: Astroroof not opening . . . . .

Aron9000
01-04-11, 02:08 AM
So the factory sunroof on my 1991 took a dump. It will go to the vent position and close, but when it tries to slide back it just makes this grinding sound. Shade opens and closes fine.

I'm guessing a plastic gear somewhere in there is stripped. How involved is this, and can I find parts? Do I have to drop the whole headliner? I know finding one in a junkyard is going to be next to impossible because nobody ordered the Astro roof option. I really don't want to go to Cadillacking.com if I can avoid it, they charge stupid silly prices on their junk.

pompste
01-04-11, 05:59 AM
So the factory sunroof on my 1991 took a dump. It will go to the vent position and close, but when it tries to slide back it just makes this grinding sound. Shade opens and closes fine.

I'm guessing a plastic gear somewhere in there is stripped. How involved is this, and can I find parts? Do I have to drop the whole headliner? I know finding one in a junkyard is going to be next to impossible because nobody ordered the Astro roof option. I really don't want to go to Cadillacking.com if I can avoid it, they charge stupid silly prices on their junk.

Seems no one has an answer for you yet.I know getting parts for a factory astro-roof are really hard to find.I recently had my moon roof on my '95 Deville replaced,parts were easy to find since it was an aftermarket install.I had it replaced at my local custom shop and the owner told me "if you had a factory installed moon roof,parts would not be available".
Cadillacking knows they have most customers over a barrel if they need really hard to find parts,and you`re right--they charge stupid silly prices.
Only suggestion i can come up with is if you have a auto shop in your town that does custom work---maybe they could at least take a look at your astro-roof,find what the problem with it is,and they could possibly create a replacement part for it.Who knows----maybe they have some spare plastic gears there---or maybe the plastic gear has just become misaligned and it might be an easy fix.
When i had my moon roof replaced,there was "no" headliner removal at all---it was all replaced from above and all the moving parts are hidden in the tracks the roof glides on,and some parts are actually attached to the sides of the gliding roof panel itself.
Good luck,dude!

MudAnt
01-04-11, 09:24 PM
There's an '85 at my local junkyard with an astroroof, the mechanism is probably different for the 90s though because they have the vent position.

Aron9000
01-05-11, 03:39 AM
There's an '85 at my local junkyard with an astroroof, the mechanism is probably different for the 90s though because they have the vent position.

Actually I bet its exactly the same if its a 4 door. I've seen an 86 Brougham at a car show with a sunroof, looked exactly like the one I have, including the switch/map light arrangement.

This is one of those projects I'm going to work on around march when its actually warm enough to open the sunroof. Hopefully by then I'll have a 2nd car so I can have the Cadillac torn apart with no headliner while I'm waiting on parts.