: Made a road video with Go Pro HD camera

junoreactor
01-05-11, 08:23 PM
Today I decided to make a video to test out how the Go Pro HD camera works outside the car. I used the suction cup attachment and stuck it to the bumper. It was going ok for awhile until the end of the vid.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid765.photobucket.com%2Falbums% 2Fxx293%2Fjunoreact%2Flittletrip.mp4">

http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/junoreact/?action=view&current=littletrip.mp4

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/junoreact/th_littletrip.jpg (http://s765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/junoreact/?action=view&current=littletrip.mp4)

**I can't figure out how to embed the vid as you can see**

Yeah, the mount fell off the bumper and I ran over it. Then another car did as well. Near the end you can see the UPS truck's back wheel get about 2 inches from the camera. This camera is damn near indestructable I'd say.

How do you guys mount this thing to the bumper? I see race cars do it, but I'm thinking they've got a better way other than the suction cup method.

Houdini
01-05-11, 08:31 PM
Nice picture quality... at least the camera is still working. How long before you realized it was gone and went to pick it up?

killernoodle
01-05-11, 09:28 PM
No problem with a suction cup mount if you zip tie it for added security. Get a RAM mount if you want some adjustablility.

rand49er
01-05-11, 09:31 PM
I'd love to see that vantage point while on the track.

Agree with Houdini ... nice picture quality.

repenttokyo
01-05-11, 10:16 PM
i use the adhesive mount on the inside of the bumper of my miata, and i have no trouble with it falling off at 100 + mph on the track.

you can use fishing line to anchor it to the car in case it DOES fall off.

V-Guy
01-05-11, 10:20 PM
I'd love to see that vantage point while on the track.

The vantage point where he's still upright, I assume? :-)

junoreactor
01-05-11, 11:48 PM
I realized it was gone when I ran over it with my back tire! It felt like I fell into a 5 inch deep pothole, which I did in my previous car and broke the shock mount tower area out of the body of the car. So it was on the road for about 2 mins it took me to grab a parking spot and run down the block to get it. It's safe to say I was a bit tense when I stood on the corner of the intersection and watched the UPS truck just miss it by two inches. I figured I'd rather lose the camera than my hand if I attempted a quick grab and run.

I just looked at that RAM mount stuff that killernoodle mentioned. They've got a ton of options and look like that's the direction I will take for a replacement mount. The only thing I don't like about the Go Pro camera is you have to put it in the clear housing to attach it to anything; it has no screw mounting point integrated in its body, which is understandable because of its diminutive size. If you've never seen one, it's about 2"L x 1"W x 1"H, incredibly small.

Anyway, next time I will use the zip tie and/or fishing line method to tether it to the vehicle. I kind of did this on a whim and didn't really plan it out during a break at work.

Edit: Oh. One more thing. The picture quality is noticably worse and choppier in that video than the original file. After I cropped a bit off of the video to reduce the size and uploaded to photobucket it took a good hit in resolution. This thing actually films in 1080p too.

AAIIIC
01-06-11, 08:59 AM
How big is the suction cup mount? Is it just a single suction cup or multiple? I've used suction cup mounts for my first external cam (Cone Cam) up to ~120mph, and with my current, smaller bullet cams (Chase Cams) up to ~145mph without issue. I don't think I have a good picture of either mount, but the mounts use 3 suction cups that are probably 1.5 - 2" in diameter. On occasion I've come in from a session and found that 1 of the 3 cups had lost suction, but the other two are enough to hold it in place.

I'm very impressed by the GoPro HD's video quality, but I find it disappointing that there's no provision for external audio. They've been progressively improving the built-in pinhole mic, but it's still not nearly as good as having a real mic mounted somewhere out of the direct air flow.

whisler151
01-06-11, 10:39 AM
Watch out UPS truck!

repenttokyo
01-06-11, 11:16 AM
The only thing I don't like about the Go Pro camera is you have to put it in the clear housing to attach it to anything; it has no screw mounting point integrated in its body, which is understandable because of its diminutive size. If you've never seen one, it's about 2"L x 1"W x 1"H, incredibly small.

you will like that clear housing the more you use it, because the alternative is to have rocks chip your camera lens. much cheaper to replace a pitted clear cover than an entire camera.

Castro
01-06-11, 11:31 AM
State College huh?

odla
01-06-11, 01:37 PM
I have had the camera for over a year now and love it. I don't use the suction on the bumper since it is not as smooth as a body panel. i use the little mounts that use double back tape. I have used it on race cars up to 190 MPH with no problem. The suction cup is good if you use it on smooth surfaces and i always clean them first. I clean the suction cup with a hand wipe that you get at kfc or rib joints. I have taken it diving and its ok. If you get a new flat lens housing its is great in underwater quality. i use it a lot. Even in my drive to and from work. when i hook it up to my 55 in led tv it is awesome. If you have any question about it pm me and ill help you out.

wcryan
01-06-11, 03:53 PM
I used to use the old GoPro camera to tape my buddie or me behind me, on our bikes going up palomar Mtn. We had to be within 5 ft. to get a good clear picture which was waaaaaaaay to dangerous going 70MPH+ around corners. This HD one puts the 1st herocam to shame 100%. How much did it cost ya?

Castro
01-06-11, 03:59 PM
Their website indicates $299, and has awesome sample video clips of skiing and such

daVe06
01-06-11, 07:04 PM
I've used my suction cup mount on the hood of my offroad buggy without it falling off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6JLTZvWV-E

junoreactor
01-06-11, 07:29 PM
AAIIIC, the suction cup is a single cup and I'd say it's about 3 inches across.

odla, Thanks, If I have any questions I'll hit you up.

Yeah, Castro I'm in State College. It will be nuts up here in a few days when all of PSU comes back. I drive an automatic on move in days, the traffic is just awful sometimes. You are in Williamsport correct?

AG'S-V
01-06-11, 10:52 PM
Holy crap that's a tough camera!

Castro
01-07-11, 09:32 AM
Yep I'm in the Port. We have an small sales office in State College on Calder Way since we do a lot of business with Penn State so I visit every now and then. I like it down there, plenty to look at. Seemed like it was all short shorts last summer and the return of black stretch pants and ug boots when I was there a few weeks ago. I had dinner at the restaurant on the corner where you lost the camera.

Stepside
01-07-11, 10:01 AM
That was cool.:thumbsup: We need to see more & hear your maggie whine.
I would think you could mount it in the grill, out of sight.
Maybe on the roof, as an alternative to the XM antenna.

junoreactor
01-07-11, 03:26 PM
After I get a new mount I would like to try in the grille. I'm not sure how it'll look with the grill covering the lens though. We'll find out. I want to get a sound clip of idle and rev with kooks and borla. It seems most people have posted corsa, etc but not Borla for people to sample before they buy a catback. I'll try the waterproof door this time on the camera to cut some wind noise while I drive and perhaps when I idle.

Unfortunately the car is dirty as hell and covered with snow right now. I drove home without checking the weather and got blasted on the trip. No sense washing it yet to put the car cover back on.

ss_327
01-07-11, 09:02 PM
Its a great camera a few of buddies have them. Awesome video.

Flavoade
01-08-11, 07:30 PM
This is a video a guy recorded using a go pro at a track day

http://www.vimeo.com/6060924

MGP1
01-11-11, 08:29 PM
Kewl!

repenttokyo
01-12-11, 02:27 PM
here's my gopro vid from Monticello, front bumper inlet mount:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7iaCpHvHUk