: Looking at a 2006 CTS-V need help with opinion car fax info

conrad1972
01-03-11, 10:23 PM
Guys, I am looking at a 2006 CTS-V, it only has 37000 miles on it. the problem I am having is on the car fax, they state there was an accident with frame damage, although there was no airbag deployment. This would lend me to believe it most likely wasn't a very serious accident. Just looking for some other opinions. Or things I should consider looking at in regards to damage that may have occured.
Thanks
Conrad

V-Guy
01-03-11, 10:27 PM
I am no expert, but I have a hard time believing that any accident that resulted in frame damage wasn't serious. At a minimum, I'd have a very experienced mechanic that I trust put the car on a lift and examine every accessible inch of the frame to determine what the damage was, what the fix was, and what its present condition is.

rand49er
01-04-11, 06:32 AM
An '06 with 37k sure sounds enticing.

Like V-guy, I'm by no means an expert, but I'd think if the sheet metal seems to be right with proper gaps and not loose and the car tracks down the road properly and corners both left and right with little fanfare, it could be a candidate.

Does it have a salvage title?

06BlackonBlackCTSV
01-04-11, 07:22 AM
I totaled my first V. I messed the frame up. I hit a guard rail backwards (coming off an on ramp too fast :banghead:) I know I was dumb, but everybody makes mistakes. My airbags never deployed. The mechanic that did my insurance claim said that he could fix everything on it (even the bent frame), it was just gonna cost about $27k to fix and it was only worth $31k at the time. So insurance company totaled it. So just because the airbags didn't deploy, doesn't mean it was not a serious accident. I am sure if you really like that one, you can take it to a dealership or a shop and they can tell you if there is anything wrong with the frame, not sure though. I would pass on that one, and keep looking for another V. Just my .02.

conrad1972
01-04-11, 09:02 AM
The title is clear, it is not branded a salvage title. I am going to go and test drive it, see how it drives. If it drives alright then I will go from there.
Thanks for the input, I'm just looking for some other opinions. I need/want a newer car and I am trying not to let that get in the way of being smart about what I buy.

rand49er
01-04-11, 09:13 AM
Where is "Up North?"

TroyFleming
01-04-11, 09:51 AM
I would say I am an expert on V's damaged and have probably rebuilt more V's then any on forum. I have also owned damaged V's with clean titles still with 100K Warranty still intact. so ask away with any questions tips on spotting where a repair started/stopped on a V.

Also Carfax is a horrible horrible company and has been sued numerous times by dealers,owners and dmv's over false/inproper data filing.

TroyFleming
01-04-11, 09:52 AM
The title is clear, it is not branded a salvage title. I am going to go and test drive it, see how it drives. If it drives alright then I will go from there.
Thanks for the input, I'm just looking for some other opinions. I need/want a newer car and I am trying not to let that get in the way of being smart about what I buy.

Shoot me a PM with any questions/concerns on car or possible areas to look.

10-4
01-04-11, 12:33 PM
take it to an autobody shop before you buy. i know the exact car you are looking at since i have been looking at V's again. that dealer seems to have alot of cars on their website with negative carfax's. the seats also look pretty jacked up for 37k miles in my opinion.

darkman
01-04-11, 02:20 PM
The V has a frame?

conrad1972
01-04-11, 04:34 PM
Oshkosh, Wisconsin

CancerJCC
01-04-11, 04:48 PM
Oshkosh, Wisconsin

Randy asked because if you can get a member near you to help you out it would be nice. Nothing like test driving a car that you already own and know every inch of.

conrad1972
01-04-11, 04:52 PM
I am always willing to take help, I teach for a living and it makes for a difficult time if people won't except help or ask for it.
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far.