: Are there any teachers among the Forums membership?

orconn
01-02-11, 02:12 PM
I know the Forums draws from a broad spectrum of society and from many lines of work, but i don't recall any elementary or secondary teachers being among us. Of course, I could be wrong, but I am curious why this might be.

Come to think of it I don't remember any of my teachers, over the years, having Cadillacs. But then for high school I attended Friends" (Quaker) schools and those teachers who could afford Cadillacs drove Mercedes (and painted the bumpers black!).

College professors were different there were several who had Lincolns and Cadillacs .... the Ivy Leaguers had Volvos and Mercedes.

Jesda
01-02-11, 02:41 PM
Gary D teaches at the college level, but yeah I really cant remember anyone on here being a schoolteacher.

My teacher friends all drive standard run of the mill automobiles.

drewsdeville
01-02-11, 03:18 PM
My girlfriend is a high school special education teacher with an english major, working on her masters. She drives a 2009 Malibu LT that she absolutely loves. Working for Milwaukee public school district, I don't think she'll ever be driving a nice Cadillac, and I never see any Cadillacs in most Milwaukee school parking lots.

Unless you are a professor with a doctorate with a lot of years under your belt at a private school, or your joint income with your significant other is hefty, I don't think you'll find many teachers who can actually AFFORD to drive a nice shiny new Cadillac in this country. There are some, but I think they are few and far between.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-02-11, 03:22 PM
When I think of teachers cars, nothing exceptional comes to mind. I've always put teachers together well with Saabs and Volvos.

Jesda
01-02-11, 03:25 PM
My high school English teacher, Mr Sullivan, had an old Ferrari and an E-class. His wife was a rich lawyer.

orconn
01-02-11, 03:31 PM
Way to go, Mr. Sullivan!

jayoldschool
01-02-11, 03:39 PM
I'm a high school teacher. My students like my cars. Lots of the auto shop guys come to me for advice, and I get along very well with the auto shop teacher.

V-Eight
01-02-11, 06:00 PM
^ What do you teach?

EChas3
01-02-11, 09:50 PM
One of my best friends teaches first grade in a public school south of Milwaukee. When I bought my used 2006 STS (a great luxury value), he bought a new Dodge Caravan for 10G's more. He later seemed surprised.

People should buy what they want. Most of his coworkers are even farther left (politically speaking) than he is. I recall one whining at a party 2 years ago, "I want a car I can plug in!" She didn't like me telling her to go do it. (She finally admitted she really wanted noone to drive gas engined cars.)

I'm happy it's going to be easier for her to waste her money on a Volt or Leaf. I'm disgusted she is also going to waste our hard-earned tax dollars. Just because she drank the discredited Gore Kool-Aid, don't force me to do so.

I think Homer Simpson drives a pink SDV. It's got the vertical tailights!

Jesda
01-02-11, 09:58 PM
Its amazing how expensive Chrysler/Dodge minivans can get with just a few options. Before you know it, you've blown $40k on a box of misery.

gdwriter
01-02-11, 10:04 PM
One of my elementary school teachers drove a new Sedan de Ville; a lot of my other teachers drove Buicks. I distinctly remember one of the young (and beautiful) teachers drove a new '76 Monte Carlo, black with a black vinyl roof. And one of my high school English teachers had a '65 Mustang.

D3l7a3ch0
01-03-11, 09:32 AM
...my high school guidance counselor used to take me out to lunch in her kompressor convertible mercedes

I second this thread... ARE there any teachers on this forum :-D

Its amazing how expensive Chrysler/Dodge minivans can get with just a few options. Before you know it, you've blown $40k on a box of misery.

LOL a box of misery. have you seen the swagger wagon commercials?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N3F1FhW4

jayoldschool
01-03-11, 04:14 PM
What do you teach?

Science, History, Geography. Occasionally, V8 performance ;)

orconn
01-03-11, 04:41 PM
I never had a teacher who drove a Cadillac, but my 3rd grade teacher, Miss Annie Grace McCunn, drove a two tone blue 1941 Packard One Twenty. It was in the early 1950's and Miss McCunn's, of course with white walls, was always immaculate! Miss McCunn was reputed to be of independent means and was one of the all time favorite teachers at Linda Vista Elementary School in Pasadena, California.

jayoldschool
01-03-11, 05:41 PM
My 12th grade home room teacher, Mrs Caldwell, drove an E-Type Jag roadster. So cool.

hueterm
01-03-11, 09:13 PM
There was a creepy middle aged man that tought something at our high school who in the late '80s had a late '70s/early '80s XJ-S. The principal had a Cimarron (LOL, he was a tard) and his b*tch cnut daughter had a 3-Series (like Rick's only a coupe). One of the guidance counselors had one of those 3 coupes as well.

That was about it, as far as desirable cars...such as they were...

miwise
01-03-11, 09:15 PM
I taught high school algebra 2 and geometry for 5 years. I work offshore now. Lol

jayoldschool
01-03-11, 10:10 PM
his b*tch cnut daughter had a 3-Series

Watch the Top Gear USA ep from Sunday ;)

EChas3
01-03-11, 11:02 PM
The wife's Cousin Denny has owned as many as two late model SDV's at one time while teaching college-prep Biology in a public high school. Beautiful cars.

orconn
01-03-11, 11:39 PM
You think Cousin Denny maybe had a little sales operation going on the side? Just sayin'.

miwise
01-04-11, 11:34 AM
Lol. I know I couldn't have afforded a new Cadillac on my salary. Even a used one woulda been a stretch.

JimHare
01-17-11, 05:50 PM
Both of my parents were teachers - Dad at the secondary school level, and Mom started out in Elementary then after a Masters and Ed. D., at the college level - when they both retired in 1978 she was chair of the Special Ed Department at Temple in Philly. We had Volvos (142, 144, 264) and VWs (64 bus, 55 beetle). When I got my E-type in 1974 it blew their minds. I remember letting Mom drive it one day to work and she came home with a big smile on her face. I guess the Jag was a bit different than her 197x 142 or whatever it was. At one point, we had four Volvos around the old Hacienda - their four-door tanks and my 63' P1800 that I drove before the Jag came home.

I taught adult night school at the community college. Does that count?

Oddly enough, one of their Volvos was still living up to a year or so ago - It's been in Florida since 1978, and I think one of my neices drove it around. I don't think anything worked except the motor itself, and it probably had about 400K miles on it. :)

GGMiv
01-30-11, 01:23 PM
Teacher here. Actually, we're both teachers and both drive SRXs. Mine 2011, hers 2008. I had a Mercedes E350 before the SRX. Mine's leased, hers is bought (they weren't doing leases in 2008). We've been teaching since the '70s so we make decent money and not having kids has allowed us to splurge on our cars. We're both getting ready to retire in the next couple of years.

We both teach middle school now. She teaches music; I am a resource teacher for the teachers. I have taught students from 3rd grade through graduate school at different times in my career. She has always taught middle school music.

We got the SRXs because they are easy to get in and out of for us "older" folks.