: SRX headlights too bright - alignment?

onthebay
01-04-11, 08:33 AM
I have a 2010 SRX and am constantly getting flashed by oncoming cars who believe that my bright lights are on. I've been to the dealer twice and they claim they are properly aligned.
I've viewed other SRX's coming at me and I'm not blinded.
I do know that these type of lights pivot horizontally up to 15-deg and tilt upwards depending on your speed.
I have also noticed that when I apply my bright lights that they seem to be way too high in comparison to my other car that I drive which is a G6.
Question: Is there a verticle adjustment for these light? If so, where is it located?

Thank You

Smokin' SRX
01-04-11, 10:19 AM
Never experienced but there is a vertical adjustment. I've seen/read it. Car is not here so I can't pinpoint. I think it was labeled with a pictogram? I could be thinking of my daughters GM car...

Wonder if the motorized adjuster at speed is out of wack? Seems likely if Dealer says they're OK, at rest. Is it happening above 40mph?? At a red light??

SS

onthebay
01-04-11, 10:50 AM
I've experienced it on slower speed <40MPH. I was driving my G6 in front of my wife who was driving the SRX at about 30MPH and it was blinding me through my rear view mirror.

Smokin' SRX
01-04-11, 11:06 AM
Wow. Interesting. Your Signature doesn't say what model you have but if they pivot as you mention , they should be the HID lights, as on a Performance or Premium model. They shouldn't be raising at only 30-40 MPH. ( I recall this occurs above 50MPH) The data conflicts (eg...dealer says OK at rest, but you say too high at low speeds) indicating dealer is wrong about the resting position or a defective "raising" calibration is the fault. You're not seeing the blue HIGH beam indicator coming ON while driving , are you? Maybe a defective stalk switch? I'd be tempted to match the resting low beams on a wall with my other car, from 25' away and see for myself. Bear in mind that the HID lights on the SRX have a sharp cut-off height but you'll get the idea.

Keep us posted...

SS

onthebay
01-04-11, 12:02 PM
Yes, they are HID lights
I can confirm that the highbeam blue light isn't on. The fact that when I do put the high beams on a dark road makes only a slight improvement since the high beams appear to be hitting above the road.
My gut is that the dealer has some sort of calibration issue with their system.
I like your idea of matching the height of both cars on a wall at 25' to compare. I'll check that out tonight.
If I find that they are indeed high, I'm tempted to adjust them myself if there is an adjustment screw.

GMJim
01-04-11, 01:46 PM
onthebay, check your Private Message. Jim

TheCaptain
01-04-11, 04:27 PM
Don't forget our headlights sit higher on our vehicle compared to small cars. If i'm right, that would put oncoming and vehicles being followed perfectly in the "bright spot" of our lights. I know i get flashed a lot too, but i know my lights are bright. HID ftw! :D

sube5186
01-04-11, 07:46 PM
More than likely nothing is wrong with your headlights. There's an error message which displays on the DIC when there's a problem with the headlight alignment. I've gotten flashed several times too. There are still a lot of people who aren't used to HID headlights. Most of the "white" light headlights you see are just that.....white light. They're not HID. HID don't just produce a whiter light. They're much brighter as well. You have to realize this. If you see 100 cars coming at you with regular headlights on, then you see the SRX coming, by comparison you're going to assume the high beams are on.

Sube

Hockeytown 1340
01-04-11, 08:41 PM
I'm jealous, never been flashed LOL. I do wish my lights were brighter thou!

TRMN8R1
01-04-11, 10:02 PM
I'm jealous, never been flashed LOL. I do wish my lights were brighter thou!

I get flashed all the time, just not with headlights! lol!

Cooper10
01-05-11, 07:35 AM
2010 Owners Manual
Chapter 9 Vehicle Care
page 9/31 - How to Aim HID Headlights
V1 and V2 Aiming Screws

Smokin' SRX
01-05-11, 10:23 AM
2010 Owners Manual
Chapter 9 Vehicle Care
page 9/31 - How to Aim HID Headlights
V1 and V2 Aiming Screws

Thx Cooper for looking it up. I knew it was there, but I've been nuts @ work. OntheBay, you've gotten lotsa good ideas here. I personally would immediately lower them a bit, even tough they're bright HIDs as Sube says, they should not be blinding anyone. It ain't safe. I don't think I've been flashed twice, in 6 months of driving mine. You saw it for yourself, when the wife drove behind you recently that they are just too high. That's what the adjustments are for :-) Try it.......

SS

onthebay
01-10-11, 08:50 PM
Hi all and thanks for the feedback.

After some procrastination, I popped the hood, moved the SRX back 25 ft, put some painters tape on the wall to mark the current level, then adjusted both V1 screws until the beam went down an inch (to start with). The V2 screw wasn't as easily accessable. What is the V2 adjustment for? The V1 adjustment did the trick so far.

Smokin' SRX
01-13-11, 08:36 PM
Great news. Do you feel you lost any needed road illumination? Don't know what the V2 is. Maybe the Bright adjustment? Now to see if you still get flashed. Nice work.

SS

onthebay
01-13-11, 09:06 PM
So far so good....................no flashing. The bright lights are more effective too.
Thanks for the help...............can't wait to rub it into the dealership.

rtsittner
01-17-11, 06:30 PM
Hi all and thanks for the feedback.

After some procrastination, I popped the hood, moved the SRX back 25 ft, put some painters tape on the wall to mark the current level, then adjusted both V1 screws until the beam went down an inch (to start with). The V2 screw wasn't as easily accessable. What is the V2 adjustment for? The V1 adjustment did the trick so far.

onthebay,

I posted this very same problem on this board a while back. My lights are definitely too high, but the dealer gave me the same answer - they are aligned correctly. I have tried to follow the manual to adjust the V1 screws, but I don't see any screws where they are indicated on the housing. Any tips? Thanks in advance...

Randy