem.

4. This morning I noticed a slight supercharger sound from the engine when there is currently nothing installed. 1st time I heard this and been driving in cold for almost a month.

5. With 45K on the car, what are my extended warranty options and which companies are worth it?

This site is a wealth of info and this car is a blast to drive.

Thanks,

Ben1. Even a replacement diff will whine ... mine does, just not that badly to want to replace it.

2. Pop the control arms off and take a look. It's not too hard, and it's a good way to familiarize yourself with your car.

3. Absolutely check your clutch hydraulic fluid reservoir. In fact, just flush it and put in new stuff.

4. Might be your power steering pump. When mine whines, it's definitely the supercharger. :cool2:

5. Wow ... 45k! Nice! Can't help you with warranty options, though ... sorry.

If you're in NW Ohio, ROG is in Toledo, and fasciaguy is around there, too, somewhere. All three of you guys need to stretch your legs a bit and come up here and meet up with some of us Detroit guys at Baker's in early May and/or the Dream Cruise in August. Oh, yeah, there's also lollygagger8 in NE Indiana (I believe).

Welcome!

JD03Cobra
01-06-11, 04:53 PM
Congrats & welcome! Post up them pictures.

YoshiV
01-06-11, 05:00 PM
Welcome. I'm located on the west side of Cleveland.

Don't fret over your front suspension. Cold temps cause hard tires and shrunken suspension components. Mine feels the same way all winter the is back to normal by spring. Ohio roads don't help the problem. At 45K miles on the clock I'm sure everything is fine.

You can look forward to replacing motor mounts in another 10-14K miles tho!

Houdini
01-06-11, 05:46 PM
my motor mounts were shot before 30k... many others don't even last that long. I think my new ones are already failing 8k later.

cvettr/cts-v
01-06-11, 06:16 PM
congrats on the purchase.

rand49er
01-06-11, 06:45 PM
Before everybody jumps on the OEM motor mounts, I'd just like to say mine are fine at 53k. :nyanya:

Houdini
01-06-11, 07:00 PM
You must not be driving correctly lol :burn:

rand49er
01-06-11, 07:38 PM
You must not be driving correctly lol :burn::histeric:

YoshiV
01-06-11, 08:08 PM
Mine were still fine at 53K...another winter and 10K more miles and the drivers side was gone and pass side wasn't far behind.

Doesn't bother me, back in the day it was common for heavy cars with torque monster mills to need new motor mounts at some point. I replaced mine with oem, I know almost exactly what kinda lifespan I'll can expect to get out of them, none of the aftermarket stuff has stood the test of time.

CadzillaTN
01-06-11, 09:11 PM
congrats on the 04...the true "V1". Superior to all other Vs.

JFensty
01-07-11, 06:56 PM
congrats on the 04...the true "V1". Superior to all other Vs.

:werd::2thumbs:

bhendricks
01-10-11, 09:28 AM
I had the local Midas chop the mufflers this weekend and the guy that did the work has a lot of LS engine experience and he said the mounts look good. :thumbsup:

I kept the stock tips, at least for now, I can't seem to make up my mind on replacements. Freakin' thing roars now. I smiled from ear to ear when he started the car to pull it out of the garage and pumped the gas as if to say "can you hear me know." Awesome. The online videos don't really give a good before/after audio. Anyone who's on the fence, just do it!

bhendricks
01-10-11, 09:31 AM
Welcome. I'm located on the west side of Cleveland.

Don't fret over your front suspension. Cold temps cause hard tires and shrunken suspension components. Mine feels the same way all winter the is back to normal by spring. Ohio roads don't help the problem. At 45K miles on the clock I'm sure everything is fine.

You can look forward to replacing motor mounts in another 10-14K miles tho!

Thanks! I'm in BG and grew up in Medina. I head that way quite a bit, we'll have to hook up when the weather is warmer.

bhendricks
01-10-11, 09:33 AM
1. Even a replacement diff will whine ... mine does, just not that badly to want to replace it.

2. Pop the control arms off and take a look. It's not too hard, and it's a good way to familiarize yourself with your car.

3. Absolutely check your clutch hydraulic fluid reservoir. In fact, just flush it and put in new stuff.

4. Might be your power steering pump. When mine whines, it's definitely the supercharger. :cool2:

5. Wow ... 45k! Nice! Can't help you with warranty options, though ... sorry.

If you're in NW Ohio, ROG is in Toledo, and fasciaguy is around there, too, somewhere. All three of you guys need to stretch your legs a bit and come up here and meet up with some of us Detroit guys at Baker's in early May and/or the Dream Cruise in August. Oh, yeah, there's also lollygagger8 in NE Indiana (I believe).

Welcome!

Thanks for the info! Let me know what day(s) in May and I'll try to work it into my schedule.