: New Illinois Speeding Laws...

Razorecko
01-02-11, 11:08 AM
I know alot of you V brothers are in illinois and I wanted to give you guys a heads up on the new speeding laws that were enacted the beginning of this year....brace yourselves....

going 30-39 over= $1,500 fine, class B Misdemeanor + potential 6 months in jail

going 40 over= potentially 1 year in jail and no option for court supervision

Yes, that means if you're going 85mph (55mph base) on the highway you can get into some serious sh*t. People call it Blago's fault but it wasnt, he was the one I believe was blocking this law. We can all thank Mr. Quinn for this new b.s. money making move.

zero26039
01-02-11, 11:43 AM
Imagine telling your cell mate, what are you in for?............................"Speeding"

Razorecko
01-02-11, 11:53 AM
With that type of fine its just worthwhile to get your car fully rigged out with a laser/detector system.

hulksdaddy
01-02-11, 11:54 AM
Imagine telling your cell mate, what are you in for?............................"Speeding"

Wouldn't say that unless you want to be the chick in that relationship. :shhh: :histeric:

cbloveday
01-02-11, 12:27 PM
That law will make you think twice about highway tuning in remote areas. It might be busier at the dragstrips this year.

zero26039
01-02-11, 12:58 PM
If you pass a cop at 95 in a 55, wouldn't a driver be more likely to gun it? If I was facing 1 year in jail, I don't know if pulling over would be in my best interest. This depends on the highway your on and how far the next exit is that you can slip into traffic.

cbloveday
01-02-11, 02:17 PM
I don't think I would do that. All chances of leniency would be gone and they'll confiscate you'r V.

Next time they chase someone, it'll be in your car, so make sure you total it in the process. :)

neuronbob
01-02-11, 03:06 PM
Wow. That new law seems more a moneymaking scheme for the state than a safety law. They'd take the $1500 but they sure wouldn't put you in jail (therefore costing the state $$$$$) for that kind of speeding.

Thank goodness here in Ohio the speed limit on the Turnpike will be 70 as of April 1, 2011 :woot: and there is movement in the Statehouse toward making the limit for cars 70 mph on the other rural interstates. They say that the higher limit is good for commerce.

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2010/12/20/news/doc4d0f94dad1856825742516.txt

Note to self: make sure radar detector is ON while traveling through Illinois on next trip to Chicago.

jrcmlc
01-02-11, 03:18 PM
Reason #853 why I need to move.

Joe

IRONDOG
01-02-11, 05:22 PM
I know alot of you V brothers are in illinois and I wanted to give you guys a heads up on the new speeding laws that were enacted the beginning of this year....brace yourselves....

going 40 over= potentially 1 year in jail and no option for court supervision

Yes, that means if you're going 85mph (55mph base) on the highway you can get into some serious sh*t. People call it Blago's fault but it wasnt, he was the one I believe was blocking this law. We can all thank Mr. Quinn for this new b.s. money making move.

This is definitely total BS that should be rescinded!

Razorecko
01-02-11, 08:16 PM
This is definitely total BS that should be rescinded!

It should be but probably wont...I mean its all in the name of money, I mean "safety" right ?

aj660
01-02-11, 11:12 PM
With that type of fine its just worthwhile to get your car fully rigged out with a laser/detector system.

I agree 100%. For now, I think I'll just stay out of IL.

aj660
01-02-11, 11:15 PM

Wow, this is pretty hardcore... $1500 fine, misdemeanor, and possible jail for 30mph over.. I guess I should check the speeding laws in NY because I have no idea.

RippyPartsDept
01-02-11, 11:52 PM
prisons are actually money making big business these days... i think over half the states allow private prisons (not sure about Illinois i couldn't find a definitive list)

but in any case it's sad that most states spend about the same amount (sometimes more) on prisons/corrections than education

brlong23
01-03-11, 12:59 AM
Thank goodness here in Ohio the speed limit on the Turnpike will be 70 as of April 1, 2011 :woot: and there is movement in the Statehouse toward making the limit for cars 70 mph on the other rural interstates. They say that the higher limit is good for commerce.

