: Sub Question

egor999
01-05-11, 02:02 AM
Hello,

So I have a sub and amp to match laying around my place from my previous car and would like to install them into my v, but I have some questions on how to approach installing the sub. I already have a plan for the amp.

I would like to install the sub into the stock sub location and am having difficulty doing so. The aftermarket sub is simply to fat to fit between the rear deck and the window. Is there a way to completely remove the rear deck to then install the sub followed by re-installing the rear deck? Or should I contemplate temperarily removing the rear window for the install?

The stock sub and after market sub are the same size besides for thickness. I think I might use the stock sub as a new frisbee, lol.

I know the new sub needs to be free air and I do not like the idea of cutting away any part of my car to make this work. I would rather not install anything than cut peices of sheet metal away to simply install a sub. I know that makes me a little weird, but it's just how I am.

Any idea's or suggestions would be appreiciated!

Thanks!!!

mr_e_mann
01-07-11, 10:59 AM
I don't think there is any way to remove the metal part of the rear deck. You could probably engineer up a way to mount the speaker to the bottom of the deck with less work than removing the rear glass.

soulja
01-07-11, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I had that same surprise and ended up just putting the sub in an enclosure.

CancerJCC
01-07-11, 06:24 PM
Good points guys. Heavy how did you get your sub to drop into the stock location, glass in?

heavymetals
01-07-11, 07:01 PM
Yes, glass in.

Duck soup, there is a lot of room to wiggle it in.

The long throw types may not fit, but the Infinity 10" that I used was fairly deep and it fit.

Worse case you mount from the bottom but you need to make a mounting plate.

CancerJCC
01-08-11, 11:37 AM
Yes, glass in.

Duck soup, there is a lot of room to wiggle it in.

The long throw types may not fit, but the Infinity 10" that I used was fairly deep and it fit.

Worse case you mount from the bottom but you need to make a mounting plate.

I need some of this "duck soup" that you always speak of! haha Thank you I was just going from memory and it seemed like it would be tight. I like not giving up any trunk space and am going to put one in the stock location as well.

heavymetals
01-08-11, 11:56 AM
Duck soup refers to how easy it is to make or do.

Hot water and a duck and you have "duck soup".

egor999
01-08-11, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate your input.

I will probably just get a box for now untill I can come up with a custom mounting solution.