: 1960 Series 62 Dashboard Color, Trim Codes

1960Sixty-Two
01-02-11, 12:20 AM
Recently, I've become the proud new owner of a 1960 Series 62 6-Window Sedan (Style 60-6229).

She's in good shape for an unrestored car, and with a little bit of mechanical work, new brake lines, wheel cylinders, fuel lines, etc, I've got her back on the road a reliable Sunday driver.

I'm in the slow process of restoring the car, and am trying to get a 'master plan' together. I will need to have the dashboard resurfaced at some point - but am having a hard time finding the original dashboard colors online.

The exterior trim code for this car was 16-12 (Aleutian Grey Body, White Top) with interior trim 33 (Blue Cloth). However, a previous owner repainted the car in a reasonable facsimile of Paint Code 50-12 (Pompeian Red, White), Leaving the interior untouched.

I'd like to keep the exterior in Red/White, but would like to have the interior redone in a factory match for that combination. I've been able to find the original factory trim codes and descriptions for the 60-6229 body style, but the dashboard color isn't listed. The factory parts list gives 'interior color combinations' including the lower instrument panel metallic covers - but still no dashboard.

Can anybody help with dash colors? For exterior paint code 50, I'd probably have the interior redone as code 30 or 31 (black or gray), which would correspond to black, white, or gray lower instrument panel covers - does anybody know what dash colors would correspond?

Any help or links appreciated,

Alex

77CDV
01-02-11, 06:06 PM
You'd be well advised to track down a 1960 salesmans data book on e-bay. It may be pricey, but it's the best guide you could possibly have for restoring your car.

brougham
01-02-11, 06:38 PM
A lot of the time the dashboard was only available one or two colours. That is probably why there's no listing for it.

sven914
01-02-11, 11:06 PM
^They were available in as many colors as the interior upholstery or body. Most of the one's I've seen have had two-toned dash boards. The top of the dash usually matched the car's body color and/or the most prevalent color in the interior, and the lower panel was colored to match the car roof color and/or the secondary interior color.

1960Sixty-Two
01-02-11, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I picked up a reproduction copy of the salesman's data book for a song - so, hopefully it's got all the info.

I'll post an update when I know more. Definitely still interested in opinions. If it were originally available, I'd love to do a Red Dash w/ White lower Dash/Glovebox.

I've talked w/ both JustDashes and Dashboard Restorations - does anybody have experience with either, or have other recommendations? Both seem like quality outfits.

Alex

brougham
01-03-11, 05:46 AM
^They were available in as many colors as the interior upholstery or body. Most of the one's I've seen have had two-toned dash boards. The top of the dash usually matched the car's body color and/or the most prevalent color in the interior, and the lower panel was colored to match the car roof color and/or the secondary interior color.

Usually original cars it was common for the dash to be black or grey. If it was coloured it matched the interior. If the interior was 2 tone the top of the dash matched the seat insert color and the bottom matched the border. But it all depended on what the coloring of the car was and how it was ordered. The data book should have the colour combinations, if it doesn't get into that much detailing stick with whatever looks best.

77CDV
01-04-11, 02:31 AM
The data book gets into excruciating detail about what trim colors go with which interior colors and exterior colors, and which combinations are prefered and which combinations are to be "politely discouraged" (to use the lingo of my 1969 data book).

1960Sixty-Two
01-15-11, 10:46 AM
Welp, the optional specifications manual arrived this week - and is indeed thoroughly detailed! Thanks for the Tip. It was worth the money just for the 1960 salesman lingo. "Negative customer reaction to price can be corrected with appropriate explanation"

The "recommended harmonious matches" to a Pompeian Red exterior were trim codes 30-31-35, which are roughly Black-Gray-Fawn interiour schemes. These had Black, Gray or, Cordovan Brown dashboards.

However, the full line of dashboard colors in 1960 consisted of Black, Sable Gray, Windsor Blue, Chianti Maroon, Cordovan Brown, Teal Blue, and Forest Green. So there it is - Chianti Maroon was available.

Don't suppose anybody has a color chip? The book is printed in black and white!

77CDV
01-15-11, 11:56 PM
I don't think you'll like the maroon with the bright red exterior. It's considerably darker and will result in a clashing tri-tone. If you really want a red dash, and you're not fanatical about authenticity, do the dash in a close match to the exterior color of the car. This will make the dash essentially an extention of the hood, and will blend much better.

Robin Banx
01-17-11, 10:04 PM
^What he said! Nice car.

Cheers..........R.