: KaTech LS9x Clutch

V-Guy
01-04-11, 10:26 PM
I'm still running the OE clutch in my '07 V at 56K miles and it's functioning just fine for now - but I've been looking. Is anyone running the KaTech LS9x?

From KaTech's website:

-For 2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V
-Twin disk clutch
-Clutch disks and pressure plate from the ZR1
-Aluminum flywheel with 6 bolt pattern for standard LS engines
-Includes flywheel bolts
-Includes pressure plate bolts
-8lbs lighter than the stock Z06 clutch/flywheel assembly
-Flywheel weighs 12.0lbs.
-Drives like a stock ZR1 - stock pedal feel
-Proven to 700rwhp (drag racing) 800rwhp (street)
-800+ ft-lbs torque capacity
-No neutral noise or chattering
-All of the benefits of a twin disk clutch and none of the trade-offs

Bad news - it's damn pricey at $1299. I see some of the potential advantages vs. the LS7, but I could buy 2 LS7s from Lindsey for $1299!! Plus I'm only pulling about 410 rwhp, so I'm not sure I need anything heartier than the LS7 in any event - although I see a Maggie in my near future.

Any thoughts?

Guy

PISNUOFF
01-05-11, 06:09 AM
The LS7 will hold your power, until you add supercharger and put down over 500 to the tires.

V-Guy
01-05-11, 10:09 AM
The LS7 will hold your power, until you add supercharger and put down over 500 to the tires.

Thanks! If I add the Maggie and end up in the mid-500s to the wheels, do you think the KaTech is worth the money?

ronr
01-05-11, 10:24 AM
I have the Katech 9x and love it. I can't comment on the LS7 since I've never driven one of our cars with that clutch but the LS9 is a vast improvement over stock. I had a lot of parade clunk and some funny clicking noises coming from my stock clutch before changing to the 9. It's butter smooth, even my 15 year old son shifts like a pro with this clutch. I've got a maggie and other assorted mods and it has no trouble holding the power.

Is it worth the money? I think so but again I don't have any LS7 experience with which to compare.

p.s. V-Guy, I see in your location that you're in Zionsville. I'm spending a lot of time about 2 hours up I-65 in Merrillville. If your interested in making the trek up to Merrillville some evening and test driving mine just send a pm.

V-Guy
01-05-11, 10:34 AM
I have the Katech 9x and love it. I can't comment on the LS7 since I've never driven one of our cars with that clutch but the LS9 is a vast improvement over stock. I had a lot of parade clunk and some funny clicking noises coming from my stock clutch before changing to the 9. It's butter smooth, even my 15 year old son shifts like a pro with this clutch. I've got a maggie and other assorted mods and it has no trouble holding the power.

Is it worth the money? I think so but again I don't have any LS7 experience with which to compare.

p.s. V-Guy, I see in your location that you're in Zionsville. I'm spending a lot of time about 2 hours up I-65 in Merrillville. If your interested in making the trek up to Merrillville some evening and test driving mine just send a pm.

That's great information and a very kind offer - I may very likely take you up on it!! What year is your V?

ronr
01-05-11, 10:59 AM
That's great information and a very kind offer - I may very likely take you up on it!! What year is your V?

It's an '04 in the fast color, silver :)

crankedupforit
01-05-11, 11:05 AM
One of the real advantages of a twin that Jason from Katech pointed out was that the smoothness and drive-ability of the LS9 for it's power rating is a big attribute to a single disc puck style clutch with a high sprung pressure plate. With the LS9 you get the holding power without all the driveability complaints you hear from guys with Monster and Spec stage 3s (chatter, grabby). So when you think of the twin don't just think holding power only. That being said, I've heard the LS7 clutch is well engineered and has great street manners. If it's within in your power goals it would never be a bad choice. If you have some bigger plans in the future, spend the money now for the LS9. In the long run you'll be better off.

PISNUOFF
01-05-11, 04:09 PM
I just installed an LS9 but haven't finished building my motor and tuning it. I ran an LS7 with approx 440 to the wheels without issue for almost 2 years of constant beatings. I will have my car back on the road and tuned in a couple weeks with more power so I could give you a comparison then.

V-Guy
01-05-11, 04:32 PM
I just installed an LS9 but haven't finished building my motor and tuning it. I ran an LS7 with approx 440 to the wheels without issue for almost 2 years of constant beatings. I will have my car back on the road and tuned in a couple weeks with more power so I could give you a comparison then.

Fantastic. Thanks again.

rand49er
01-05-11, 07:39 PM
That's great information and a very kind offer - I may very likely take you up on it!! ...Be careful.

I've driven ronr's car ... twice ... it's cost me over $6k ... so far ... a maggie ... and an LS9 clutch ... watch out ... he's dangerous ... to your wallet.