I believe I-95 in Virginia is moving up to 70mph soon too...just means that gives me 5 more mph of wiggle room when explaining I wasn't paying attention. :)

MauiV
01-03-11, 01:21 AM
Thank goodness here in Ohio the speed limit on the Turnpike will be 70 as of April 1, 2011 :woot: and there is movement in the Statehouse toward making the limit for cars 70 mph on the other rural interstates.

Now if you could just get all the Ohioans doing 62 in the left lane OUT OF THE LEFT F*&#IN LANE in all the other states they clog traffic up in!!!!!!!

It should be legal to shoot anyone not passing in the left lane and leave them in the ditch as a warning to others.

baabootoo
01-03-11, 01:30 AM
You guys should be locked up, and the car impounded, for 30 over! We only get a 20 MPH cushion before doing "hard time" in WI.

Jesda
01-03-11, 06:16 AM
I've done things on I-55. I plead the fifth.

ben.gators
01-03-11, 06:37 AM
I believe I-95 in Virginia is moving up to 70mph soon too...just means that gives me 5 more mph of wiggle room when explaining I wasn't paying attention. :)

:yeah:

Ranger
01-03-11, 01:52 PM
If I was facing 1 year in jail, I don't know if pulling over would be in my best interest. This depends on the highway your on and how far the next exit is that you can slip into traffic.
You can't out run Motorola. Running is just an invitation for bigger problems when you get caught.

I mean its all in the name of money, I mean "safety" right ?
You bet it's about money. Remember, Ill. is second only to Ca. when it comes to deficits. We are in BIG trouble. Just before I retired in April I noticed a lot more "mobile tax collectors" on I90 (used to drive it daily). I don't think that was coincidental or in the "interest of safety".

orconn
01-03-11, 02:08 PM
$1500.00 doesn't seem like that much for 40 mph over the speed limit! Personally I like the way some of the European countries fine according to ability to pay; i. e. the more you can pay the more you have to pay. It really evens out the pain of a speeding ticket between those that can get their Fiats up to 150 KPH and those who are just cruising their Lambos!

Flavoade
01-03-11, 06:31 PM
If the state passes a law and a majority of the people disobey the law, the law is rendered null and void. Now this does not mean they wont try to enforce it. But considering the constitution is null and void to these people who make laws...

firstimecaddi
01-03-11, 10:32 PM
A couple years back Virginia enacted some really harsh traffic laws. There was major uproar because the fines which were levied were really stiff. Talking about thousands of dollars for as little as 15-20mph over the limit. Virginia's roads are mostly 55 and 65 mph though sections of I 85 and I 295 have recently been bumped to 70mph. Couple of the victims got together and created a petition to have the laws repealed and was eventually successful in achieving what they set out to.

delaford321
01-03-11, 10:40 PM
How would giving people jail time raise revenue? Doesn't that cost the state money to put people in jail?

Ranger
01-03-11, 11:22 PM
They are not going to put anyone in jail for speeding. They just want your money. They probably just had to throw that in there.

gary88
01-03-11, 11:27 PM
I've done things on I-55. I plead the fifth.

I-55 between the west burbs and downtown is like the autobahn of IL. The 55mph speed limit is an absolute joke.

Ranger
01-03-11, 11:44 PM
So is I90 (west of O'Hare), BUT they are not giving the leeway that they used to. At least that's how I see it, but I could be wrong.

EChas3
01-03-11, 11:50 PM
On any given day hundreds of cars exceed 85MPH on I-294 (Tristate Tollway) around Chicago.

How about double-or-nothing for 75 in a construction zone that hasn't been worked in weeks?

Not that I approve of speeding... I'm just sayin'

GizmoQ
01-04-11, 12:34 AM
This is really gonna cramp my style in my monthly trips to Chicago this year. :nono: