: Brake help!

KidMet
01-03-11, 12:40 AM
Ok.. Huge prblem. Went out of town, let the roomie borrow my 2000 Escalade (first mistake). Came home and the brakes are jacked up. They won't engaged until pushed ALL the way to the floor. When fully pressed in, the brake light on the dash turns one. When I let off the pedal, I can tap it and the light goes off. I put a new master cylindar on and it didn't help. The brake fluid in the old one was gray (yikes!). When I push the brake pedal down it sounds like a tire being deflated under the dash.... Please oh please let someone have some experience.

EROCK1
01-03-11, 12:47 AM
Sounds like you may have a leak in the system somewhere. Also did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it and did you bleed the brake system after you installed the master cylinder?

KidMet
01-03-11, 12:38 PM
Bench bled. Didn't bleed system. I'm solo, so not sure how I can. Also, looking at all the posts on here, no one replies to bleeding posts. Not sure where, how to do it. Tech 2 is all ive seen about it.

KidMet
01-03-11, 05:52 PM
Bench bled. Didn't bleed system. I'm solo, so not sure how I can. Also, looking at all the posts on here, no one replies to bleeding posts. Not sure where, how to do it. Tech 2 is all ive seen about it.

Update: Auto Zone gave me a bad master cylinder. Got a new one, bench bled, then bled at all wheels... All fixed.

EROCK1
01-03-11, 05:56 PM
Bleeding the brake system is pretty standard. You want to start at the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder. So start with the right rear wheel and work your way forward. Your going to need two people to do it.
Ask your roomie to help since he effed it up. lol

CEPMAN
01-12-11, 09:38 PM
Just for info's sake, they sell a one man bleed kit. I needed it when I bled mine - having a wife and daughters mean I have to be able to do everything on my own. It works pretty well - you basically remove the cap from the caliper and it pumps the brake fluid.