: Delco has new oil filter design

mhamilton
01-04-11, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to share this, Delco has apparently upgraded their oil filter design or supplier. I hadn't bought a Delco oil filter since last March, and I was surprised to find this new "PF61 E" filter designation. For a moment I thought the parts guy gave me the wrong filter, but a quick Google turns out the "E" is an improved design (for PF61 along with most other common Delco filters).

Here's an ACD article that has info on the new one:
http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V16I609.pdf

I know the old style Delco filters got a mediocre review on this page: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/ This new one looks a lot like the Napa Gold filters, as far as I can see without cutting it open.

Submariner409
01-04-11, 01:44 PM
Like the new design.

The NAPA Gold equivalent is the same as the WIX 51522 (my favorite Northstar filter) - both of those are made by Dana Corp.

FWD Cadillac owners may also want to read and study the tire/wheel balance article. (Somebody should get copyright permission and make this a sticky - it answers a lot of "Seville Shimmy" questions.)

mhamilton
01-04-11, 02:31 PM
The NAPA filters are nice, I've never had a problem with them in years of using them in other cars. These new Delcos look better and feel heavier than the old ones, though I should have said they're not identical to the Napa/WIX. I changed a NAPA Gold filter today on my Impala, and that has the perforated metal screen inside. Whereas this Delco has the plastic mesh and you can see the filter material. But the top plate and drain back valve looks like the Napa/WIX. All around looks a lot better than the old one. It would be interesting to find out if this is a new supplier, or if the old supplier just improved the design.

Haha, yeah, I didn't even think of that--it does have a pretty good article on tire balance in there, too :)

Ranger
01-04-11, 02:39 PM
I've seen that new "E" designation and wondered what it was about. Thanks for posting that.

I found the side note on tire sealants rather interesting as well.