: 1970 DeVille Shocks

intragration
01-02-11, 03:07 AM
I went to order new shocks for the 1970 DeVille, and they told me that there were two non-air varieties available, the "regular" and the "heavy duty". I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what the heavy duty might consist of, and if it might possibly affect ride height, or only handling. What types of shocks are you having good experience with in your older cars? Thanks!

pompste
01-04-11, 06:31 AM
I went to order new shocks for the 1970 DeVille, and they told me that there were two non-air varieties available, the "regular" and the "heavy duty". I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what the heavy duty might consist of, and if it might possibly affect ride height, or only handling. What types of shocks are you having good experience with in your older cars? Thanks!

I recently had my rear air ride shocks on my '78 Deville replaced with passive/non-air shocks,since one of the air ride shocks was leaking oil, and i`m happy with the ride height and similar ride quality.I too was offered "regular" and "heavy duty" to choose from.I went with the heavy duty since they`re supposed to last longer and built stronger.They also work well with the existing rear springs.The brand name i went with was "GABRIEL" but i know MONROE and probably others make similar shocks.

cadillac_al
01-04-11, 09:01 AM
I would say it depends on how smooth your roads are. Sometimes heavy duty shocks will make a vehicle ride stiffer but if your roads aren't civilized, regular shocks may not be able to keep up and you may wish for heavy duty shocks.